Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doormanpoet

Viridian update

10 posts in this topic

If you go to www.oxblue.com/client/rjgviridian, one can see that the pool is on floor 31. There are two floors above that! In other words, within the cap there are two extra floors. The building height far surpasses what Emporis has listed at 378 feet. The original story on Viridian back in January 2004 stated the building would be 410 feet, just one foot higher than the L&C.

William had stated there was a city ordinance banning any blocking of the L&C letters. (The curiosity got to both of us and he made a few calls.)

If one looks closely, the letters will be blocked from various angles especially from the west. Viridian will be a monster building when the spires are added.

I was looking at her while ago and commenting to myself that she's just really making some impact...it's a much more prominent tower than I'd expected. And she seems to just keep growing. I suppose it'll stop any day now.

I was just looking at the Viridian construction cam. They are just beginning framing in the ceiling for the top floor now. Above that will be a decorative cap I would estimate to be about 10 feet tall, and above the cap will be two spires about 15 feet tall. By the time those are added, the top of those spires will be darn close to the top of the L& C Tower. Forumer Duke32 who has access the the Viridian final drawings says the height is exactly 403 Ft 9 Inches to the top of the spires. The L& C Tower is officially listed at 409 Ft. It looks like Nashville soon will have another 400 Footer....our 6th. The new over 400 Ft list:

Bell South Tower.........33 Stories.....617 Ft

Financial Center..........31 Stories.....490 Ft

Snodgrass Tower.........31 Stories.....452 Ft

Life & Casualty Tower..30 Stories.....409 Ft

Viridian Tower.............33 Stories.....404 Ft

City Center.................27 Stories.....402 Ft

Before long we will be about to add the Signature Tower, and possibly the West End Summit to that list, plus the possibility exists for several other rumored projects.

The Viridian can stop any time. It is like a fungus on the side of the L&C that won't stop growing. Just kidding, I know how much you guys love this thing. A quick question though:

I have always wondered. Why do the spires, towers and whatever appendage they add count toward the height? I have always thought it should be habitable floors.

The Viridian can stop any time. It is like a fungus on the side of the L&C that won't stop growing. Just kidding, I know how much you guys love this thing. A quick question though:

I have always wondered. Why do the spires, towers and whatever appendage they add count toward the height? I have always thought it should be habitable floors.

The way I understand it is that spires count as long as they are purely an architectural component of the building and not something providing a secondary function such as a TV antenna. There are antenas on the Sears Tower in Chicago that never counted and the Petronas Towers in Malaysia had spires. Even though the Sears Tower would look considerably taller than the Petronas Towers if they were standing side by side (both the roof height the the antenna height of the Sears was higher than the Petronas spire height), the Petronas Towers were given the title upon their completion. There are official categories for building heights such as the roof height and the spire height. For some reason though, it has evolved so that it is the spire height which is used in determining the world's tallest building.

Friends,

I love spires on buildings, but they don't mean much in terms of a true height. In other words, a developer could building a 10-story, 100-foot-tall building and top it with a 1,000-foot-tall spire and claim he has a 1,100-foot-tall building. That would be, as I'm sure we all agree, a joke.

I feel the true height of the BellSouth Tower, for example, ends with its cap (from which the spires project). A tower's upper-most portion with substance (that is a habitable or non-habitable element with noticeable girth, mass, diameter, etc.) should be the measuring stick, not the top of a slender decorative spire.

WW

The way I understand it is that spires count as long as they are purely an architectural component of the building and not something providing a secondary function such as a TV antenna. There are antenas on the Sears Tower in Chicago that never counted and the Petronas Towers in Malaysia had spires. Even though the Sears Tower would look considerably taller than the Petronas Towers if they were standing side by side (both the roof height the the antenna height of the Sears was higher than the Petronas spire height), the Petronas Towers were given the title upon their completion. There are official categories for building heights such as the roof height and the spire height. For some reason though, it has evolved so that it is the spire height which is used in determining the world's tallest building.

When a large bug, or better yet--a really big bird or an airplane or a futuristic hyper rad spaceninja vehicle lands on a building, can you count its unique and totally contribution towards height? What if like the bug was frozen to it (the building)? And how come nobody is counting the height of Earth, too? I mean, Earth is really high...from the Great Stupa at Sanchi in India to the top of the Viridian Tower of Nashville, if you include Earth, is really tall and long. I haven't measured it, but it's awesome. What if like all of Paris was just one giant building. Whoa. Have you ever thought about what if you lie on your back and imagine your eyes make skyscrapers to the stars? I mean, your vision-lines? Awesome.

When a large bug, or better yet--a really big bird or an airplane or a futuristic hyper rad spaceninja vehicle lands on a building, can you count its unique and totally contribution towards height? What if like the bug was frozen to it (the building)? And how come nobody is counting the height of Earth, too? I mean, Earth is really high...from the Great Stupa at Sanchi in India to the top of the Viridian Tower of Nashville, if you include Earth, is really tall and long. I haven't measured it, but it's awesome. What if like all of Paris was just one giant building. Whoa. Have you ever thought about what if you lie on your back and imagine your eyes make skyscrapers to the stars? I mean, your vision-lines? Awesome.

^LOL!! :silly:

According to the CUHATB. Council on urban habitat and tall buildings, actual height is from the lowest point on the sidewalk to the top of the roof.

I have heard numerous heights for the Bellsouth:

617 feet from sidewalk to top of spires

660 feet from sidewalk to top of spires

624 feet from sidewalk to Bellsouth Logo

630 feet from sidewalk to right above the concrete cap

I think it is 617 feet from sidewalk to top of spire which would make the actually building around 550 feet or so. I my opinion, it really does not matter. It is one big SOB!

If math is correct, 28 floors times 12 feet per floor is 336 feet of actual floor height

Approxiamately a 30 foot lobby brings it to 366 feet

Add approxiamately 200 feet for the blue glass area and it comes out to 566 feet

Add a 90 foot spire and it is 656 feet

With these approximations minus a 30 foot lobby making it a 15 foot lobby makes the building 641 feet.

Whew!