Kalamazoo Housing

Hi,

I searched for a thread on this, but was unable to find anything. That said, forgive me me if this is redundant.

Does anyone know of a place where I could find cheap housing near downtown/WMU? I'm working in downtown Kalamazoo this summer and would prefer not to drive a ton. I don't necessarily need a place from you -- if you can point me toward another resource or Web site, that will be a great start. Right now I'm just frustrated because most sites (like apartments.com, rent.com, etc.,.) keep directing me to places in the outer fringes, and none of them are under $400 a month.

Anyhow, sorry again if this is redundant. I'm gonna be quiet now and see if anyone responds / sends me to another thread.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look in the Student Ghetto (bordered by Davis, South, Rose and Crosstown Parkway). Mostly old homes divided into apartments--real close to downtown. South and Lovell streets have several in really good condition. I lived on Dutton there for four years and loved it, my wife lived on Minor in a great place. When I worked for the Kalamazoo Symphony I would walk to work, it was awesome.

With school ending in two weeks, chances are you can find some really good deals for the summer. Just drive down the street, there are For Rent signs everywhere.

The area has a small business district along Westnedge with a coffee shop, bagelry, bookstore, tatoo parlor--all the essentials (obvs). Plus at Vine and Locust is Cosmo's Cucina (one of the best restaurants in town) and O'Duffy's an outstanding Irish Bar.

Good luck!

I searched for a thread on this, but was unable to find anything. That said, forgive me me if this is redundant.

Does anyone know of a place where I could find cheap housing near downtown/WMU? I'm working in downtown Kalamazoo this summer and would prefer not to drive a ton. I don't necessarily need a place from you -- if you can point me toward another resource or Web site, that will be a great start. Right now I'm just frustrated because most sites (like apartments.com, rent.com, etc.,.) keep directing me to places in the outer fringes, and none of them are under $400 a month.

Anyhow, sorry again if this is redundant. I'm gonna be quiet now and see if anyone responds / sends me to another thread.

I had good luck with these folks in GR: http://www.rpoaonline.org/ Implies there are other local groups.

If you can get to the area in question, try pounding the pavement--concentrate on the bulletin boards in establishments that cater to your demographic. (Coffee bars, laundramats, health food stores, etc.)

WMU might have off-campus housing listings available on line. I know that U-M does.

Good luck!

A lot of times in the Summer, you'll find students who are tying to fill "roommate holes" for those that don't stay in Kzoo over the Summer. Especially as others have said in the Lovell area. That might be the only way you get close to $400/month too. Check the Kzoo Gazette for "roommates needed" or "rooms for rent", or the Western Herald if it is still published. :thumbsup:

Then, no one will ever see it, :lol: so it won't matter that it's in the wrong forum :rofl:

Don't quite understand what your obsession is with this thread evac311? More people visit the GR Coffee House than the Michigan forum.

Move on to something else.

Archived