Unveiling of the Townes statue

gs3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ceremony was absolutely an awesome tribute to one of Greenville's finest natives ever. :D

CharlesTownes_01.jpg

The future is looking very bright for Greenville. After the ceremony, a report was made regarding "phase II" of the Charles Townes legacy - a dream we have shared in a previous thread on the subject. Laser beams bouncing off of buildings in downtown and forming a canopy overhead. A sign signifying Greenville as a laser light center and announcing a new museum on Heritage Green dedicated to the laser. A laser projecting the Greenville City logo onto Reedy Falls... :yahoo:

The future is looking very bright for Greenville. After the ceremony, a report was made regarding "phase II" of the Charles Townes legacy - a dream we have shared in a previous thread on the subject. Laser beams bouncing off of buildings in downtown and forming a canopy overhead. A sign signifying Greenville as a laser light center and announcing a new museum on Heritage Green dedicated to the laser. A laser projecting the Greenville City logo onto Reedy Falls... :yahoo:

Definitely want to hear more about this!!!!! Sounds awesome! :yahoo:

This ceremony was absolutely an awesome tribute to one of Greenville's finest natives ever. :D

CharlesTownes_01.jpg

Me too! Tell me more!

The report was vague, but included the possibility of lasers being directed from Townes Plaza to Heritage Green, via bouncing off of buildings overhead. Also, lasers directed from the sign along the Interstate to the museum. Other information was basically similar to what I've already spoken. :shades:

We took a walk down Main Street today. It was a beautiful day in Greenville! The weather was awesome. People were walking all around downtown. It was busier than usual due to the afternoon G-Drive ballgame and the Grrrowl game. We saw that pacersfan's dad was playing a Violin on Piazza Bergamo. My little girl definitely enjoyed that. :thumbsup: We then strolled on down to RiverPlace where my daughter instantly fell in love with the Townes Statue. It's very nicely done. You can even read the break-through formula on the #10 envelope.

okay....i have a question. All the other statues downtown are just under lifesize scale (or appear to be) but the Townes statue is over lifesize...is there a reason for this?

I was wondering the same thing. I suppose it's up to who was commissioned to create the sculpture, but it is somewhat larger than life.

It is extra special that Greenville was able to obtain an actual bench from the actual park in DC where Dr. Townes first discovered the formula. When they called back attempting to acquire additional benches from the park after hearing they were being replaced, the answer was that no one should have been able to get one because they are government property. Not to be defeated, the City of Greenville has found a manufacturer who will make the exact same benches and has ordered five more for Townes Plaza. :thumbsup:

Is the laser green for Greenville?

I think I might like the idea of any lasers incorporated throughout the city to be green. Wouldn't that be appropriate since we are Greenville? I don't know if I like the idea of a laser light show or lasers connecting points throughout the city, but I think one tall highrise with green lasers outlining it or involved with it somehow would be great. :thumbsup:

Archived