Condos in West End

downtown cliff

Article in Davidson AM of Tennessean today:

Davidson AM link

I just wonder how much more valuable the property where the nasty Walgreens sits would be worth if they had rehabbed the Jacksonian, put in an urban Walgreens on the ground floor, and made the upper stories into condos. I have a love/hate relationship with Walgreens. I love the downtown store and appreciate it being there, but I hate what the corporation has done to the corner of 31st and West End and so many other urban intersections.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you seen the "New Jacksonian" further down West End (I thnk)? Its a great rebuild of the original. But I do agree with you whole-heartedly. I remember the "Save Jack" signs all about town before the Walgreens was built.

Article in Davidson AM of Tennessean today:

Davidson AM link

I just wonder how much more valuable the property where the nasty Walgreens sits would be worth if they had rehabbed the Jacksonian, put in an urban Walgreens on the ground floor, and made the upper stories into condos. I have a love/hate relationship with Walgreens. I love the downtown store and appreciate it being there, but I hate what the corporation has done to the corner of 31st and West End and so many other urban intersections.

If Walgreens were half as forward sighted as you, my friend, they would twice as successful as they are. What a terrible waste that was.

While Walgreens should be condemned for giving us a banal eyesore in the middle of our city, the people who really should feel stupid are the members of the Rochford family who owned the Jacksonian and who sold it to Walgreens on the premise that no one would ever want to live at that corner. They lost a lot of money with that very shortsighted decision.

While Walgreens should be condemned for giving us a banal eyesore in the middle of our city, the people who really should feel stupid are the members of the Rochford family who owned the Jacksonian and who sold it to Walgreens on the premise that no one would ever want to live at that corner. They lost a lot of money with that very shortsighted decision.

With all that's happening at the intersection of 31st and West End, the Rochford family must think they were idiots too by now.

Archived