Sidewalks in DTRaleigh

Justin6882

So I went for a walk this morning b/c the Internet was down at work and I couldn't do anything, and I noticed that they are working on some of the sidewalks downtown. Most notably, the one in front of Raleigh Times Bar (They'll be closed till the 12th btw). Obviously the sidewalks downtown seem to be a mismash of concrete, pavers, asphault, etc and many are crumbling or uneven.

What priority should the city put on replacing sidewalks downtown? Or what about places downtown that don't have sidewalks at all? How do quality sidewalks, which really is part of the presentation of an area and part of the pedestrian experience, affect people's perception of an area and will having good sidewalks entice more people to come downtown?

Orulz mentioned in another thread about how the city lets developers completely block of sidewalks during construction and just reroutes pedestrians to the other side - does Raleigh put the pedestrian experience on the backburner in downtown as well (since clearly they do in N. Raleigh, etc)?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had seen this yesterday... I tried to go to Raleigh Times with an out-of-town guest last night for some late night grub... we ended up at Humble Pie, so it all worked out. Anyway, I think it is funny that people have spent more time discussing whether we should put a mall downtown ( :huh: wtf?!) I do think that pedestrian traffic is not given the consideration it deserves, through out the whole city, not just downtown. In most other cities I visit, downtown sidewalks are rarely completely blocked, often they have those scaffolding/plywood tunnels for you to walk through that end up covered with posters for movies. I am hesitent to endorse anything that would make downtown development even more difficult than it already is, but I do think it would help the image of downtown if pedestrians were given more consideration. On the weekends I see people pushing strollers on the sidewalks, and it just seems like a big pain for those people to navigate all the construction zones... it is also kind of dangerous, because if you try to just walk on the street, around a construction zone, and a car comes along, you don't have anywhere to go, as the sidewalk is completely blocked right up to the street by fencing. I speak from personal experience...

I will say, having moved to NC four years ago, that one of the things that took me by surprise about the Triangle was the lack of sidewalks. Most neighborhoods lack sidewalks and some DT areas in the Triangle also lack sidewalks. I've noticed this is the case for most southern cities I have visited. Coming from the West, where it is rare to find a DT or neighborhood without sidewalks, it is disturbing to me that there is a disregard for pedestrians. In my opinion it definately increases an individuals reliance on the automobile.

I will say, having moved to NC four years ago, that one of the things that took me by surprise about the Triangle was the lack of sidewalks. Most neighborhoods lack sidewalks and some DT areas in the Triangle also lack sidewalks. I've noticed this is the case for most southern cities I have visited. Coming from the West, where it is rare to find a DT or neighborhood without sidewalks, it is disturbing to me that there is a disregard for pedestrians. In my opinion it definately increases an individuals reliance on the automobile.

Ever try to "cross" in Crossroads? It's like running across the 10 freeway!

There might be one sidewalk in all of crossroads that isn't in front of a store. I walked from Dicks Sporting Goods to Old Navy along the diagonal and was almost hit twice. Cars would just speed through the parking lots and not even slow down, knowing that they'd win in a collision. Crossing the main "street" that runs back to the theater was worse than playing frogger, and this was at 8 on a weeknight.

For the most part, downtown sidewalks are plentiful, but poorly maintained. If there is any chance for a plant or dirt to get into the pathway, it will happen. Curb cuts are a joke in approx. half of all interesections, which is slowly being fixed by the new construction.

In neighborhoods, though, sidewalks are either only on one side of the street or non-existent. If people aren't going to drive somewhere, they can walk in the street.

The difficult thing about sidewalks in Raleigh's neighborhoods is the high price tag associated with it. I know if there is a seidewalk that need repair on your property, it costs the homeowner quite a bit. I'm not sure about new sidewalks though. Does the property owner have to foot the bill?

The difficult thing about sidewalks in Raleigh's neighborhoods is the high price tag associated with it. I know if there is a seidewalk that need repair on your property, it costs the homeowner quite a bit. I'm not sure about new sidewalks though. Does the property owner have to foot the bill?

I am no expert but in a new neighborhood, the builder usually has to put in the sidewalks along with making sure the road meets State Roads requirements. The state will then take over the maintenance of the road. For sidewalks, the city will charge the homeowner if it needs drastic repairs (I think)

It is a pretty good price for what you get. The high cost of concrete makes sidewalks even more expensive and I think that is why you see sidewalks only on one side in some newer neighborhoods.

I could be all wrong on this as again, I am no expert.

I think the city is replacing aged sidewalks in small phases. the lastest project is the hillsborough st. 600 & 700 blocks. i believe they are headed to the warehouse district next. eventually, all the main pedestrian areas will have nice sidewalks.

I think the city is replacing aged sidewalks in small phases. the lastest project is the hillsborough st. 600 & 700 blocks. i believe they are headed to the warehouse district next. eventually, all the main pedestrian areas will have nice sidewalks.

The ware house area? Wow, what a waste, the new sidewalks will be ripped up anyway as that area is renovated.

Archived