Riverchase Galleria

memphian

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be driving through Bham this evening and I want to take a detour. Has anyone visited Belk since they took over Proffitt's? Anything of note changed? Is it worth my time to drop in?

It's a waste of time. They have basically trashed that store. They turned the innovative location of Proffitts into a typical boring department store. I really wished Saks Incorporated had sold the location to Nordstrom or back to Federated to make it a Bloomingdale's (both of which have been seriously persuing Birmingham locations).

I agree, Leonard23.

I'm not much of a shopper, but that Proffitt's department store was my favorite anywhere.

It was innovative and reminiscent of old-school department stores, back when

they were more than just clothing.

Belk's seems more like a McRae's or other generic mid-range store.

I didn't make it into Bham. I did see another McRae's that Belk has trashed. Why is it that they're stores are so.... well, crappy? I have never seen such bad taste in clothing. I don't think Belk will do well with these new stores.

• 1 year later...

RIVERCHASE IS CONSIDERING ADDING LIFESTYLE CENTER ASPECT

Galleria considers new look

The most recent developments involving Belk leaving the 255,000 square-foot building formerly occupied by Macy's and Proffitts maybe either be filling by another tenant or torn down and replaced with a lifestyle center. Belk is to move to the convert over the current Riverchase Parisian and add a spa and childrens store to the upper level of the former McRae's. The plan on spending $100 million in upgrades to both spaces.

The word is Dillard's or Nordstrom are the 2 serious contenders as possible tenants of the space. However, the mall's co-owner, General Growth, is going to buy the space once Belk vacants the space in August.

2 possible scenerios may occur:

The space may be filled with a new tenant and kept as is. OR The space will be torn down and the portions of the both the North and South Parking Decks will be removed to make way for a new lifestyle center aspect similar to Brookwood. The major difference between this and Brookwood would be that Riverchase would add a large anchor to this expansion like another department store.

I am personally hoping that the new addition does bring Nordstrom and possible a Crate & Barrel also. These 2 would give Riverchase that competitive and upscale boost that it seems to be lacking these days.

I think both are great ideas, I think the added lifestyle portion would be better since it too comes with an anchor. I think Nordstrom and Crate & Barrel would make for great additons. I would also love to see a Guess store, Cole Haan, Armani Exchange, L' Occitane, and Abuelo's Mexican Embassy restaurant. With at least some of these additions, this could complete Birmingham shopping. If Century Plaza try the same thing, that mall could be successful. If not, maybe it could be converted into an entertainment outlet mall complete with arcades, bowling, ice skating, etc. The Summit better watch out..."the Galleria could soon take it's place as Birmingham's "true" upscale shopping destination.

I think both are great ideas, I think the added lifestyle portion would be better since it too comes with an anchor. I think Nordstrom and Crate & Barrel would make for great additons. I would also love to see a Guess store, Cole Haan, Armani Exchange, L' Occitane, and Abuelo's Mexican Embassy restaurant. With at least some of these additions, this could complete Birmingham shopping. If Century Plaza try the same thing, that mall could be successful. If not, maybe it could be converted into an entertainment outlet mall complete with arcades, bowling, ice skating, etc. The Summit better watch out..."the Galleria could soon take it's place as Birmingham's "true" upscale shopping destination.

Hopefully, a Morton's will come with this also. :thumbsup:

I agree with that, but even better than that, I'd like to see a D&B attached to the new entertainment district at the BJCC.

I do agree a major redevelopment needs to be done to such a large building. I think General Growth should try to lure AMF Bowling Centers back to the Birmingham area with this location. Since the Eastwood Lanes closed back in 2003, there are no AMF Bowling Centers in the region. The closest one is the Bama Lanes in Tuscaloosa, and Huntsville-Decatur has 3. Birmingham is too big to not have an AMF Bowling Center. I know that there is no bowling centers on this side of Hoover at the moment, so this would be the perfect redevelopment for Riverchase.

I do agree, Dave & Busters would be better suited for the BJCC entertainment district also.

If anything around "the Galleria," I think that Jillians would be the most suitable since many of them find homes near malls. Most, if not all, of these come with a bowling alley inside, so there would really be no need to build a bowling alley if Jillians was at "the Galleria." I think a Putting Edge indoor putt-putt golf course would be great inside the mall,as well as, a laser tag store...just to through that out there.

If anything around "the Galleria," I think that Jillians would be the most suitable since many of them find homes near malls. Most, if not all, of these come with a bowling alley inside, so there would really be no need to build a bowling alley if Jillians was at "the Galleria." I think a Putting Edge indoor putt-putt golf course would be great inside the mall,as well as, a laser tag store...just to through that out there.

Correct myself, after looking it up, I think the Jillians would be better suited for the BJCC distict since most of their Southeastern locations are in downtown areas. Dave & Busters would be better suited for a suburban location like the former Galleria 10 in Riverchase.

• 4 weeks later...

General Growth, is going to buy the space once Belk vacants the space in August.

Just wanted to add that Belk will not be vacating its current location until November 1. The current Belk is getting no fall clothing shipments, as those are going to the current Parisian space. However, the Home Store, which is the entire 3rd Floor of Belk is still getting new shipments and will get many of them until it makes its move around November 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that "the Galleria" has a good amount of vacancies. Does anyone know if there are any new stores that are supposed to open? I absolutely love the new ALDO store.

Libby Lu, which is currently leasing space at the front of Belk, is looking into leasing its own store front to open later this year.

I think the Galleria is having problems keeping tenants. Bottom line is that the demographics are changing in the Riverchase/Hoover area. First, I'm not a fan of any suburbia area, but I think there is a big difference in 280 area and Riverchase-31 area demographics. I hope the Galleria pulls in Nordstrom and Crate&Barrel, we know Birmingham really wants them, but one has to agree they would do much better at The Summit or Brookwood. I think the only reason the Brookwood renovation has been so successful is because its location, nestled in Homewood and Mountain Brook, 280-31. But anyway best luck to the Galleria.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you. I also think that the Riverchase Galleria should be more like the Houston Galleria. I'd probably know that Saks Fifth Avenue may or may not be supported in the Riverchase Galleria, since there's already 1 @ The Summit. That would've been a great idea of putting a Saks at the former McRae's, and expanding it.

I agree with you. I also think that the Riverchase Galleria should be more like the Houston Galleria. I'd probably know that Saks Fifth Avenue may or may not be supported in the Riverchase Galleria, since there's already 1 @ The Summit. That would've been a great idea of putting a Saks at the former McRae's, and expanding it.

I don't think that The Summit wants to let SFA go. Of course, there's only one SFA in Alabama and it's at the Summit, so, obviously there isn't going to be one opening anytime soon.

I think the Galleria is having problems keeping tenants. Bottom line is that the demographics are changing in the Riverchase/Hoover area. First, I'm not a fan of any suburbia area, but I think there is a big difference in 280 area and Riverchase-31 area demographics. I hope the Galleria pulls in Nordstrom and Crate&Barrel, we know Birmingham really wants them, but one has to agree they would do much better at The Summit or Brookwood. I think the only reason the Brookwood renovation has been so successful is because its location, nestled in Homewood and Mountain Brook, 280-31. But anyway best luck to the Galleria.

When you have a large mall...it becomes a regional pull and its success has little to do with the local demographics. The tenant mixture has to provide something that you can not get anywhere else within a 50 mile...or so....radius. Once upon a time, you would have to drive to Atlanta to get access to certain stores.....today...you can get just about anything anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Galleria makes way for new anchor

I personally hope that they could lure Dillards, and The Summit could get rid of the cinema or Brunos to make way for Nordstroms; whichever center those stores end up in, would be great since Birmingham wants both. Both are great stores, but Nordstroms just seems better for The Summit. I hope Colonial properties decides to make a lifestyle addition to the western end of Brookwood Mall, and possibly add another Dillards to the area.

• 3 months later...

This is great for Bham... Nordstrom states the store will only be 2 levels and 143,000 sq. ft. I know the old Macy's building is 3 levels and well over 200,00 sq. ft. - anyone know if they'll be tearing the old building down and starting anew? Nordstrom does have a track record for doing this...

How is Belk adapting to Bham? I can tell you the Nashville/Cool Springs store (formerky Parisian) is decidedly down-market.

Archived