Water Trouble?

bigboyz05

Here in the Texarkana area we're having major problems with our water. It smells and tastes like dirt. I don't cook or drink with that crap. I buy water to do that. The water utility people say the water is safe to drink but, who in the hell wants to drink water that tastes like it comes from a creek. I called to complain but, the line is busy every time I call. TWU(Texarkana Water Utilities) should give customers a discount for the time when the water isn't good because who wants to pay $33.00 a month for something they can barely use? Has anyone in other parts of the state has/had an experience like this?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in the Texarkana area we're having major problems with our water. It smells and tastes like dirt. I don't cook or drink with that crap. I buy water to do that. The water utility people say the water is safe to drink but, who in the hell wants to drink water that tastes like it comes from a creek. I called to complain but, the line is busy every time I call. TWU(Texarkana Water Utilities) should give customers a discount for the time when the water isn't good because who wants to pay $33.00 a month for something they can barely use? Has anyone in other parts of the state has/had an experience like this?

This happens to NWA twice a year. In the spring and in the fall when the water 'turns over' with the changing temps. In your case it's probably because with the drought they've had to start drawing water from a lower level of whatever body of water they're drawing it from. You probably can't get through on the phone because everyone else is complaining as well. You might have these problems till you get substantial rainfall. Any idea where they draw they're water from? I'm sure it is safe to drink but certainly not pleasant like it is up here when it happens. Bottled water is probably the best way to go till it clears up. You can tell when the lake turns over up here, the sale of bottled water really shoots up.

When I lived there the water only sucked in the fall. It smelled so bad you didn't even want to take a shower.

Hey Mith thanks for your input. We mainly get our water from Wright Patman Lake or Millwood Lake.

No problem. I figured it might be a lake from the sound of it. I haven't heard many people complain in other areas of the state. I don't know if Beaver Lake is particularly bad because of it's size or depth but we end up with bad tasting water twice a year. I expect it will be occuring up here pretty soon.

• 4 months later...

Little Rock water, for whatever reason, tastes very good and never has periods when the quality changes. Hot Springs, like Dallas, is so odd-tasting we buy bottled water. I even think it places highly in national water taste tests.

As much as we grip about what Central Ark Water is doing with development at Lake Maumelle, they deliver a quality product.

A lot of the issues with water tasting bad in other areas right now are because of having to use alternate reservoirs because of low lake levels.

During the Spring and Fall, Beaver Lake "turns over" and the water tastes like dirt for a few weeks.

Yeah get to look forward to that in another month or two. I don't always here this happening with other lakes quite so much. Not sure if some other area have better ways to 'process' their water or if it has anything to do with the size or depth of Beaver Lake.

Hi, I'm from Michigan in the Downriver area of Metro Detroit.

For a couple of years two or three years back, our water used to get smelly and a little darker than normal a few times a year. They would tell us it was ok to drink, but yeah who wanted to...and showering in it wasn't fun either.

Ours was due to Zebra Mussels. They were clinging to the bottoms of ships and falling off into our lakes, attaching themselves to pipes, clogging and overburdening our water plants.

This hasn't happened in a couple of years so they must have been successful in thinning the Zebra Mussels out.

Hi, I'm from Michigan in the Downriver area of Metro Detroit.

For a couple of years two or three years back, our water used to get smelly and a little darker than normal a few times a year. They would tell us it was ok to drink, but yeah who wanted to...and showering in it wasn't fun either.

Ours was due to Zebra Mussels. They were clinging to the bottoms of ships and falling off into our lakes, attaching themselves to pipes, clogging and overburdening our water plants.

This hasn't happened in a couple of years so they must have been successful in thinning the Zebra Mussels out.

I think I've heard about them in Arkansas too, but as far as I know they aren't the cause of any water problems around here.

Archived