Utah Mining Company Building New City

Hankster

I saw this article in today's Chattanooga Times Free Press about a mega city that Kennecott Utah Copper Company plans to build on 144 Sq Miles of land near Salt Lake City. It sounds fabulous, with high density, street cars, and tied to Salt Lake City. Maybe you Westerners have already discussed this, but this project is simply amazing, so I thought I would post it. Here's the link:

Utah Mining Company Building New City

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a flight to Phoenix this past summer I read in one of their magazines they offered about a plan to develop some Phoenix suburb... Davy City, or something like that? It's in the southwestern part of the metro.

Anyways, the Phoenix project pails in comparison to this one, as I think it was only projected around 300,000.

Edit: Sorry the place is actually called Buckeye, but I can't seem to find the article I was looking for.

Is the market there for this size of suburb? Will this bleed Salt Lake City dry, sucking every inhabitant and business from the city over those 50 years, or do they expect it to just draw in the necessary population from outside the Salt lake City area?

Sounds cool if it's viable... a large city just built from scratch.

Is the market there for this size of suburb? Will this bleed Salt Lake City dry, sucking every inhabitant and business from the city over those 50 years, or do they expect it to just draw in the necessary population from outside the Salt lake City area?

Sounds cool if it's viable... a large city just built from scratch.

About 10,000 people per year would be moving into this suburb over the 50 year period. Recently, the SLC area has been growing quite a bit more than that. Heres a drawing showing the vastness of the project area. The area owned by Kennecott Copper Co. is outlined in red.

MegaSuburb.jpg

I wonder if this is the largest housing project ever conceived in the U.S? Has anyone ever heard of a larger project? It really sounds like a wonderful concept to me and I hope it's really successful.

Summerlin, started in 1951 outside of Las Vegas, will eventually have 160,000 residents, and was land previously owned by Howard Hughes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerlin

However, Summerlin does not have the "New Urbanist" density/transit/walkability that this Kennecott project is talking about doing.

On a flight to Phoenix this past summer I read in one of their magazines they offered about a plan to develop some Phoenix suburb... Davy City, or something like that? It's in the southwestern part of the metro.

Anyways, the Phoenix project pails in comparison to this one, as I think it was only projected around 300,000.

Edit: Sorry the place is actually called Buckeye, but I can't seem to find the article I was looking for.

I think you're referring to Sun Valley. It was supposed to go up in the 80's, but they ended up building nothing but a 4-lane, divided road that goes something like 30 miles into the desert and makes a non-sensical loop between I-10 in Buckeye and US 60 in Surprise.

Article is here

The West is full of these "new city" pipe dreams. There was one a couple of years ago to the northwest of Tucson, and that developer is now being sued by the state and federal governments for various violations. I don't see this new one in Utah as getting off the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, what they've done so far is very nice...with the expansion of light rail on the ballot this fall, this could really help the area grow nicely. As it is, it's been pretty hodge-podge, but that's really the only part of the Salt Lake Valley that isn't built-out, with a few pockety exceptions. If the SL Valley is going to add any population at all, it's gotta be West.

• 1 month later...

I think it's feaseable. I know SLC is growing pretty fast Utah is one of the five fastest growing states in the country. Just how does one go about building a mega suburb out of nothing these days?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife's brother just graduated with his Master's in electrical engineering and was hired by Rocky Mountain Power--one of the projects his team is over is preparing for this megaproject. They're going after this very aggressively, and fully expect it to move forward on a faster timetable than we might realize. I'll see if I can get any more info out of him as time goes on--but it's a very exciting project. It'll completely transform this place.

Whether that's good or bad. At least they're planning it.

• 1 year later...

Archived