East Tennessee Picture of the Day

I've seen this on other forums, and I thought it would be a good idea to have an East Tennessee picture of the day thread. I would like to ask all East Tennessee forumers to post one picture a day, if they can, of their city or town with a little discription. We would love to have nyone from outside East Tennessee who have pictures from East Tennessee to post here as well. To start things off, I thought I would post two pictures from Chattanooga. I'll back off to only one pic in future posts.

The first shot is taken from the corner of Georgia Ave and Martin Luther King in downtown Chattanooga. The building on the right is the 12 story Volunteer Life Building built in 1917, and the building in the background is the Dome Building. It was Chattanooga's first highrise and was built in 1899.

PB190650.jpg

This shot is of my favorite downtown "watering hole", The Pickel Barrel. It's like a mini Flat Iron building and I love the atmoshere inside. You can dine on the roof, and there are great views up there.

PB190654.jpg

Edited by Hankster

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent idea. I will try to take as many as possible and post here frequently.

I've seen this on other forums, and I thought it would be a good idea to have an East Tennessee picture of the day thread. I would like to ask all East Tennessee forumers to post one picture a day, if they can, of their city or town with a little discription.

Excellent idea. I will try to take as many as possible and post here frequently.

I look forward to your posts!

Here's one for today. Here's a shot of the new River Pier Landing project that has been recently completed. It is located on the downtown waterfront next to the Aquarium and is a mixed use retail / luxury condo project. There are two excellent restaurants which have recently opened on the bottom level.

PB190722.jpg

Here's a picture of the free electric shuttle station at the northern terminus near the Tennessee Aquarium. The line runs from the Choo Choo Hilton hotel on the southern edge of downtown about 20 blocks to this station. There's never a long wait for a shuttle and it's completely free! The shuttle is electric, very quiet, and non polluting.

PB190724.jpg

Thanks RK for your contribution. I've admired that building many times while I've been in Knoxville. I decided to look up details about the building on Emporis. That's the Plaza Tower, 27 Stories, 327 Ft High built in 1979. It's the tallest building in East Tennessee, I beleive. It's time we build one over here taller than that, IMO.

Here's today's installment from Chattanooga. This is a shot of the Hunter Museum taken last Fall. Note the $20 Million modern addition to the Museum next to the Classical Old Souther Mansion style of the original museum. There is a '70s style part of the museum too (not seen in this picture). The museum addition and artwork were all part of the $120 Million 21 Century Waterfront Project completed in 2005.

PB190696.jpg

Excellent photos! I am off tomorrow (Tuesday), so I am going to try to get some of the area. I am planning on going to Kingsport tomorrow to pick up a Windmill palm at a greenhouse, so maybe some from that fair city too!

I look forward to seeing your pics!

Here's a close up of the modern facade of the Hunter Museum.

PB190697.jpg

OK - I was out and about today, but not in downtown Bristol. I have already posted those here anyway, but I am sure I can get different ones later on.

I had originally planned on going to Kingsport today, but really had to go to Colonial Heights, which is a suburb south of Kingsport. We ended up on the south side of Kingsport anyway, because of a missed turn. :D

Anyway, not too many of buildings, but some are. Here are some taken along the way......

Photo of Bristol Motor Speedway - facing north. I had to take a turn off of HWY 394 to get this view:

000_0113.jpg

Here is one of the "Raceway Condo" we have been talking about on another forum. This is the first completed building. Apparently, several more are under construction. Building is larger than it looks in this photo. This was taken from in front of the race track - on the Volunteer Parkway.

000_0114.jpg

Got back on HWY 394, heading toward I-81, passing through Blountville, I took this photo of the Sullivan County courthouse:

000_0117.jpg

Not building, but here are some trees (loblolly pines?) I took heading down I-81:

000_0118.jpg

Exit 63 - Tri-Cities Airport exit:

000_0119.jpg

Photo taken just after exiting off of I-81 - heading toward Kingsport:

000_0120.jpg

Heading back out of Colonial Heights - this is one of the main streets. Its just a small suburb south of Kingsport, but it is a VERY BUSY little town. They have a Super Wal-Mart on the main road, so that may have something to do with it. Also, one of the largest southern magnolias I have ever saw on that road. I did not get to get a photo of it. :(

000_0121.jpg

Lastly, heading back north on I-81 - more trees. This part of the interstate is covered in pine trees. :)

000_0122.jpg

Unfortunately, my new camera only takes about 8-10 photos, before the memory runs out. I really need to get a memory card soon to be able to take more photos. Sorry if these are small. I had to resize them, because I did not want to overload the system. Hopefully they are sufficient. Hopefully more of buildings next time.

I look forward to seeing more photos here.

Here's a picture I took of the Electric Shuttle route. It's really quite extensive throughout the downtown Chattanooga area. There are lots and lots of stops, so wherever you are in the downtown area, you're not far from one. There's never a long wait at any of the stops. And the best thing about it...IT'S FREE!!!!!!

PB190725.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Here's my next picture of the day. Standing next to each other in Chattanooga are two very fine examples of early 20th century highrise architecture. On the left is the 12 story James Building built in 1907 and on the right is the 13 story McClellan Building built in 1924.

PB190673.jpg

I'm sure I'll add a few more shots of the Cleveland and Polk areas of SE Tennessee soon

Great to have you back posting again, Habanero! What's the name of the building in Cleveland you posted?

Here's my next contribution. It's a detail closeup of the James Building detail near the top.

PB190674.jpg