East Tennessee Picture of the Day

The Dome Building is awesome. Do you have any idea as to why they built this building in this way? Was it used for government purposes or something way back when?

I did some research but couldn't find out why the building was built with the dome or cuppola on top. I found out that building was actually constructed in 1892, and was Chattanooga's first "high rise". It was built by Adolph S. Ochs for the Chattanooga Times newspaper. It was known as the Chattanooga Times Building back then. The architecture is described as Italian Renaissance style. Later, The Chattanooga Times moved out of the building and the buildings name was changed to the Dome Building. It still houses numerous businesses today. Here's a link to the Emporis description of The Dome Building.

The Dome Building

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple more shots of my hometown. The first is a cute, distinctive little building located on Market Street downtown. I don't know it's name.

PB190664.jpg

The second shows some of the wide landscaped sidewalks that can be found on Market Steet.

PB190666.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Here's a few more downtown pictures. The first two are of the Dome Building in the background. The large building in the foreground is being coverted to condos...very nice.

PB190667.jpg

PB190669.jpg

The shot shows the Chattanooga Bank Building in the foreground and the James Building in the background.

PB190668.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Very nice, Hankster. How large is the downtown area?

Here's a downtown map I found on the internet. The downtown area is actually bigger than what is on the map. It extands several blocks more to the south. The area north of the river on the map is a burgeoning area known a Northshore. The heart of that area is Frazier St. Many people walk from the Aquarium, etc to the Northshore.

Downtown Chattanooga map.

Edited by Hankster

Thanks. I finally got out today with my camera when I went to the cemetary to visit my grandmothers grave and had to go into town, so I took SEVERAL photos! I hope to get them all posted soon. I should have enough to post for a while. I will also post some on the Bristol site too.

Some are probably of some buildings I have took before. I have not posted this one however. This is a very old run down building on the west side of downtown on West State Street. I think it used to be a hospital before the "new" one was built in the early 1950s. The "new" hospital was demolitioned in the mid 1990s, when another new 6-level hospital was built off of I-81 on the extreme west side of Bristol.

Some of my family members were born in this building I think. I will check and verify. It was mentioned not too long ago that this building was ordered by the city to be demolished or restored. I have not heard what the owner is going to do. I personally would hate to see it demolished. I think it should be renovated and turned into a retirement home or something. I have heard that alot of homeless people actually live in the building now. Pretty sad. There is a huge apartment complex behind this building. Not a good place to be at night.

100_0286.jpg

While I am posting, here is another photo I took earlier this evening (May 14) of the northeast side of downtown. This is looking west. The building you see above is about a half a mile down the street you see there, which is State St. The right side of the road is Bristol, Virginia and the left side is Bristol, Tennessee.

100_0280.jpg

Many more to follow. I will save them to post on other days.... :D

@Tennesseestorm - I noticed you abscence. Great to know you're still around! Look forward to seeing you return to posting when time allows you too.
Edited by Tennesseestorm

I look forward to seeing more pictures of the Bristol area. I wonder if there are any other "State St's" in America like Bristol has which run exactly down the state line in the center of the downtown area.

Edited by Hankster

Yeah, that would be nice to know. I have wondered the same thing.

Here are a couple more "photos of the day"..... I have enough to last for several days. :D

Fort Shelby Towers - Bristol, TN - taken from just across the state line in Bristol, VA

100_0301.jpg

100_0305.jpg

I look forward to seeing more pictures of the Bristol area. I wonder if there are any other "State St's" in America like Bristol has which run exactly down the state line in the center of the downtown area.
Edited by Tennesseestorm

Here's a couple more shots of my hometown. The first is a cute, distinctive little building located on Market Street downtown. I don't know it's name.

PB190664.jpg

I'm glad to see this beauty escaped the wrecking ball, unfortunately, it looks like its neighbors were not so lucky. I tend to cringe when I see parking lots wedged between blocks of old buildings, it makes you wonder what old gems got flattened to dust. :cry:

I certainly do hope infill replaces the parking lot that currently surrounds this little jewel. I fear that whoever decides to build on this site one day will find this building "in the way" and will ask be have it removed. In this case, I hope that doesn't ever happen.

I certainly do hope infill replaces the parking lot that currently surrounds this little jewel. I fear that whoever decides to build on this site one day will find this building "in the way" and will ask be have it removed. In this case, I hope that doesn't ever happen.

That building was supposed to come down in the late '90s. I don't remember who saved it (he turned it into his residence for a while). All the other buildings were razed for the new building that AG Edwards is in, as well as its parking lots. When the tore down the old buildings a brick wall collapsed and killed one of the workers operating a bulldozer. I remember hearing the crash from the Read House. I used to be a manager there and watched the whole project from the roof, as well as the early stages of the EPB building.

Edited by flith

Yeah, that would be nice to know. I have wondered the same thing.

Here are a couple more "photos of the day"..... I have enough to last for several days. :D

Fort Shelby Towers - Bristol, TN - taken from just across the state line in Bristol, VA

100_0301.jpg

100_0305.jpg

Ardmore Alabama/Tennessee is close but not near the size of Bristol TN/VA

Ardmore Alabama/Tennessee is close but not near the size of Bristol TN/VA

Thanks. I will look that place up.

Here are a couple more "photos of the day"

These are updated photos of the downtown area.... The buildings are taller than they look. This photo is taken at a higher elevation on the north side of downtown. This photo is looking south.

100_0290.jpg

100_0291.jpg

More of other areas to follow tomorrow.

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Here are my next pictures. These are pictures taken of downtown Chattanooga from Cameron Hill. This may well be the best vantage point in the city of the downtown area. This is also where the Blue Cross Blue Shield new Headquarters will be constructed starting later this year. It will be one of the largest office projects ever constructed in Tennessee, costing an estimated $228 Million and covering 800,000 Sq Ft of office space.

PB190762.jpg

PB190763.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Excellent photos of Chattanooga! I have never seen it from that viewpoint. Neat city!

Here are more from the Bristol area.....

Here is Leisure Park Towers. These are apartments for the elderly. Across the street from here is the local NBC TV station. In the overall downtown photo, this is the building you can see on the right hand side.

Not too far from here is where that "supposed" 35+ story skyscraper is supposed to be built, but we will see.....

100_0296.jpg

100_0292.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Thanks for more Bristol pics. Please keep 'em coming. Her's my last Chattanooga pics for a while, because I'm going on vacation for a week. These are a couple of shots from the Enterprise South Mega industrial site which has been in search of a major auto assembly plant. It is considered one of the premier automotive sites in the nation.

PB190764.jpg

PB190765.jpg

Excellent. Looks like a neat place.

Here is my next photo....

This is looking southwest - this is the extreme north end of the Volunteer Parkway in Bristol, TN. This photo was taken on the TN-VA state line. As you go north and cross the state line, the name of the road changes. This same road runs directly into Interstate 81 about a mile from this location. The tree line you see in the distance is where a major hail storm hit in early May of 2002. Most every tree here was stripped of its leaves. The supercell thunderstorm came all the way down from Iowa and all the way down to South Carolina. Middle of Bristol was right in its path. It was only a swath of a mile wide, but it caused tremendous damage in Bristol. Our house was also in the line of the damage. The storm also prompted a tornado warning for our area.... again, that happened in May of 2002. This photo was taken a few days ago (May 2006). Those buildings you see on the corner in the distance are for sale. It will be interesting to see what goes there. Just down the road (south) from here are several new car dealerships (VW, Mitsubishi, Ford, Kia, ETC, as well as a lot of fast food restaurants, a Lowes, Super Wal-Mart and a little further is the Bristol Motor Speedway.

BTW- that building across the street is the Chamber of Commerce. Other government buildings are nearby, but not in that area.

100_0285.jpg

post-9639-1148087254_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Excellent and neat photo of the Knoxville skyscraper!

Well, I have enough photos that I have taken this week to post one per day for the next year! :D

I took about 180 photos today on a 18-22 mile trip to Elizabethton. :D

I will pass on the Bristol photos today and post a few I took in and on the way to Elizabethton. MANY more to follow on the weeks to come...... Those of you who do not know where Elizabethton is, just east of Johnson City and south of Bristol. Probably 20 miles from Bristol and about 10-15 miles from JC.

Here is one of the buildings in Elizabethton. This is on the main street in the newer part of town, but it is probably the 1970s.

100_0428.jpg

Here is one of the old buildings in the historic downtown.....

100_0455.jpg

Close up of the top...

100_0457.jpg

Looking down old main street @ a Saturday night old car cruise-in......

Looking northeast.....

100_0453.jpg

Looking southwest....

100_0485.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0432.jpg

More to follow later.

Edited by Tennesseestorm