East Tennessee Picture of the Day

Thanks. Here are a couple more- not of Bristol, but more of Elizabethton....

I do not think I have posted these.... its getting to where I forget what I have posted, without going back and reviewing.... :D

100_0685.jpg

100_0684.jpg

The mountains of upper East Tennessee are gorgeous. I 've hilked some of the AT in that area. It's a wonderful experience.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I thought that little wall was interesting too. I had never noticed it before, but I am not usually in that part of town.

Here are a couple more of Bristol I took a few weeks ago.... I do not think I have posted these before. You can tell these were taken late on a Sunday evening - around 8PM, because traffic is thin in this area. On Sunday evenings, most of the traffic is in the "newer" urban areas of Bristol.

100_0298.jpg

100_0288.jpg

Thanks for even more Elizabethton pictures. Please keep 'em coming. That's an interesting painting on the building.

Finally, while not a photo of town, here are some recent photos I have taken of severe thunderstorms we have had. The first ones are from storms today and the ones below are from some last week I think. We have had so many, hard to keep up with them.

100_1011.jpg

100_1008.jpg

100_1006.jpg

100_0339.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0330.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

^That cloverleaf is a monster. I wonder how many historic business structures or homes were torn down just to put up that ONE abomination ? :angry:

That cloverleaf should be history in the next 5 years. TDOT has finally approved a plan to widen US27/I-124 from I-24 to the already completed section at the Olgati Bridge. The current section will be replaced with a straighter 6 lane freeway, with two lane frontage road on each side. The frontage road will be for local traffic and have traffic lights at 4th, 6th, MLK, and I think Main.

The states old proposal back in 1999 had an extensive collecter feeder system and an eight lane expressway. Chattanooga told the state no, because it was going to be approx 4ft from the 3rd story windows at Blue Cross Blue shield, and St. Barnabus Apts.

Here's my next picture of the day. Standing next to each other in Chattanooga are two very fine examples of early 20th century highrise architecture. On the left is the 12 story James Building built in 1907 and on the right is the 13 story McClellan Building built in 1924.

PB190673.jpg

Hey Hankster! Thanks for posting these pics of Chattanooga. I'm just now going through these pages for the first time and saw this photo of the James Building. I lived on Chattanooga for five years until I recently moved back to Nashville at the end of April. These pictures bring back memories! My wife was a bank teller at the AmSouth on that corner (8th and Broad) in the Pioneer building (until they closed that branch, then they moved her out to the Gunbarrel branch...sorry I'm getting off subject) Anyways, I used to go eat lunch with her every Friday at the best little Italian place called Tomato Tango. It sits right on the corner where you took this picture. Have you ever eaten there? If not you gotta go check it out, it's one of Chattanooga's best kept secrets IMO!

Hey Hankster! Thanks for posting these pics of Chattanooga. I'm just now going through these pages for the first time and saw this photo of the James Building. I lived on Chattanooga for five years until I recently moved back to Nashville at the end of April. These pictures bring back memories! My wife was a bank teller at the AmSouth on that corner (8th and Broad) in the Pioneer building (until they closed that branch, then they moved her out to the Gunbarrel branch...sorry I'm getting off subject) Anyways, I used to go eat lunch with her every Friday at the best little Italian place called Tomato Tango. It sits right on the corner where you took this picture. Have you ever eaten there? If not you gotta go check it out, it's one of Chattanooga's best kept secrets IMO!

I have not, but I know it's still there. Looks like a really cool place. I'll definitely give it a try. Welcome to the East Tennessee forum. There's quite a lot happening in Chattanooga these days, and I'm sure you will find it all quite interesting.

Here's a couple more pictures I have to share from downtown Chattanooga. The second is another shot of the Dome Building (I just love taking pictures of that one!).

PB190670.jpg

That's the building I'm talking about - It's really a cool place. Tomato Tango is on the corner - you can almost read the sign above the door with a tomato in the middle (looks more like a red dot from this angle).

That's the building I'm talking about - It's really a cool place. Tomato Tango is on the corner - you can almost read the sign above the door with a tomato in the middle (looks more like a red dot from this angle).

There it is right at the street corner! I'll give a critique of my meal there.

Here's a picture of the Electric Power Board headquarters building under construction. It is 8 stories and includes a 505 car parking structure to the rear. The project is slated to be finished in June, 2006.

PB190649.jpg

I remember last year a commercial for some law office (I think it was Dale Buchanan) that was on TV in Chattanooga about worker's injury compensation. This particular attorney was standing with the new EPB building behind him, showing construction workers working on it. One of the lines in his commercial said something like "Chattanooga construction workers working hundreds of feet off the ground can be extremely dangerous." Hey, I'm proud of Chattanooga and its beautiful downtown, but the EPB building is nowhere near "hundreds of feet off the ground!" My wife and I got a good laugh every time that one came on TV. :rofl:

LOL. Thanks. Yeah, we get alot of storms here- speaking of which- here is my "photo of the day", which was taken in my driveway. After yesterdays high of 91* at 1:00, severe storms blew up over the Tri-Cities around 2pm. That one was mostly lightning, but it was the squall line that moved down out of Kentucky and SW Virginia that really packed a punch. Here is what greeted me this morning when I went to work. I took this photo after I got home.

100_1366.jpg

100_1371.jpg

On a more pleasant note (meaning the storms did not destroy these blooms), here are a couple of my southern magnolia in bloom that I took a few hours ago......

100_1393.jpg

100_1392.jpg

Great thunderstorm pictures. No wonder you call yourself "Tennessee Storm"!

Here are some I took in Elizabethton (Saturday evening). As you can see, we are typically in Elizabethton on Saturday evenings. I usually take grandpa to the cruise in his 55' Cadillac and my father takes his old car as well. This particular past Saturday evening, they had the covered bridge festival, which actually went on all weekend. Alot of venders were set up downtown and they had the kids park set up next to the river.

It just so happened that severe storms were in the area on this evening as well! :D

I was all set on the way back to get some good photos on the way home, as we came back home on another route through Bristol. However, after leaving Elizabethton, my camera went on the fritz and I did not get to take anymore. My camera is fine now, I think it was something with the memory card.... Anyway, here are Saturday evenings (6-10-06) photos from Elizabethton, TN......

100_1296.jpg

100_1305.jpg

100_1294.jpg

100_1295.jpg

Here's a couple more Chattanooga shots:

A view of the Incline Railway which takes people from the base to the top of Lookout Mountain. It's steeper than it looks in this picture.

P3250917.jpg

Here's a shot of the takeoff point for hang gliders off Lookout Mountain. The verical drop here is 1,400 Ft.

P3250919.jpg

Those Chattanooga overlook photos are terrific! Is the elevation of Lookout Mountain 1,400 ft. on the summit? If so, they are still about 200 ft. lower in elevation than we are here at my house, as we are at 1,596 feet. However, the western part of the metro area- such as Kingsport and Rogersville, have elevations around 1,000-1,200 ft.

Thanks. Hopefully you will get some rains there, but it does not look like it this week, as most of the eastern USA will be in a dry spell. We do not have rain in the forecast for at least 7 days, except for a slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms. We are getting a little dry now. Yeah, that was my tree that toppled over. We trimmed alot of it off to remove the weight and hoisted it back up from another tree. It will probably perish, but thought we could at least try to save it. It is just a black willow tree, that many people dislike, but I have always liked it. I planted this tree when it was nothing more than a twig about 10 years ago.

Updated after we trimmed and hoisted......

3754d558.jpg

Great shots TS! You need to send some of that rain down here to Chattanooga. We're getting extremley dry down here. That's too bad about that tree falling down. Was that your tree that came down?
Edited by Tennesseestorm

Those Chattanooga overlook photos are terrific! Is the elevation of Lookout Mountain 1,400 ft. on the summit? If so, they are still about 200 ft. lower in elevation than we are here at my house, as we are at 1,596 feet. However, the western part of the metro area- such as Kingsport and Rogersville, have elevations around 1,000-1,200 ft.

Lookout Mountain at its highest point, is about 2,400'. Of course it is part of the Cumberland Plateau which forms a broad, 2000' high boundary between Middle and East Tennessee.

The Tennessee river is about 600' above sea level and cuts through the plateau just west of Chattanooga making one of the most magnificent canyons in America. You have a broad river such as the Tennessee meandering between canyon walls up to 1400' higher.

Its not very accessible although there is an overlook on the road up to signal mountain. The best way to see it, I'm told, is by boat.

Lookout Mountain at its highest point, is about 2,400'. Of course it is part of the Cumberland Plateau which forms a broad, 2000' high boundary between Middle and East Tennessee.

The Tennessee river is about 600' above sea level and cuts through the plateau just west of Chattanooga making one of the most magnificent canyons in America. You have a broad river such as the Tennessee meandering between canyon walls up to 1400' higher.

Its not very accessible although there is an overlook on the road up to signal mountain. The best way to see it, I'm told, is by boat.

You can drive or boat through it. River Canyon Rd/ Mullens Cove Rd. connect to Suck Creek Road and go through the entire canyon, into Marion County

Edited by flith

Well put. My earlier comment was that the verticle drop was 1400 Ft at the hang glider takeoff point to the valley directly below. The elevation of the Tennessee River is about 600 Ft in Chattanooga, and they are landing away from the river at a place higher than 600 Ft. Therefore, the elevation of the hang gliding takeoff point where the picture was taken is well in excess of 2,000 Ft.

Wow.... sounds like a neat place. I remember seeing the mountain from the freeway, but that was in June of 1994, so I do not remember it well. Ironically, I think it was 12 years ago this week! We went to the Chattanooga aquarium, but we drove on down across the state lines, down into Alabama. I had never neen in Alabama and we went on across the state line, so I could say I had been there. :D

I am on vacation next week and we have been debating on where to go (if anywhere). Options were to go to Raleigh (to visit family) and on down to Wilmington for a beach vacation, OR to Anderson, SC to visit family, OR to Jacksonville, FL to visit family, but with the recent tropical storm and flooding in the southeast coasts, we may pass this time. Perhaps instead of a 6 hour drive to Wilmington, perhaps we should put a 3 hour drive to Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga on the list instead? :D

Well put. My earlier comment was that the verticle drop was 1400 Ft at the hang glider takeoff point to the valley directly below. The elevation of the Tennessee River is about 600 Ft in Chattanooga, and they are landing away from the river at a place higher than 600 Ft. Therefore, the elevation of the hang gliding takeoff point where the picture was taken is well in excess of 2,000 Ft.

Wow.... sounds like a neat place. I remember seeing the mountain from the freeway, but that was in June of 1994, so I do not remember it well. Ironically, I think it was 12 years ago this week! We went to the Chattanooga aquarium, but we drove on down across the state lines, down into Alabama. I had never neen in Alabama and we went on across the state line, so I could say I had been there. :D

I am on vacation next week and we have been debating on where to go (if anywhere). Options were to go to Raleigh (to visit family) and on down to Wilmington for a beach vacation, OR to Anderson, SC to visit family, OR to Jacksonville, FL to visit family, but with the recent tropical storm and flooding in the southeast coasts, we may pass this time. Perhaps instead of a 6 hour drive to Wilmington, perhaps we should put a 3 hour drive to Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga on the list instead? :D

Lookout Mountain has several attractions: Lookout Point Park, Rock City, Ruby Falls, and the The Incline railway. About 20 miles south on top of Lookout Mt is Cloudland Canyon which has some nice trails, great views and waterfalls. Also, if you come here, take a tour of the Chattanooga downtown waterfront including the Tennessee Aquarium and the Hunter Museum.

About 1 hour East of Chattanooga is the Ocoee Gorge (take U.S. 64 east from Cleveland). It the number one whitewater rafting and kayaking area in Tennessee, and played host to the whitewater kayaking event in the 1996 Summer Olympic games. It's a lot of you if you're into that.

Another area I love which is slightly over 1 hour drivefrom Chattanooga is Fall Creek Falls State Park. It's a must see. I will post a thread on Fall Creek Falls this weekend. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Edited by Hankster

I drove through the Ocoee River Gorge on my way to work this morning in Cleveland no more than an hour ago. The views were magnificent.

The Chilhowee Mountain area is reopening today! The campground up on the mountain behind the Ocoee Ranger Station was closed after a bear attack killed a child back a couple of months ago. It was the first recorded fatal bear attack in Polk County. After the attack the Forest Service closed the whole area and set bear traps to try and catch the big boy responsible. Well they caught 2 bears. After forensic tests were completed they announced on Wednesday that bear #2 was indeed the guilty party therefore they are reopening the mountain to guests starting today.

If you have ever seen that high vista picture of the lake surrounded by mountains that

Alright... I am back from the Gulf Coast and ready to get out and take a few pictures of Cleveland. I will get some updates on the building going on around town... Maybe a few Lee University shots, A couple of the new greenway that runs right through the business district of Keith St... A shot or two of the dirt that will be things soon including a huge shopping complex, a row of car dealerships, some fancy restaurants and anything else I can come up with. Oh yeah I will try and get some shots of the houses along Ocoee St north of Downtown around and above Lee University. There have been some nice renovations done recently to a few of the homes in the area.

Below is a picture of the 1st Tennessee Bank building across from Cleveland High School on Raider Dr. The building was built in the late 80's by Cleveland Bank and Trust which merged with 1st Tennessee later.

First_Tennessee_Building.jpg

This is a shot of Cafe Roma, a very expensive Italian eatery located in downtown at the corner of Ocoee and 2nd St NE a good dinner can easily set you back $30+ per person.

cafe_roma.jpg

I like this picture. This is a shot from the back side of the Church of God Headquarters which is located at the corner of Keith and 25Th (Hwy 11 and State Route 60). The building which is well over 30 years old was recently renovated to match 2 new buildings added to the campus in 2003-2004. You can also see the 6 story landmark building just to the right. The Cleveland/Bradley Greenway follows Mouse Creek and Keith St which runs in front of both of the above mentioned buildings.

Church_of_God_and_Landmark_building.jpg