East Tennessee Picture of the Day

The historic Craigmiles Opera House hosted John Philip Sousa and his band as they performed on January 30th, 1906.

Here is an little bit about John Philip Sousa:

To most Americans the name of John Philip Sousa (1854-1932) is synonymous with the Fourth of July. People throughout the world have been inspired by the rousing strains of the works of the "March King" and by performances of Sousa and His Band. In the 1890s his "Washington Post" march became the standard music to accompany the two-step, the dance craze that spread throughout Europe and the United States. More than a century later, in the 2000s, Sousa

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's today's installment from Chattanooga. This is a shot of the Hunter Museum taken last Fall. Note the $20 Million modern addition to the Museum next to the Classical Old Souther Mansion style of the original museum. There is a '70s style part of the museum too (not seen in this picture). The museum addition and artwork were all part of the $120 Million 21 Century Waterfront Project completed in 2005.

PB190696.jpg

I love this thread, Hankster. How about some more pictures of this museum? Any pictures of the interior? The Pickle Barrel? Sounds tasty. Those flat-iron style buildings are really cool. Nashville has a couple of intersections that would be perfect for such structures as you well know, but we unfortunately have car dealerships and such instead.

Edited by Nashvillain

I love this thread, Hankster. How about some more pictures of this museum? Any pictures of the interior? The Pickle Barrel? Sounds tasty. Those flat-iron style buildings are really cool. Nashville has a couple of intersections that would be perfect for such structures as you well know, but we unfortunately have car dealerships and such instead.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from inside the museum. I should try to get some. The intersection of Broadway and West End in Nashville just begs for a flatiron type building. I'd love to see about a 20 to 30 story monster right there, and the West End Summit rising to it's side. Wouldn't that be cool?

Jiminy, take the cars out of the picture and that street scene looks like 1975. :blink:

Close. The Republic Center, according to Emporis was built in 1977. The 16 story Chestnut Tower behind Republic Center was probably built about the same time. Is that bad? There's plenty of streets in Nashville with a preponderence of 70's structures on them.

Here's my picture for today. It's a downtown view taken from the steps of the Chattanooga City Hall. In the foreground is the 20 story Sun Trust Bank building.

PB190683.jpg

Close. The Republic Center, according to Emporis was built in 1977. The 16 story Chestnut Tower behind Republic Center was probably built about the same time. Is that bad? There's plenty of streets in Nashville with a preponderence of 70's structures on them.

Here's my picture for today. It's a downtown view taken from the steps of the Chattanooga City Hall. In the foreground is the 20 story Sun Trust Bank building.

No, I was just commenting that the bulk of the scene, right down to the weird Mayan-looking parking garage (which screams mid '70s to me) looks like it could be indistinguishable from a pic taken 30 years ago in the exact same spot (and I tend to consider that time to be the absolute nadir in urban architecture). I tend to be hard-pressed to think of any particular major street scene in downtown Nashville that would look almost unchanged for 30 years (in the case of that picture, meaning virtually all of the buildings being constructed in that time period -- obviously you could find some streets with far older architecture).

Today's pic is interesting to me, since many years ago when I stayed in downtown Chattanooga, I took a photo in almost your exact same spot (and the view 12 years hence is virtually unchanged). Chattanooga's SunTrust building is breathtakingly hideous in a way Nashville's Parkway Towers can only dream about (imagine taking the lower parking floors of "Parkway" and extending it all the way up to the top floor, and that is a similar comparison), and another one of those '70s monstrosities (I'd confirm the year, but at the moment, Emporis is down).

Chattanooga's SunTrust building is breathtakingly hideous in a way Nashville's Parkway Towers can only dream about ...

What's really sad about the Suntrust tower in that (I think I heard) it was built in the 1920s with a lot of classical ornamentation. Then it underwent its really ugly recladding in the 1960s to "update" it. Is that correct, Hankster?

What's really sad about the Suntrust tower in that (I think I heard) it was built in the 1920s with a lot of classical ornamentation. Then it underwent its really ugly recladding in the 1960s to "update" it. Is that correct, Hankster?

Actually that one is the First Tennessee Bank Bldg. It was originally built in 1911 and reclad in 1966. Here's a link to Emporis so you can see how it turned out...They turned a beautiful an old art deco treasure into a pretty standard 60's box.

First Tennessee Bank Bdlg

Edited by Hankster

Actually that one is the First Tennessee Bank Bldg. It was origianny built in 1911 and reclad in 1966. Here's a link to Emporis so you can see how it turned out...They turned a beautiful an old art deco treasure into a pretty standard 60's box.

Such a shame. I bet there were more than a few idiots back in 1966 who thought the re-do was a great idea too.

Thanks for the correction.

Such a shame. I bet there were more than a few idiots back in 1966 who thought the re-do was a great idea too.

Thanks for the correction.

As you can see in Hankster's above photo, the newer SunTrust on the left with First Tennessee on the right (by the tree). Personally, I hope SunTrust gets demolished and replaced with something far nicer. The question remains for First TN, if it is even possible to remove the "modern" panels and restore its original beaux-arts fa

Actually that one is the First Tennessee Bank Bldg. It was originally built in 1911 and reclad in 1966. Here's a link to Emporis so you can see how it turned out...They turned a beautiful an old art deco treasure into a pretty standard 60's box.

And this is the original building. The one on the far right.

chattanoogaskyline1955.jpg

^ Nope I don't know the name. Its an great old building though.

The Hunter Museum is very unique, sort of reminds me of the Clinton Presidential Museum to some degree for some reason.

I guess it does from that angle. But from the river, it's sort of reminiscent of Frank Gehry's work. I like it better than what I've seen of Gehry's.

As always , I am enjoying the pics from my old stomping grounds. Keep em coming.

I plan to keep 'em coming. So here's my picture for today. This is the pedestrian bridge that was built in 2005 that allow people to travel between the Tennessee Aquarium and the Hunter Museum. At night the entire walking surface illuminates. Very cool!

PB190700.jpg

Here's a view from the waterfront taken from the pedestrian bridge that crosses the Tennessee River. In the background in Cameron Hill. The apartments on the top are now in the process of being demolished to make way for construction of the new $227 Million 800,000 Sq Ft Blue Cross Blue Shield headquarters complex. Construction is slated to start later this year.

PB190734.jpg

Edited by Hankster