East Tennessee Picture of the Day

Thanks. I will get some of those areas next time I am that way. Actually, I have to go to Kingsport Friday evening to take grandpa to a old cruise-in/car show. Not sure exactly where it is, I think it is on the west side of the city, so I should be able to get a few, but probably not any of the downtown area at that time. Perhaps next trip out.

Great shots of Elizabethton, Storm! I hope one of these days, you can get some shots of Johnson City and Kingsport, too!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to seeing your Kingsport pictures!

Here's some more from Chattanooga. I deceided to show shome shots of the Krystal Square Off held last fall in Chattanooga. It's basically the World's Hamburger Eating Championships. All the top professional eaters partipated and were gunning to break the world record of 69 hamburgers in only 8 minutes!

This first shot shows them as thery were just getting started. The sign in the background signified that the contestant in front had eaten 8 hamburgers.

PB190749.jpg

There was a clock set at 8:00 minutes when they started that counted down to zero. It now reads 5:52 so 2 minutes and 8 seconds have elapsed. Joey Chestnut (center) is leading with 20 burgers at this time. The world champion and world record holder, Takeru Kobayashi, is directly to the right.

PB190751.jpg

Things are getting really serious now. Chestnut has eaten 35 to Kobayashi's 32 in only 3 minutes and 29 seconds. There is a serious threat to the world champion! Amazing!

PB190752.jpg

I'll post the winner and the number he ate tomorrow.

Edited by Hankster

Very interesting contest! I bet there were some ill folks there after eating all of those sandwiches! :D

I can eat a few before I get ill, what- with that grease and all.

Sadly, we did not get to make it to Kingsport Friday evening. Severe thunderstorms were about the area and we did not think anyone would be at the cruise down there. We saw my grandfathers brother-in-law this evening in Elizabethton and he said that there were actually a lot of old cars down there. Now we wish we had of went.

Anyway, perhaps soon I will get some from that area. I did however get 202 more photos in Elizabethton this evening that I will be posting here this week and throughout the summer.

In the mean time, here are a few more of my Bristol photos.....

100_0282.jpg

100_0294.jpg

100_0283.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

I really like the first street shot (State Street?) with the trees. I know there's talk of having them replaced, but the street is really beautiful right now, IMO.

The one problem I tend to have with all those trees is that you can't see the architecture of the buildings, which is often frustrating when I visit downtowns trying to take photos. I'd prefer shorter shrubs with an occasional tree and lots of flowers instead to liven up a downtown street rather than a fully grown-out tree every 10-15 feet.

Here's my last two pics of the Krystal Square off. In the end Joey slowed down a bit and finished with 62. Takeru Kobayashi had the stamina and like the champion he is, won with total of 67 and got the $10,000 first prize. No new world record this time. Notice all the empty hamburger cartons on the floor in the first picture. All this in only eight minutes!

PB190754.jpg

PB190759.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Interesting. He does not even look like he could eat 67 burgers. :D

Yeah- back to your other reply- yes, those are the trees in question. I did not realize it was that long ago, but it was stated that these were planted in 1981.

Last I heard they were going to let them be and only replace them as they perish. I do not know- everyone seems to be at a crossroads about the trees.

Here are my photos of the day..... I know I should only post one perday, but its hard to decide which to post..... :D

Not from Bristol this time, but more from Elizabethton- taken on the evening of 5-27-06...... (some of these were taken on the evening of 5-20-06)

100_0676.jpg

100_0682.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0610.jpg

100_0620.jpg

100_0603.jpg

100_0605.jpg

100_0654.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Interesting. He does not even look like he could eat 67 burgers. :D

He only weighs about 135 pounds! More amazing than that is Sonya (The Black Widow) Thomas. She the little contestant to the right of Kobayashi. She's only 5'0" tall and weighs a mere 98 pounds. She ate 55 burgers and finished in 3rd place! She out ate the huge contestant , about 400 pounds, to the right her.

Oh my! Sounds like she has a healthy appetite! :)

Amazing that she "out ate" the 400 lb. contestant.

He only weighs about 135 pounds! More amazing than that is Sonya (The Black Widow) Thomas. She the little contestant to the right of Kobayashi. She's only 5'0" tall and weighs a mere 98 pounds. She ate 55 burgers and finished in 3rd place! She out ate the huge contestant , about 400 pounds, to the right her.

Super Chattanooga photos! The good ole' aquarium. We went there in summer of 1994..... I am sure it has changed alot since then. Maybe we will go back soon.

Here's some more from Chattanooga. I visited the Chattanooga a couple of week ago. It was my first visit since the expansion last year.

Very cool photo and thanks for posting. I would guess your estimate for the date is in the ballpark. I do remember (I dating myself here) that the I-24 stretch through downtown Chattanooga was about the first stretch of interstate highway opened for traffic in the entire state of Tennessee. I believe it was opened in about 1963 or 1964. I know that US 27 was done at least several years later than that.

Edited by Hankster

^That cloverleaf is a monster. I wonder how many historic business structures or homes were torn down just to put up that ONE abomination ? :angry:

I love how people always gripe about that, but believe it or not, people need to get on and off the freeway. Personally, the interchange is more valuable to me than some crappy old 2 story buildings. Besides, its not really that big when you drive it, curves are actually too tight if you ask me.

I love how people always gripe about that, but believe it or not, people need to get on and off the freeway. Personally, the interchange is more valuable to me than some crappy old 2 story buildings. Besides, its not really that big when you drive it, curves are actually too tight if you ask me.

I'm old enough to remember when there were NO interstate highway at all anywhere in Tennessee. Beleive me, when that thing was constructed, it was a thing of beauty. Try to imagine America with absolutely no interstate or any limited access highways at all. Out quality of life would be significantly lower. Everthing we buy would cost much, much more due to exorbitant transportation costs, and we would not have the personal freedom to easily travel long distances by car as we do now.