East Tennessee Picture of the Day

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd time poster....

Beautiful weather in downtown Chattanooga on Saturday. Took a few photos at the Hunter Museum of Art.

probably one of the most photographed sites in Chattanooga - Walnut Street Bridge

CIMG0275resize640x480.jpg

"Pregnant Whale" in front of the Hunter Museum of Art

CIMG0287resize640x480.jpg

Nice shot of the Walnut Street Bridge... There are some beautiful shades of blue in that picture. The Museum is a neat deal with the classic old brick and the modern metallic finishes. Crazy contrasts indeed.

By the way, Welcome to The Planet. It's always good to see more East Tennessee participation!

Those are grand photos of Chattanooga.... especially one of the bridge.

Here are some I took on Thursday morning on our way to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN. Being the high tourist attraction that it is, I am sure that many here have been there before and on the road photos posted below, but since I have not posted any in awhile, I thought I would go ahead and post. I actually have many more, but did not want to flood out the board. :D

These first ones are heading southbound on I-81 and then on I-40 westbound.

100_1649.jpg

100_1650.jpg

These were taken in Sevierville.....

100_1668.jpg

100_1660.jpg

This was taken in the park.... I had never been before, despite only being 101 miles away. I have been to Pigeon Forge before, but never in the park. I thought it was really neat. Some other relatives that go all the time went with us, so they took us to the best spots. Still not enough time to see the entire park. Would take at least 3 days to do that. It was so hot here this day. The high was 98* here that day. It was hot at my house to according to my father. It was 96* at my house that day. I am sure that most east Tennesseans know how hot it was that day. :)

100_1690.jpg

100_1702.jpg

100_1709.jpg

100_1739.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Nice shot of the Walnut Street Bridge... There are some beautiful shades of blue in that picture. The Museum is a neat deal with the classic old brick and the modern metallic finishes. Crazy contrasts indeed.

By the way, Welcome to The Planet. It's always good to see more East Tennessee participation!

Thanks for the Welcome! Bucks Pocket born huh? Is that the Grove Oak Bucks Pocket?

Thanks for the Welcome! Bucks Pocket born huh? Is that the Grove Oak Bucks Pocket?

The Bucks Pocket I'm referring to is in Bradley County TN. The actual location of Bucks Pocket is in the SE corner of the County. The borders are Spring Place Rd (Hwy 74) to the west, The Polk County line (faint green line) to the east, Ladd Springs Rd (Hwy 313) to the north and the Georgia line (white line) to the south. Valley View Elementary school is the main school for the Bucks Pocket area.

Bucks_Pocket.jpg

I remember seeing that old factory (?) building passing by on I-40. Any plans for conversion ? It would be a shame to lose such a huge magnificent structure.

You're absolutely right. I hope it's not too late to do that. That structure has fantastic possibilities and could probably be converted into more than 100 condos or lofts! Somebody please do this!

Oh, in that case, I have several more that I can post of the park. I will resize them and get them posted here soon. I had never been in Dollywood either until this last trip. We are planning on going again next Tuesday. Yeah, when we go back to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, I will get photos of those areas.

We went on a tour of downtown Bristol today. A local historian who we know well held the tour. I took a lot of different photos (some of the same buildings, but at a different viewpoint) that I will soon resize and post here.

Thanks for the Sevierville & Pigeon Forge shots! I've never been to Dollywood before and I appreciate getting a taste of the park. If you ever go back, please take some of Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg if you get that far.

Oh, in that case, I have several more that I can post of the park. I will resize them and get them posted here soon. I had never been in Dollywood either until this last trip. We are planning on going again next Tuesday. Yeah, when we go back to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, I will get photos of those areas.

We went on a tour of downtown Bristol today. A local historian who we know well held the tour. I took a lot of different photos (some of the same buildings, but at a different viewpoint) that I will soon resize and post here.

Great news! I look forward to seeing your pics. Please keep 'em coming!

Ok.... here are several. Again, these were taken on the morming of the 4th in downtown Bristol, Tennessee-Virginia.

I have many more, but did not want to overload the system. :D

More to follow in the next topic.......

As you can see, some of the buildings are undergoing renovations.

I will post more Dollywood photos later.

Most of these photos were taken after the actual tour, as it was too difficult taking photos with all of the people around. I would estimate that about 80 people showed up for the guided tour.

Most businesses were closed, due to the holiday, but that made it less crowded.

dc6e69bb.jpg

dea5f431.jpg

ed2e5d9a.jpg

6bc2d1cd.jpg

ee15f22e.jpg

1fa1a4e5.jpg

50ae6567.jpg

41f1dafd.jpg

2a70c618.jpg

86fae86d.jpg

f397ef09.jpg

2d4a2fec.jpg

af73e90f.jpg

f9ccb80e.jpg

d42e1316.jpg

3b92eb4e.jpg

945e50d2.jpg

6924c51b.jpg

7c9def74.jpg

Great news! I look forward to seeing your pics. Please keep 'em coming!
Edited by Tennesseestorm

Here are more.....

100_2009.jpg

100_2023.jpg

The new library

100_2016.jpg

Another of the downtown skyline

100_2007.jpg

100_2004.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2000.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1986.jpg

100_1960.jpg

100_1959.jpg

100_1948.jpg

100_1937.jpg

dc6e69bb.jpg

One of the old original Bristol post offices.....

50e8b3c9.jpg

Photo of a old houses in urban Bristol, not too far from downtown....

100_2026.jpg

c2103cca.jpg

53f58fa0.jpg

6d26ba34.jpg

Lastly, here are some on the drive back toward my house. BTW... I only live about 8 miles southeast of downtown.....

OK.... heading out of the city limits and heading toward my house.....

These are some of the last of the houses in the extreme southeastern city limits, but not nearly all of the neighborhoods.... this is just heading out of the city limits and into more rural areas, but the city limits extends about 2 miles from this photo. In fact, a Burger King will soon go in down the road from here.

6ba5c28c.jpg

The intersection of Highway 394 (Bristol Beltway) and Highway 421. To the left of this photo (which is just beyond the above photo), a new Burger King will be built, which will be the first one of this stretch of highway in this area....

b7129331.jpg

About a mile down the road from there going down highway 421... looking southeastward....

75695ff6.jpg

The next road on the left is the road we live on....

452058f2.jpg

Finally in my lawn.... looking southwest

11d20548.jpg

Now looking west / southwest......

b6d4aed4.jpg

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Storm,

Would this happen to be the intersection of Pennsylvania with State Line? If so, it looks good. One of my nicer engineering projects. We saved the historic ice cream shop sign to the East.

7c9def74.jpg

I need to get up there and take a look at it.

Edited by PHofKS

Yep, thats the one! That intersection is much better now. Interesting that you had a hand in that project. I did not know you did that type of work.

It only was completed about a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, that ice cream sign is gone. Something happened and it was severely damaged. :( I never got the whole story. It had been there since 1969. My grandparents just live up the street from here on Georgia Avenue and I always used to go in here as a kid and get ice creams. I remember the sign well. When I was really little, a little kid used to be on the ladder to the ice cream, but he broke off years ago and only the ice cream remained. Anyway, the parts of the ice cream sign that did not get damaged was supposedly kept by the store owner and he was going to repair, but I later seen part of the sign setting in an antique store window, located downtown. He must have sold it or something. Sadly, we never had any photos of the sign. Had I known it would have been damaged and removed, I would have made an extra effort to get some, but I never thought it would be removed. I will soon try to get a photo of that street corner, so you can see what the entire intersection looks like.

For those who do not know what we are talking about, there is an ice cream shop (Kay's Ice Cream) (also sells food) on the right hand corner of this photo. On the corner was a huge plastic or ceramic ice cream figure up in the air that lit up at night. It had a little kid standing on a ladder trying to get to the ice cream obviously. He fell off years ago though. The "Kays Ice Cream" sign was below that also lit up. Anyway, it is now gone, because something went wrong and I was told the sign was damaged.

Here is another photo of that intersection (that shows the new traffic lights and road signs)....

100_1926.jpg

Storm,

Would this happen to be the intersection of Pennsylvania with State Line? If so, it looks good. One of my nicer engineering projects. We saved the historic ice cream shop sign to the East.

7c9def74.jpg

I need to get up there and take a look at it.

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Well, that's a shame about the sign. We took great pains to save it.

I enjoy managing projects like this. It not only eliminates traffic bottlenecks, it addresses pedestrian needs also. I wish I could do more projects that addressed pedestrian and streetscape issues.

I get to travel around the State, as a result of what I do. I'm off to Jackson and Memphis next week and back to the tri-cities next month.