East Tennessee Picture of the Day

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With that being said (what I said above) here are photos of the day from me for east TN (since I have not posted in awhile)- from my front lawn... here are some before / after photos during that frigid weekend.... notice the severe damage to the tree foliage....

BEFORE - these were around April 5th (and earlier)......

100_4609.jpg

100_4599.jpg

100_4634.jpg

100_4629.jpg

100_4602.jpg

100_4560.jpg

AFTER - these were April 8th and as late as April 11th..... Severe damage.... <_<

100_4741.jpg

100_4730.jpg

100_4702.jpg

100_4675.jpg

100_4659.jpg

Even my Camellia looks to be perishing! The leaves are darkening! :angry:

It's from top of the parking garage over the movie theaters. I tried to take a panoramic shot, but found out later the lens cover hadn't open all the way. Nothing turned out worth using.

I'll try again some other time.

Edited by flith

That pic wasn't taken from the top of the Bijou. (Theater with parking garage on top). The before mentioned parking garage is on the right edge of the the photo. The picture was taken from the vicinity of Cherry Street between 1st and 2nd Streets, probably at the top of the new people mover.

You may be correct. I did take a number of pictures from the garage over the movieplex, but lost those. I probably did take this on from the location you mentioned. Sorry for the confusion.

I do recommend going to the top of the garage if you want to take some photos, however. Great view.

With that being said (what I said above) here are photos of the day from me for east TN (since I have not posted in awhile)- from my front lawn... here are some before / after photos during that frigid weekend.... notice the severe damage to the tree foliage....

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. Well, what was strange, is that there was not much frost... at least not around here. Monday morning (on the 9th) we did have a heavy frost here. I had to go up into southwestern Virginia that day, near the Kentucky state line and on my way back, around 10:30AM, they still had a heavy frost on the cars (where was sun was not shining). I even saw some snow on the shady mountain tops up there.

What got us was the extreme and record cold on Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings. Sunday night, we tied the all-time record low for April @ the airport, which was 21

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still around here these days? :unsure:

Anyway, to update on my previous post- all of our trees have recovered... the only ones lagging are the ones that were damaged by the freeze in early April.... even they are recovering though..

On a side note.... the old Cheers building is gone... they demolished it last week.

I am going to start posting "photos of the day" soon. Hopefully everyone else can as well.

Anyone still around here these days? :unsure:

Anyway, to update on my previous post- all of our trees have recovered... the only ones lagging are the ones that were damaged by the freeze in early April.... even they are recovering though..

On a side note.... the old Cheers building is gone... they demolished it last week.

I am going to start posting "photos of the day" soon. Hopefully everyone else can as well.

Thanks. Yeah, some here are still leafing (or should I say, "releafing") out, as the ones leafing out were the ones that had leaves in late March and perished in the bitter cold freeze in early April. I was beginning to wonder if they would recover, but they are well on their way, despite the very dry conditions. Rain forecasted Wed., so I hope we get it. For the most part, 99% are fully leafed out and lush. My Baldcypress is still suffering however, as I think it will be lacking about 40% of its foliage this year. <_<

I am going to post updated photos tomorrow. My Southern Live Oaks are thriving and full of new leaves thankfully.

I did not realize that the freeze was that bad down there, but I think it was bad in spots... I know some people in N GA and N AL that had severe damage as well.

Glad to hear your trees have mostly recovered. The tree down here were hit really bad, too. The are many that are still leafing out. I've never ever seen the process of leafing out go on so late into the season before. Some of the trees down here may not be fully "leafed out" until June.

Glad to hear you plan to post some pics soon. I'll try to get some up as well.

• 1 month later...