Westside development

distortedlogic

I was reading the Gmall thread, and thinking about all of the talk about it closing, and Laurens rd with all the empty big boxes. There were also some posts about how two Sports Authorities are so close together, much like the Petsmarts. I would like to hear thoughts on why none of these "eastside developments" have not at lest been planned for the westside. Excuding cherrydale, there is almost no decent shopping on the westside, yet it draws from Berea, Welcome, TR, Parker, Powdersville, Easley, and even Pickens. These areas may not be quite as affluent as the Eastside, but I think the success at cherrydale shows the westside can easily handle more options. I would love to see stores like Best Buy, Sam's, Khols, Target, Hobby Lobby and others. I would think that the intersection of 25/123 would be a developers dream for something like this, there is plenty of room there. Hmmm, maybe they could even get rid of a couple of these junk yards.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Cherrydale is the exception to the rule that the westside of Greenville is the roughest area. Think about driving from Easley to Greenville on route 123. You go through some old, run down and generally unsafe areas. It is going to take a long time if areas like this recover (if ever). Same goes for the area around the post office on West Washington Street (especially west of there). It is simply not a good area, and that general trend continues throughout most of western Greenville until you get out to Cherrydale, Furman, and Paris Mountain. I think that any new, quality retail development on that side of the city will be around Cherrydale. Doesn't it just about have to be?

I consider Cherrydale and Furman University to be in the "North Greenville" area - not to be confused with Tigerville and Travelers Rest-Slater-Marietta.

Powdersville is a major exception to the western cities DL mentioned above. There is plenty of wealth in that community to support a Cherrydale or Greenridge-style shopping center. The problem is that it has not been incorporated and has been growing eratically out of control. No guidelines or restrictions have led to numerous random office parks and strip malls everywhere. Anderson County has not helped direct the proper development of its second largest region.

I agree with Skyliner, Cherrydale is the Northside. On the Westside, White Horse Road already has a good deal of retail and I could see it definitely being ripe for a Target, Starbucks, Kohl's, Petsmart, etc, etc. I think it's just a matter of time. Powdersville has really been growing and I think with the addition of developments like Acadia, this area will boom. There are neigborhoods in Powdersville with 500K plus homes and retailers are recognizing this (Outback opening was a good sign). With plentiful land along 85 and 153, this area will be home to a Cherrydale of Greenridge type center sooner rather than later. Remember, retail was part of the proposal of the Diamond Jaxx when they were looking at 153, before the Drive.

I agree with Skyliner, Cherrydale is the Northside. On the Westside, White Horse Road already has a good deal of retail and I could see it definitely being ripe for a Target, Starbucks, Kohl's, Petsmart, etc, etc. I think it's just a matter of time. Powdersville has really been growing and I think with the addition of developments like Acadia, this area will boom. There are neigborhoods in Powdersville with 500K plus homes and retailers are recognizing this (Outback opening was a good sign). With plentiful land along 85 and 153, this area will be home to a Cherrydale of Greenridge type center sooner rather than later. Remember, retail was part of the proposal of the Diamond Jaxx when they were looking at 153, before the Drive.

But the Outback is in Easley, but it defiantley will draw from Powdersville.

It is debatable what is considered Greenville's west side. Most of the time it includes the Anderson Road, Dunean, Judson, Welcome, White Horse Road areas.

The area around White Horse Road (US-25) and West Blue Ridge Drive (SC-253) is predominantly Hispanic. This is also common at SC-253 and Cedar Lane Road (SC-183).

Anderson Road (SC-81) at White Horse Road is awful. You have several nearby rough neighborhoods with higher poverty and crime levels. Most businesses have closed up or relocated away from the area. This is a factor why Bi-Lo has not replaced or expanded its store across from Carolina Academy, it may close soon.

I agree that there are a lot of rough areas on the westside. I work near the Dunbar/Augusta intersection, and that whole area is pretty rough. I think that old bakery factory in front of the high school could be remade into some really nice office/retail (no apts because of the railroad tracks). The stadium is really starting to have an effect on this area though, Pendleton West, and other parts of that neighborhood have constr. It looks like some of the old houses are being renovated, perhaps for apts. Down Anderson road from there though are some really rough sections. Do you guys think that a new development at Anderson/25 would help to revive this section of Anderson? This would draw from Powdersville as well as berea, and may inspire a developer or two to tackle some of those neighborhoods. If they build it will others come?

That's such a rough area... Thinking about revitilization of it just baffles me. It can be done I'm sure (and needs to be), but it's a massive area with too many problems. Maybe someone will take a risk and it will pay off.

I'm talking about the westside in general, by the way.

It would be a shame if it isn't ever at least tried. I think there is a lot of potential on the westside, even though you are correct, it would be a MASSIVE effort. Still there are a lot of old houses that could be nice, some new development might help speed it up. I think eventually Greenville will have to start dealing with it's Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde aspect (Eastside / Westside). Growth needs to be even and balanced. Cities that have a major division in it's quality have much less harmony and closeness.

Is that Bakery still open?

I could also envision the Eagle Iron works on Dunbar being torn down to make way for another Pendleton West type development.

It would be a shame if it isn't ever at least tried. I think there is a lot of potential on the westside, even though you are correct, it would be a MASSIVE effort. Still there are a lot of old houses that could be nice, some new development might help speed it up. I think eventually Greenville will have to start dealing with it's Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde aspect (Eastside / Westside). Growth needs to be even and balanced. Cities that have a major division in it's quality have much less harmony and closeness.

Is that Bakery still open?

I could also envision the Eagle Iron works on Dunbar being torn down to make way for another Pendleton West type development.

I think it would be a shame to tear down Eagle Iron works. It could make an awsome club.

Kroc Center is expected to cure some of the ills in the West Greenville/ Gower neighborhood. That should help "downtown" West Greenville, which is becoming a trendy artist community. Remember 10 years ago, no one thought the West End could be saved....

However, White Horse Road will always be White Horse Road.

A few years ago I bought a house near the corner of Mills Ave and Augusta Rd. I chose to live on this side of town because it does not have as much of the sprawl and traffic that is on the east side. I would be perfectly happy if we do not see any more of the big box stores or another Greenridge on this side of town. Right now I try to stay away from Woodruff Rd as much as possible. I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement. I just hope it is not more of the typical mess that we already have too much of. I would like to see more of the older homes be renovated, along with new residential and neighborhood friendly commercial development. With projects like Mills Mill, the proposed Church St corridor improvements, Pendleton West, and others, I think it is only a matter of time before redevelopment continues to spread into this area. At least that is what I was hoping when I moved in. The west side of town would be a prime spot for the city to begin annexing land as a part of redevelopment.

DSCF0574.jpgDSCF0573.jpg

They have just started demolishing Shealys electrical this morning. Not sure if the property has sold or what the plans are but something is going on. :D Did a little more research and the property sold on 04-18-2005 to SAAD BAKERY LLC ( I have no idea ?) for $1,100,000.00.

Greg Saad bought that building and has been planning a development for it, I knew they were pretty far along but I didn't know that far. As of just a few weeks ago the building was still for sale for $2,200,000.

That was the price it would take to sell rather than for him to develope it. Glad to see things are moving forward with the development of that site.

Thanks for the photo, they had about half of this building demolished as of this afternoon. Haven't heard any rumors about what it might be.

Anybody seen the houses across the street form the houses going up at Pendleton project. It looks like several of them are being gutted, and there are construction materials around. Don't know if they are being renoveted or perhaps turned into apartments/condos.

Our threads are getting a bit mixed, this is a West Side thread which is a different location than the West End. But regarding the homes newa Pendleton West. Their is a triplex going through a extensive renovation and a boarding house burned down recently.

Archived