2nd Full Service Grocery opens in DT Charlotte

monsoon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went & grabbed a sandwich there for lunch. The place was full of people just admiring what a real urban supermarket is like...and people actually shopping. The layout works so well. Small checkouts for walk in customers are at the street entrance and full size buggy checkouts are at the side of the store that meets the garage. The fact that it has 55 dedicated spaces is going to help so much.

its funny that people forget about Reids, but that store is just kinda fickle as grocery stores go. Even many of the well to do in Center City dont do real shopping there. its just a grab what you need or grab tonights dinner place. I was sad to learn they were out of charcoal recently, whats up with that?

you know this was spectrums first real residential development? Im impressed. Now that theyre working on an urban retail proposal i wonder what will happen. Evidently, their proposal for the convention center will be very similar to Block E in Minneapolis, down to the tenants. A movie theater really is the next big milestone for downtown and it will happen there if anywhere. theyre just starting design work so i guess it'll be awhile before we see a proposal go public.

Its funny that people take grocery stores and movie theaters for granted in the burbs. downtown is just the red headed step child I guess.

Home Depot and Target may still build a store in Midtown next to 277...still waiting for that project to take off.

I had heard about the Home Depot but not Target. Would it be in the same block or what?

Also to note, downtown Monroe has a hardware store, so why not DT Charlotte? :lol:

Guest donaltopablo

Anyone got a map of where the two grocery stores are?

This is good news for Charlotte. Atlanta's "Downtown" still does not have a grocery store, although midtown and other areas near downtown do. But most of them aren't walkable for the most part.

Anyone got a map of where the two grocery stores are?

This is good news for Charlotte. Atlanta's "Downtown" still does not have a grocery store, although midtown and other areas near downtown do. But most of them aren't walkable for the most part.

Is there anything that IS walkable in Atlanta's core? LOL! "Let's put something here and there, oh, let's definately stick something WAAAAAYYYYY over there..."

:lol:

I like Harris-Teeter, they seem to be putting new grocery stores not only in suburban areas, but a lot of urban areas as well. They also recently opened up one in Pentagon Row, in Arlington, Va. I think they also have 2 more in Arlington and 1 in the Reston town center in Reston.

This is GREAT news! I've always wondered why its been so difficult to get grocery stores and movie theaters built downtown. I know Charlotte and a number of NC's big cities have a decent residential population either in or surrounding downtown.

• 2 years later...

does the uptown harris teeter have enough capacity to handle all the additional population from the vue, avenue, and trademark in addition to the rapid increase in J&W students over the next few years? also with all the growth planned around the 3rd ward park, the population in the area is on the cusp of doubling or more.

at least they will be in walking distance, so there won't be too much pressure on the parking situation... but i'm wondering whether anyone thinks HT might start looking for a larger space in fourth ward, or perhaps building a second uptown location?

does the uptown harris teeter have enough capacity to handle all the additional population from the vue, avenue, and trademark in addition to the rapid increase in J&W students over the next few years?  also with all the growth planned around the 3rd ward park, the population in the area is on the cusp of doubling or more.

at least they will be in walking distance, so there won't be too much pressure on the parking situation... but i'm wondering whether anyone thinks HT might start looking for a larger space in fourth ward, or perhaps building a second uptown location?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say it definitely does not have the capacity. I find it to feel very small and cramped as it is, and with tons of extra people shopping there it would be awful. We need another full-sized grocery store downtown!

I don't think that one little Teeter will be able to handle all of the business in Uptown in the next few years. Also, when third ward park cranks up and we see the development that is going to spur in conjunction with all of the condos that Wachovia's project will build and spur I think Third Ward may be able to handle it's own grocery store. I wouldn't mind seeing an urban styles Lowes Foods uptown (similar to what Harris Teeter has in size) maybe in third ward somewhere between JW and the 3W Park. I think most of the people that live in these new condos in 3W will go to Teeter if there is no other store built and that will be way over capacity for that little Teeter in my opinion. If a 3W store was built then the JW students will be split on which store they will go to and 4W and 3W residents will likely stay in their own neighborhood for shopping. I think Lowes should start talking to Furman or other developers about finding some space where they can open in a store in a few years. By next year or so I think we will definitely see an announcement of another Uptown grocery store, even if that announcement comes from Harris Teeter again.

Archived