2nd Full Service Grocery opens in DT Charlotte

monsoon

Here in the Triangle, Kroger has been a bit more willing to experiment with "different" concepts than Lowe's Foods. There's a two-story, smaller Kroger under construction right now at Mission Valley next to NC State.

But you're probably more likely to see a store like Earth Fare or Whole Foods than any other type of chain. If there were going to be a 24 hour store, Harris Teeter would probably be it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they could improve their capacity if they included the uptown store in their "Express Lane" program

http://www.harristeeter.com/Default.aspx?pageId=173

basically you just setup your shopping list online, pay online, and i think you can just pick it up with a drive thru or something like that (i've never actually tried it, so i don't know all the details). That way they might actually get some downtown workers who can pick up their groceries on their way out of town.

it is a small store, but isn't bad. i shop there as my main grocery store, and definitely wish they had more selection on a few things...

it may be that they can do some clever things like the above to increase capacity, but it would be interesting if they did a second store, or had a competitor come in.

I hope uptown steers clear of another chain personally. It would be so nice to see someone that actually lives uptown invest in their 'hood. While living in philly it was so nice to walk a few blocks to one of countless "corner grocery stores". They each seemed unique, and it gave such a welcoming neighborhood feel. I always found what I needed, I didnt care if it was a chain or not. In fact I prefered to support local families by shopping at their stores. Realistically I doubt this will happen uptown.

Parking is an issue too. Hopefully the new people living downtown will walk to the store as I don't think the current parking lot can handle many more customers. I agree that it certainly needs more check-out space as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I believe that the surface parking is going away when the Vue gets built.

^see this is why i wish Kroger (and/or Publix) would come to Clt. Publix has a cool store in dt Atlanta and Columbia i think

Yeah, the Publix in DT Columbia is pretty cool; great example of adaptive reuse. I think Publix would do well in Charlotte, but it seems as though HT has a lock on the market (both stores seem to cater to the same clientele).

ooh I like H.T.! So the parking lot is across the street from the building? I like how H.T. is right up at the street and doesn't have a parking lot in front of the entrance

there is an parking lot inside the building, which is really their parking lot.

the surface lot across the street is just a private parking lot. i forgot to look at those signs to see if someone harris teeter has bought some of the spaces... but for the most part. the parking is inside 5th and Poplar.

Archived