GR Wi-Max Project

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WiMax deployment targetting general users and people travelling is a risky proposition. 802.11b/g hardware will not work with it, so people will have to purchase/rent WiMax hardware to get the service.

It's going to be WiMax vs. 802.11n and nobody can say who's going to win at this point. I would not want to deploy a regional network on the losing technology, that's for sure. Even if WiMax is technically superior, that guarantees nothing, just like Betamax vs. VHS.

Personally, if I had to deploy today, I would choose Wi-Fi and hope that 802.11n wins. And even if WiMax does come out on top, at least 802.11b/g will be available and useful for some years still.

The 500 Pound Gorilla is getting ready to play in the the WiFi and Wimax arenas.

Moto Wi4

Not a paid commericial.

• 1 month later...

I heard there is an issue with local Public Safety and the system. Public safety is being touted as going on the system, yet they were never involved in the process.

The proposed systems are Wifi systems while Public Safety would prefer a system based on Wimax standards.

Really? From what I've seen, P.S. has been a part of the process from the beginning.

A wireless LAN administrator can choose to not broadcast the wireless name.

This would be nice if all these secured networks would do this. This way only those authorized can access the wireless LAN...assuming they can remember the "name" that they would explicitly enter.

That would leave all public or un-secured (Cafe type) wireless LANs as showing up when one does an area scan.

I was just downtown near Beaners for lunch and 16 out of 18 networks were secured. The two that were not did not work. Beaners network did not even show up :angry: Of course I noticed this after purchasing a $4.50 iced drink!

City Wi-Fi could lead to interference issues

Can't you just set your office's wireless as your default?

yes, this is very easy.

City Wi-Fi could lead to interference issues

I know I can pick up at least 5 or 6 signals in the building where I work alone, most of which are secured. Is this really going to be a problem? Can't you just set your office's wireless as your default?

Yes, you can just set it as a default, that will only be a one-time configuration hassle for those otherwise oblivious to the wireless traffic around them. However, there are only three valid channels in the 802.11b/g range: 1, 6, and 11. What city-wide WiFi means is that one of these is going to be taken up with a strong signal everywhere in the city. Assuming for argument that it's channel 1, all the other wireless routers out there are going to have to be on 6 or 11 to get "heard." 18 wifi routers divided 6 per channel isn't good, but could maybe be managed if they are spaced right. 18 wifi routers divided 9 per channel = a LOT of interference.

Over the last few weeks it has become increasingly difficult to connect with the wireless connection from my house. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a connection with it. Anyone know why?

Unplug it and plug it back in. That's what I do. :lol:

I did a little experiment yesterday and roamed around downtown looking for free wireless. I found a good signal outside Riverbank Books and bought a beverage.

Over the last few weeks it has become increasingly difficult to connect with the wireless connection from my house. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a connection with it. Anyone know why?

Tell me about it and I'll forward your problem on. I'm here to help....

Tell me about it and I'll forward your problem on. I'm here to help....

The problem is that, recently, what weak signal we did get seems to have disappeared or at least weakened. I think you know where my house is located. Right behind the bazzani rental. I just wish it were a bit stronger i guess.

The problem is that, recently, what weak signal we did get seems to have disappeared or at least weakened. I think you know where my house is located. Right behind the bazzani rental. I just wish it were a bit stronger i guess.

Oh, I thought you meant a wireless modem in your house. :blush: You mean a community wireless connection. Who knew there was such a thing. I didn't think GR was set up yet?

Oh, I thought you meant a wireless modem in your house. :blush: You mean a community wireless connection. Who knew there was such a thing. I didn't think GR was set up yet?

"There are approximetly 20 access nodes throughout the Wealthy Theatre Wireless Broadband Network Demonstration Project area. The project area covers Fuller to Charles, from Wealthy to Lake Drive SE and has the ability to extend 600 feet outside the project area."

I beleive its just a test area for the big picture.

"There are approximetly 20 access nodes throughout the Wealthy Theatre Wireless Broadband Network Demonstration Project area. The project area covers Fuller to Charles, from Wealthy to Lake Drive SE and has the ability to extend 600 feet outside the project area."

twoshort: I'll run a test by your house and check it out. I'll also place a call in to the contractor.

Daddy-O: This is the same project area as the pilot, the contractor never turned off the service.

-G3

twoshort: I'll run a test by your house and check it out. I'll also place a call in to the contractor.

Daddy-O: This is the same project area as the pilot, the contractor never turned off the service.

-G3

Alright.. thanks. Last week sometime I was on my back deck and couldn't get a signal.. so I'm not thinking it's my uber-insulated house (right) thats causing the weak signal.

I lived on Wealthy btw Diamond & Eastern for a bit.... couldn't get a signal, ever.

Just an observation.

-G3

will i get a signal if I live in the globe?

Archived