GR Wi-Max Project

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a little experiment yesterday and roamed around downtown looking for free wireless. I found a good signal outside Riverbank Books and bought a beverage.

In some non-scientific testing on Sunday, I found excellent signal at Riverbank. Since the Free Press seems to be incapable of bringing me a Sunday paper, I asked RB to add me to their order, and that's where I pick it up when in town. (After they locked the doors, I repaired to the great outdoors, which was just as good of a signal.)

After they put the furniture to bed (hey, my laptop's been in the shop for several days! I was in withdrawl!!) I moved over to the parking lot behind Four Friends (near the butterfly). Excellent signal from them, Beaners, and several other commercial ones.

Then it was off to The Bob to watch the final stage of the TdF. Best Wifi signal I've ever had!! And a couple of other strong ones floating in, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like they are going to WiMAX:

"The dream of high-speed, wireless Internet access from anywhere in the city may be real sometime next year."

"Called WiMAX, the new technology boasts better penetration in buildings and neighborhoods than Wi-Fi, the wireless system used in most businesses and cities today, said city officials, who chose Clearwire from nine proposals submitted earlier this year."

The complete article can be found on MLive.com

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

"To address the so-called "digital divide", the city contract calls for 5 percent of the city's households to get low-income accounts for $9.95 a month"

I, personally, think that $9.95 should be what they charge everyone. I don't have a phone line (so no DSL) and I don't have cable (not even installed to the house) and their price is insane. I'm looking forward to this getting underway.

"To address the so-called "digital divide", the city contract calls for 5 percent of the city's households to get low-income accounts for $9.95 a month"

I, personally, think that $9.95 should be what they charge everyone. I don't have a phone line (so no DSL) and I don't have cable (not even installed to the house) and their price is insane. I'm looking forward to this getting underway.

From the above article: "Their WiMax technology will help police officers and firefighters with such things as live video, floor plans and pictures".

A couple questions I have about this project: I assume in the case of the fire department that they will want to use cameras during emergencies to map out safe routes to save people and more quickly put out fires. What camera is out there, though, that isn't going to instantly melt instead of sending images back? Some house fires get so hot that firefighters' equipment rated to about 1200 degrees has a tendency to melt.

Regarding the police department, what kind of system will they have in place to make sure their wifi connections aren't hacked? I think that it might be relatively easy for someone to break-in with the right experience and equipment and then have access to that kind of secure information.

From the above article: "Their WiMax technology will help police officers and firefighters with such things as live video, floor plans and pictures".

A couple questions I have about this project: I assume in the case of the fire department that they will want to use cameras during emergencies to map out safe routes to save people and more quickly put out fires. What camera is out there, though, that isn't going to instantly melt instead of sending images back? Some house fires get so hot that firefighters' equipment rated to about 1200 degrees has a tendency to melt.

Regarding the police department, what kind of system will they have in place to make sure their wifi connections aren't hacked? I think that it might be relatively easy for someone to break-in with the right experience and equipment and then have access to that kind of secure information.

Archived