Glenwood Towers

dmccall

It doesn't matter which war he faught in. That building does not warrant a change at this point in time.

Public housing is for people whom are financially unable to afford their own home, solely. That doesn't mean they aren't entitled to any rights or opinions. I wish some of you lived on the other side of the coin, to realize that the world does not revolve around the wealthy and fortunate.

If the owner decides to let the leases expire and sell, then let that be on their conscience. Until then I guess the insensitive can just wish IMHO.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sincerely hope that when the time comes that the seniors will be appropriately relocated. I have been at the mindset since I graduated HS that the elderly deserve our utmost respect. Who knows some of us might be in their shoes someday. Think of all of the things that the average 70+ year old has been through. I think that the end of a person's life should be as pleasant as humanly possible. Not all people manage to save up $100 grand and can drive around in ther new Ford Crown Victorias and Lincoln Towncars and go play golf or bridge every week. My grandmother was an example, luckily she and my grandfather managed to buy a house in the late '40's which was paid off long before the time of her passing. I can speak from personal experience that to the elderly stability is a very cherished thing and that removing them from their homes can be difficult. I just hope that they are relocated in a manner with the dignity that they deserve for a project that will truly be amazing. It would be a shame to uproot all of those elderly people for yet another bar or condo project meant for the wealthy....many of which would not even be wealthy if not for their poor elderly parents and grandparents that nurtured them into the people they are today....

I'll get off my soapbox now....

I sincerely hope that when the time comes that the seniors will be appropriately relocated. I have been at the mindset since I graduated HS that the elderly deserve our utmost respect. Who knows some of us might be in their shoes someday. Think of all of the things that the average 70+ year old has been through. I think that the end of a person's life should be as pleasant as humanly possible. Not all people manage to save up $100 grand and can drive around in ther new Ford Crown Victorias and Lincoln Towncars and go play golf or bridge every week. My grandmother was an example, luckily she and my grandfather managed to buy a house in the late '40's which was paid off long before the time of her passing. I can speak from personal experience that to the elderly stability is a very cherished thing and that removing them from their homes can be difficult. I just hope that they are relocated in a manner with the dignity that they deserve for a project that will truly be amazing. It would be a shame to uproot all of those elderly people for yet another bar or condo project meant for the wealthy....many of which would not even be wealthy if not for their poor elderly parents and grandparents that nurtured them into the people they are today....

I'll get off my soapbox now....

Thank you. That was all I was trying to say. How about some darn respect. :thumbsup: I've been following Raleigh development closely since the 10th grade, many many years ago. I love highrise towers and growth as much as the next Raleigh fan, but there is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere. I mean come on. Kicking out our elders? :blink:

I deeply appreciate your uncle's service to the USA, (especially in THAT war!). Helping people like him with a disability is the least we can do. However we are talking about public housing. If the people receiving public benefits own their home, they have every right to refuse to move. If they don't own it, they have no right to complain.

This is public housing. We're talking about moving them to a better facility, even; not putting them out on the streets.

Exactly. Our elders do not need to be living across the street from The Red Room. They need to be in a quiet place with easy access to medical facilities.

If new housing can be built to accomodate those in Glenwood Towers without having to be much further than its current location, I don't see a problem with it. I don't think it would be right to relocate these individuals half-way accross town though.

The fact of the matter is that when you are benefitting from government subsidized housing, you are at the mercy of the government. If they choose to build a new facility and relocate residents, then that is the way it goes. If it were my grandparents, I don't know if it would be so bad if they were moved into newer, nicer facilities. If this site does get sold, I do wish its residents the very best but I will not object to their relocation as long as they are not getting the short end of the stick. It is possible for it to be a win-win situation.

If new housing can be built to accomodate those in Glenwood Towers without having to be much further than its current location, I don't see a problem with it. I don't think it would be right to relocate these individuals half-way accross town though.

The fact of the matter is that when you are benefitting from government subsidized housing, you are at the mercy of the government. If they choose to build a new facility and relocate residents, then that is the way it goes. If it were my grandparents, I don't know if it would be so bad if they were moved into newer, nicer facilities. If this site does get sold, I do wish its residents the very best but I will not object to their relocation as long as they are not getting the short end of the stick. It is possible for it to be a win-win situation.

Why bother relocating them? Why do anything? I think it's important that the seniors have access to Cherry. (They've got some amazing Italian designer sofas!)

It's important that they're right near April and George for First Friday.

They need to be walking distance from Aura in the evenings and Helios in the afternoon. I see dozens of them out front after last call downing hot dog after hot dog, trying to sober up.

Why bother relocating them? Why do anything? I think it's important that the seniors have access to Cherry. (They've got some amazing Italian designer sofas!)

It's important that they're right near April and George for First Friday.

They need to be walking distance from Aura in the evenings and Helios in the afternoon. I see dozens of them out front after last call downing hot dog after hot dog, trying to sober up.

I'm not suggesting leaving them on Glenwood South. I'm just saying that I don't think they ought to be relocated way the hell outside of town. Many of those elderly are in a comfort zone right now and I think anything that can be done to ease the transition should be considered. There are numerous properties around town and close to downtown that can accomodate a new housing facility. I'm sure many of the residents have local merchants, churches and doctors that they visit. Why not relocate them someplace that makes it just as accessible for them? There are numerous government subsidy housing development in or going up close to downtown. What's your problem with adding another to accomodate these folks?

You obviously didn't understand my first post.

I'm not sure how I feel about Glenwood Towers.

On one hand, its functional, and dense in an area of town that needs it. It also serves a valuable communit service.

On the other hand, a renovation, or replacement of the BUILDING could provide even greater densities.

Down the road, I can see the building either being replaced by 2-4 similarly sized buildings, greatly increasing the overall number of units per acre. (in an overhead, its clear that there is plenty of parking lot that could be used more efficiently.) I say down the road, because there is plenty of other areas in Raleigh, and Glenwood South, that could benefit from new construction. The older folks may not be going to Aura, or Sullivans, but they (hopefully) will lead to other services DT, such as retail. DT Raleigh sorely lacks Retail.

Now, when this building is replaced, and the old folks are moved (read: run out), where should they go? I think this almost depends on what the face of DT looks like at the time. Looking now: I propose Cameron Village. If the owners (and the NIMBYs around there) could support RHA and build some density there, I would think that would be ideal. That area contains retail, a library, and services.

For now though, I see no reason to replace Glenwood Towers.

Now, when this building is replaced, and the old folks are moved (read: run out), where should they go? I think this almost depends on what the face of DT looks like at the time. Looking now: I propose Cameron Village. If the owners (and the NIMBYs around there) could support RHA and build some density there, I would think that would be ideal. That area contains retail, a library, and services.

For now though, I see no reason to replace Glenwood Towers.

I think Cameron Village would be good area to relocate these individuals. They have a K&W cafeteria too. :)

It will be interesting to see what happens. I guess we will all need to wait until 2007.

• 1 year later...

Time to resurrect this for an update. I am rather skeptical that the original premise of this thread (that the lease or whatever on Glenwood Towers expires at the end of 2007) is true, or if it is, the lease must have an automatic 10 or 20 year renewal. I guarantee you if there was any imminent prospect of GT closing, the residents would be raising holy Hell and it would have been all over the newspapers. Can you imagine what the Independent would write, given their already evident joy at ragging Raleigh?

Archived