Bono to speak at Grand Rapids Economic Club

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one time, we would have been saying...U2 is on Interscope records! It's got to be connected! Ah, the days of the speculation. Glad things are back to normal now.

That is a pretty big deal for good ol' GR. I was gonna post it myself, but you beat me to it! :D

Yah, it was actually in the news the other day, but I waited for someone else but no one posted. :thumbsup:

I think he was also in the running for the position of President of the World Bank... How you can achieve that status is beyond me if you don't have some kind of education or real world experince. I know the man is well learned.

For more on Bono - check him out on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bono

Highlights:

"Since 1999, he has become increasingly involved in campaigning for third-world debt relief and the plight of Africa. in 2002, Bono set up an organization called "DATA", which stands for Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa. The focus of the organization is to raise awareness about what he claims are Africa's unpayable debts, uncontrolled spread of AIDS, and unfair trade rules that hurt the continent's poor citizens. In February 2006, Bono was among the 191 nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize."

In a nutshell, he's more than just a guy in a band who wears sunglasses all the time.

I think he does a lot of good work and I'm sure he cares a lot about the people he tries to help, but I get the feeling that he cares just as much about how he looks doing it. Just the impression I get.

He is a rock star- so that's probably not far off. I think it's cool though that he's doing work in these socio/political circles and doesn't feel the need to look like a "suit" and he still gets taken seriously. Figure he's been a rock star for at least the last 20 years, shades a leather jacket are his uniform. :shades:

wait for it...

So jayblogger, is this an Arrested Development quote or just a coincidence? I laughed out loud when I read it and heard Ron Howard's voice reading your post. I love(d) that show...RIP AD... :cry:

If it wasn't on purpose, then maybe any other AD fans will get a a kick out of my post.

• 3 weeks later...

WOOD TV had to ask the question again: "why Grand Rapids"?

Are the people of Grand Rapids suffering from an inferiority complex, or what? :huh:

What is WOOD TV's deal with the "why Grand Rapids" questions? More examples:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4615535

Why Grand Rapids?

A memo from Grubb & Ellis {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Paramount, the real estate agent representing the developer of the secret project, lays it out in black and white. It starts with who we are, and...

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4549188

But we asked, why Grand Rapids? Bill Bussey, Vice President of Grubb Ellis says Grand Rapids

No kidding, thats the same thing I thought... Why in the hell would you ask this question anyway? Isn't Bono here on invintation? Its not like he decided to stop what he was doing and fly to GR just to be here for the hell of it. What's funny is the response from Heartwell, its almost like he knows of something that maybe comming up for GR.

Archived