Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Student

Hartsfield Jackson International is experiencing many new developments; so many that is deserves a thread of it's own.

From Hartsfield Jackson's Official Website

CONRAC Automated People Mover (APM) System

One of the key projects in the Hartsfield-Jackson Development Program is a new Consolidated Rental Car Facility (CONRAC). This Facility is designed to serve as a single area in which all rental car companies serving the airport are located. In order to provide easy customer access to this new facility located across Highway 85 from the airport, the City of Atlanta is procuring an Automated People Mover (APM) System which will operate from the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to the new CONRAC facility, with an intermediate stop at the Georgia International Convention Center, as depicted in the graphic below.

conrac.gif

051021image01.jpg

Brief System Description

*~ 1.5 miles long, dual lane elevated guideway

*Pinched-loop system

* 3 Stations

*Maintenance & Storage Facility

*Initial Capacity

*Ultimate Capacity

Edited by Student

• 1 month later...

Some Additional information...

During construction of the APM system, many ground transportation services will have their staging locations altered. Customer service representatives and special color coordinated signs will be available to assist passengers at the airport.

Expected Changes during the CONRAC construction:

Limousine: Travelers who have reservations with limousine companies will find sedan limousine operations relocated from the current limousine lot to the South hourly parking deck.

Taxicabs: There are no changes in the taxicab operation during this construction. However, the area will now have a red taxi sign to indicate its location.

Atlanta Metro Shuttles: Shuttle vans will be relocated from Island F to the Green Bus aisle beginning April 24, 2006.

Non-Metro Shuttles: Non-metro shuttle vans will be relocated from island E to the Green Bus aisle beginning April 24, 2006.

Hotel Shuttle Service: Beginning May 5, 2006, passengers will find hotel shuttles moved further west to the area labeled with the Pink Bus in the Ground Transportation Center.

Atlanta Link Shuttle (City of Atlanta

• 4 months later...

We don't really discuss our airport much but I thought I would resurrect this thread to give some updates on direct flights that will be added to the airport.

Delta Air Lines plans to launch nonstop flights from Atlanta to Dubai and Seoul next spring as part of a batch of seven new nonstop routes the carrier is adding in the second year of its big push overseas.

Besides the new flights to the United Arab Emirates and South Korea, Delta is expected today to announce new nonstop service from Atlanta to Prague, Czech Republic, and Vienna, Austria.

This is great news for Delta and the airport as well. In a world of fierce competition, it os great to see that the airport is not merely resting on it's laurels as the world's busiest airport funneling over 88,000,000 passengers to destinations around the world. I think often times we in Atlanta (most of us who are 35 and under have always lived in a "big" city) take the importance of Hartsfield-Jackson for granted. This airport is an amazing assest.

Anyway, from an article in the AJC today:

How did Dubai show up on its route-planners' radar?

The airline's top managers say an Atlanta-Dubai route will connect gateways between the southern United States and the Middle East and India, cutting five hours from most trips.

This should make a very good case for more southwest Asian flights in the near future.

Also noted from the article:

Delta has also been expanding aggressively in Latin America, and is planning to launch routes this fall to cities in South Africa, Senegal and Ghana. The airline is also seeking flying rights to China.

Last month, Mayor Franklin, the Chamber of Commerce and the CEO of Delta were all in Beijing to present the city of Atlanta as an excellent gateway for a non stop flight from China to the US. China only offers flight privileges to it's major airports every so often and the next window is open sometime in 2008. Hopefully Atlanta (Delta) will be awarded the next slot. This will bode well for flights to the 2008 Summer Olypmics as well as the economic boost to the city. In an increasingly international marketplace, Atlanta must focus on being an international player. With all of the infrastructure and old business here, we are poised to becoming even more international....and Hartsfield-Jackson will play a very big role in this bright future.

To read more of the article, visit here:

Airport to gain more international direct flights in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Delta first to get world's longest range commercial jetliner.

This is great news for Delta as it increases it's international prescence. It is also great news for many of Delta's hubs....including Hartsfield-Jackson.

"These aircraft will enable us to fly non-stop to ultra long distance destinations across Asia and the Middle East as we continue our international expansion," said Mel Fauscett, managing director of Fleet Planning & Acquisition for Delta. "The range of these aircraft coupled with innovative cabin features will allow customers to travel to popular international destinations in superior comfort and distinguish Delta's customer experience among the U.S. carriers."

The article was not long so I will not post a link but the information was gotten from the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

• 6 months later...

Feds give Atlanta $1M to study second metro airport - Business Chronicle

According to a study released May 15 by the Federal Aviation Administration, four U.S. cities -- Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas and San Diego -- will need new airports by 2025. The FAA also anticipates a need for as many as 15 new airports nationwide by 2025.

The federal government is "making the $1 million available for the city to look at new solutions," she said. "Now is the time for Atlanta to consider having multiple commercial airports."

I wonder what a second metro airport would do to the number of flights going into (and out of) Hartsfield?

I guess another question is would a second airport be more of a regional one rather than international? It would make since to have the majority of smaller shorter regional flights come out of another airport with maybe Airtrans having their hub there and most of the international and cross country flights with the larger planes coming out of Hartsfield.

If I heard correctly, Delta is skeptical of the possibility of building a second airport while AirTran isn't for it, but isn't against it.

...Something like that. I'll have to see if there's an article on it somewhere.

I don't know much about Dekalb airport, but could it be upgraded to handle commercial flights? I agree that moving AirTran and any other low-cost carrier, that doesn't cross-book flights would be the best option.

You know, AirTran has said (or implied) that it would actually consider moving here if we would give it a hub of its own intsead of one it has to share with Delta.

Dobbins AFB wold be the best choice in my opinion. It can already handle large planes and the neighbors are already used to the noise, so politically it would be the easiest sell. And...didn't the DOD consider shuttering Dobbins anyway?

True about Dobbins, but I think some other organizations (I can't remember which--perhaps the GA National Guard) are lookign at the place. I think there was a topic here on it a while back. I'll have to go find it.

• 3 weeks later...

The new international terminal is great, it just has a long name, The Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal or (MHJJIT),maybe we can just call it the MHJ Terminal, and no disrespect to the former mayor.

Does that mean the name of the airport will revert to Hartsfield Atlanta International?

Does that mean the name of the airport will revert to Hartsfield Atlanta International?

No absolutley not. I always say that I've got to catch a flight at the ATL. You know these days everything gets abreviated. But no I love the name of Hartsfield-Jackson, since they were both instrumental in the airports developement.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

International traffic surges at airport.

More great news at Hartsfield-Jackson....

Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is increasingly becoming a major gateway for passengers boarding flights for other countries, according to numbers reported Thursday by the federal government.

Atlanta's airport had one of the fastest rates of international passenger growth in the nation for the first six months of this year among domestic carriers, according to numbers compiled by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The numbers show international traffic at Hartsfield-Jackson jumped 12.5 percent over the same six-month period the year before.

This is quote impressive when one considers the sheer number of passengers handled by the airport annually. This also bodes well for international exposure.

ATLANTA'S INCREASING NUMBERS OF INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS

Airport ____Jan.-June 2007_______Rank______Jan.-June 2006____% Change

Miami______________2.3 million_________________1______________2.2 million_______________5.6%

Atlanta_____________1.96 million________________2______________1.7 million_______________12.5%

New York/JFK________1.86 million________________3______________1.6 million_______________12.4%

Newark_____________1.8 million_________________4______________1.6 million_______________9.3%

Chicago/O'Hare______1.6 million_________________5______________1.6 million_______________1.5%

Also in airport news..............

Airport terminal gets $110 million push from the Atlanta City Council.

In keeping with the increase of international passengers at Hartsfield-Jackson, the city council has taken major steps to make the newer international terminal a reality. While the airport may be essentially landlocked, I am happy to see that passengers and flights will not be neglected nor compromised. I know that Atlanta values it's airport. It has been vital to our success and growth. Clearly a healthy and efficient airport is paramount to continued success.

A new international terminal for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is still on the drawing boards, but city officials took major steps Wednesday to make sure it's in operation by 2011.

Two committees of the Atlanta City Council approved $110 million in construction funds to build and equip two tunnels that will be used by underground trains to carry passengers back and forth to the facility from the main terminal.

"It looks like we're getting started on the international terminal," said Councilwoman Clair Muller, who chairs the Transportation Committee, after her panel approved the release of $45 million to dig the two tunnels and line them with concrete.

The Finance Committee later in the day approved $65 million for the trains, track and various systems needed to make the people-movers work. Most of the construction funds, which will be voted on by the entire City Council next week, come from passenger fees, federal grants and airline fees.

"We're going forward with the terminal," airport General Manager Ben DeCosta said after the Transportation Committee vote. "This terminal is needed for this airport and the area's future."

To read more, click here:

$110 Million allocated to new international terminal.

Also in airport news..............

Airport terminal gets $110 million push from the Atlanta City Council.

In keeping with the increase of international passengers at Hartsfield-Jackson, the city council has taken major steps to make the newer international terminal a reality. While the airport may be essentially landlocked, I am happy to see that passengers and flights will not be neglected nor compromised. I know that Atlanta values it's airport. It has been vital to our success and growth. Clearly a healthy and efficient airport is paramount to continued success.

To read more, click here:

$110 Million allocated to new international terminal.

I think the new terminal will open ATL up to more international flights. That market is redhot for a dedicated far eastern carrier like China Airlines or JAL passenger service IMO.

Lexy - We used to have JAL, but they pulled out when Delta started thier Toyko flights. It would be great for them to come back, although I don't know if the traffic is there to support two daily flights.

As an aside, my sister works for Sanyo and her boss goes home about twice a month. He says there is rarely an empty seat on the flights.

Edited by johnatl

Delta cleared for China route -ABC article

Delta Air Lines Inc. has won U.S. Department of Transportation approval to fly nonstop flights between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Shanghai, China, starting March 30, 2008.

Delta plans to provide daily nonstop service between Atlanta and China using its flagship Boeing 777 aircraft in a two-class configuration featuring BusinessElite business class service.

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

Big News for Delta

Delta finally has access to London's much coveted Heathrow airport and will provide daily flights from Atlanta, NY and LA. This was made possible by a new trans-Atlantic alliance with Air France announced yesterday. Delta's CEO also indicated that they will be looking to buy another airline going forward.

Full Article

• 3 weeks later...