Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Sunny day in Flint, MI (part II)

Again, you all might have to refresh a few times before all the pics show.

The Citizens Bank Building, built in 1928.

S_104_0481.JPG

S_104_0484.JPG

The Durant Hotel & Northbank Center peaking out from behind the University Pavillion.

S_104_0485.JPG

S_104_0486.JPG

The Riverfront Character Inn.

S_104_0488.JPG

Looking South down South Saginaw Street.

S_104_0489.JPG

S_104_0491.JPG

State of Michigan Office Building.

S_104_0492.JPG

The trash-filled, half frozen Flint River.

S_104_0496.JPG

Northbank Center

S_104_0497.JPG

S_104_0495.JPG

Looking North down MLK Avenue. I didn't walk down there at all...the neighborhood starts to get bad real quick.

S_104_0498.JPG

Looking up at some of the details on Northbank Center.

S_105_0506.JPG

These buildings are a part of the University of Michigan - Flint.

S_105_0508.JPG

Looking toward Flint's two tallest buildings, Genesee Towers (left) & the Mott Foundation Building (right). The city wants Genesee Towers to be torn down. It has many safety code violations, & pieces of the facade are falling off & onto the sidewalk below. It was last occupied in 1997.

S_104_0500.JPG

The long abandoned Durant Hotel. Alfred Kloss of Daystar development has bought the building & plans to turn it into condominiums.

S_105_0504.JPG

Building north of downtown. I forget the name of it....Riverview Towers or something like that. It is not listed on skyscrapers.com, so I do not know for sure.

S_105_0509.JPG

The rear of the Durant Hotel. The building sits at the triangular shaped intersection of North Saginaw Street & MLK Avenue, hence the V-shape of the building's footprint.

S_105_0513.JPG

More details on Northbank Center.

S_105_0516.JPG

The front of the Durant Hotel. Downtown Flint really needs some redevelopment, so hopefully this latest proposal will go through.

S_105_0518.JPG

Looking South on North Saginaw Street. Flint has a linear downtown along that's mainly on one street.

S_105_0519.JPG

University Pavillion

S_105_0520.JPG

Part I

Try telling people from Flint they have a nice downtown. LOL...most won't believe you.

The good thing is that there is only one major surface lot downtown, and that will be filled (soon, I hope). Half of the lot will become a downtown park, while the other half will become student housing for the University of Michigan - Flint. A lot of the key vacant buildings have plans to convert them into lofts in place.

There isn't much to downtown Flint. It's very small for a metro of 436,000. Most of the Flint metro is sprawl :(. By the end of part 3, I will have covered downtown pretty well. I went into some neighborhoods & took some pics, but I'm storing those away for a later thread.

It's not a nice downtown :)

...but it could be. If these various developers and soon-to-be small business owners don't run into problems and can get started by this Spring, maybe I'll have a reason to go downtown outside of the 4th of July and the Crim (forget the fact that sometimes I find myself downtown for no apparent reason lol). I've seen a lot of articles about development, a lot of "coming soon" signs, and even some physical signs that somebody's trying to do something. Hopefully it won't be a boring Summer as far as development goes...

At least Detroit is only an hour away :)