Hillmount Condos

egrguy

I recently went through an open house and it looked pretty nice for the affordability, but I really dont know the first thing about buying a condo or the neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything I should also know?

Neighboorhood quality?

Safety?

etc?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried surfing past topics for Hillmount and condo things in general and is it better for eventual resale for two bedroom vs one bedroom?

Additionally, for the bankers/mortgage folks what does 80k/120k breakdown monthly with dues?

What kind of sales have they done on these condos? When I was interested in them a few months ago I didn't think they were doing that well.

I'd imagine that 120K mortgage including dues, taxes, ins. will be right around $1K. That's probably a little on the high side though, and obviously monthy payments will change based on what kind of interest rate you can get.

More information on the Hillmount:

http://www.hillmountgr.com/

I heard last week the sales are going extremely well. Looks like Second Story has made many improvements to the units I've seen. A roof top deck, workout room, etc. are being added to the building which will also get a face lift (see pics on website). Some of the top units offer great views of the historic neighborhood homes and downtown buildings.

The folks at AJS Realty who are working the open houses are very helpful and know a lot about the neighborhood, Heritage Hill - which I think is THE best urban neighborhood in West Michigan. More info on them here:

http://www.heritagehillweb.org/

I lived in the Hillmount for 5 years. I LOVED the apartments. The elevator and hallways didn't love so much. When i first moved in the neighbors were great and the place was kind of taken care of. Then a new leasing company took over and the place went down the tubes.

Anyway, that place had been discussed forever about being turned into condos. I'm surprised it finally happened!

One of the great things about the building was that the walls were so solid, you couldn't hear your neighbors except for through the windows.

Don't know if the units still have the old apartment numbers, but the units x15 had THE BEST view of the city. It's the units with the two glass on glass corners. I loved my apartment. Maybe i'll go check out the model to reminisce.

sorry if i treaded on forum rules re: prices, and i wasnt really even getting into "best condo" or "best neighborhood" but as a suburbanite who's only rented the entire condo thing is very new.

and as a serious potential buyer i was hoping to get the real scoop of a neighborhood and condo beyond the normal sales pitch.

and as a serious potential buyer i was hoping to get the real scoop of a neighborhood and condo beyond the normal sales pitch.

I walked through them and they were just 'ok' They define the "apartment turned condo" to a T. No a/c. The location and price are awesome though.

Life is all about compromises :)

I walked through them and they were just 'ok' They define the "apartment turned condo" to a T. No a/c. The location and price are awesome though.

Life is all about compromises :)

I read on the site that A/C is available.. not sure if it's just a big room R2D2 looking unit or what.

thanks for all the help & info -- is there anything i should know going into signing a purchase agreement?

a purchase agreement? Yeah.. as far as i know it means you're bound and you're buying. Check on things like property taxes and association dues? Are they locked (assoc. dues), can they be changed, if so how much and when? What does your agreement say you have to cover on your insurance? I think a purchase agreement means just that, you agree to purchase..

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome michaelskis! If you check back later today, I'm sure there will be plenty of responses to your request. You're fortunate to be right in the middle of one of the largest residential historic districts in the country. :thumbsup: The area to the East near Cherry/Lake/Diamond or one block South to Wealthy are probably your two best options for food, shopping, beverages, coffee, etc..

Where are you moving from?

• 3 months later...

Peppino's Pizza is pretty good. I recommend it with Ranch sauce. Normally I wouldn't put ranch on a pizza, but I like it on theirs for some reason.

-nb

We now have them on speed dial.

On Topic,

One of the new elevators has been installed, and many of the units are now under construction to update/remodel. They also have the wireless internet up and running, the gym is open, and progress is being made every day. In the next few weeks to a month, the laundry rooms (two per floor) should be open. Once that happens the old laundry room in the basement level will be turned into the lounge.

I am still waiting for the roof top deck with gas grills to be installed.

We now have them on speed dial.

On Topic,

One of the new elevators has been installed, and many of the units are now under construction to update/remodel. They also have the wireless internet up and running, the gym is open, and progress is being made every day. In the next few weeks to a month, the laundry rooms (two per floor) should be open. Once that happens the old laundry room in the basement level will be turned into the lounge.

I am still waiting for the roof top deck with gas grills to be installed.

First they have to throw T-Mobile off (that's the wireless carrier whose antennas are visible at the corners).

Archived