The Fight For Georgia's Coast

ironchapman

Spartan....In no way did I instigate that response. Sadly, this isnt this first time Ive been treated this way here in the Upstate ofSouth Carolina. In fact, our conversation had nothing to do about religion until the lady asked me if I went to church. I told her no, and made a point that I grew up Catholic, (not that this has anything to do with me not going to church..LOL!)

Ive been told Im going to hell because Im Catholic (we are a cult apparently to some Southern Baptists,) among other things.

Oddly, this NEVER happened to me when I lived in Georgia, North Carolina or Maryland, (not that it couldnt because 2 of those states are considered Bible belt.)

That's funny. People mean well, they really do. I've never had it happen here, but my girlfriend had some friends at a church in North Carolina try to convert her and told her the Catholic faith was a false religion or something weird. I don't really remember. They weren't aggressive or anything, just concerned.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wouldnt have minded her opinion IF we were on the topic of religion,.....but as usual she brought it up out of the blue by asking if I went to church. I wanted to say non of your f@cking business but she was a client so I had to be nice.

Back to the GA coast....

St. Simons has really developed into a nice tourist destination, and Jekyll is rebuilding some of their older hotels into beachfront condimunimums. Jekyll is limited to 25% developement, so unless laws are changed, it will always provide that desired secluded feeling. The big problems for these 2 islands is Brunswick. Brunswick has been a dump for many years. When I'm down there, I do see improvement, but unfortunately they have high poverty, high crime, and low growth.

Most of Georgia's golden isles are sparsely populated, or not populated at all (Cumberland). This is nice for people who want that, but most people visit the beach for relaxation, not camping and hiking. St. Simpns and probaby Tybee are the only 2 where you can get that today.

Oh I thought you were talking about krazeeboi being treasonous, yeah I know the CE is treasonous, I read the article in Details about all of it.

I kinda live in the coastal empire, so I know what Im talking about. I personally think the sprawl patterns are very different. In SC, the places I have been, and mentioned (which are the places Im talking about) do not look like the local governments control what is built where. There are houses next to strip malls surrounded by a trailer park. There are similar places in GA, but I have never seen any to the extent the low-country SC communities take it. What annoys me the most about the low country (since thats the main part Ive seen) is all the propaganda about how SC is the official travel destination of the new millenium (as if anyone can secure a status for a thousand years) and when you are on I-95, after you cross the Savannah river, there is all the fanfare, palm trees and beautiful display welcoming you into the state and in a split second, its all over, the interstate is the most potholed bumpy narrow-laned road youve ever been on and the first real town you see is Hardeeville, need I say more? At least its not a good first impression.

The small towns in the Lowcountry are indeed a unique situation, and you are right, Hardeeville doesn't exactly make the best first impression as far as cities go. But I see the same type of development in similar sized towns accross South Georgia too (Ever been to Waycross?). Drive on 20 over through Augusta, 95 through Savannah, and all you see is generic unimpressive sprawl.

If your judgements of cities and states are made soley by what you see from the interestate, then you are embracing ignorace.

In SC, when they talk about tourism in the Lowcountry, they mean Charleston and the islands- Kiawah, Seabrook, Hilton Head, Beaufort- and thats usually the extent of it.

Spartan....In no way did I instigate that response. Sadly, this isnt this first time Ive been treated this way here in the Upstate ofSouth Carolina. In fact, our conversation had nothing to do about religion until the lady asked me if I went to church. I told her no, and made a point that I grew up Catholic, (not that this has anything to do with me not going to church..LOL!)

Ive been told Im going to hell because Im Catholic (we are a cult apparently to some Southern Baptists,) among other things.

Oddly, this NEVER happened to me when I lived in Georgia, North Carolina or Maryland, (not that it couldnt because 2 of those states are considered Bible belt.)

That is weird. I'm am sorry you ran into that kind of person. Just remember that they are not representative of everyone here in the Upstate.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been in Hardeeville more times than I can count. There was once a pentecostal revival there at Abundant Life Assembly of God. My church convoyed there every Monday night for like two years... ok I know its kinda funny. I have not been to Waycross, but want to see it someday since everyone i know from there talks about how awesome it is. :blink: Isnt everyone a cult to the Southern Baptists? Especially Pentecostals and gay people.

• 5 months later...

I like the pattern that development of the Georgia Coast has taken, the barrier islands and marshes have both a scenic and environmental value that no development can replace. The Atlantic coast from Charleston to Jacksonville has the barrier islands and marshes which need to be preserved. Yes, Hilton Head, St. Simons, Jekyll, Tybee, Wilmington, and with an eye to preservation, Skidaway. Some of the Charleston suburbs such as James Island are part of the barrier chain. Amelia Island, Florida is semi-developed but there is a strong preservation movement there as well to keep it in check. The dense urban grid that old Savannah uses helps keep the sprawl in check , given the steady but not spectacular growth the region has.

Charleston's more rapid growth is resulting in greater sprawl than Savannah, but the barrier islands to the south aren't being sacrificed.

I recall being told as a child about Cape Fear and Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks of North Carolina being the reason for no large coastal city in North Carolina and the areas reputation as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic. The development there since the late 70's has really surprised me. The Georgia coast and the Eastern Shore of Virginia are now the only well preserved coastal areas on the Atlantic until you get above Portland, ME. I would have expected the Virginia Eastern Shore to develop before the Outer Banks, especially after the completion of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and its recent multilaning. The proximity of Hampton Roads, Richmond and Washington-Baltimore may yet result in this area developing as least to the level it has in South Delaware and Maryland. The multi-laning of 17 may even result in suburban Hampton Roads development reaching the Eastern Shore. Another reason the manage the development of the Georgia coast with an eye towards natural preservation without prohibiting growth.

Archived