Your favorite businesses that add to Charlotte's "soul"

voyager12

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of mine are: Berrybrook Farm in Dilworth, Bookbuyers Used Books and The Common Market, Penguin,Boris and Natasha in Plaza Midwood, Sunshine and Daydreams in Noda, Manifest Music on South Blvd and several more I can't remember right now :D

Phat Burrito - when its a warm day and they leave the door open, and a breeze blows through, it makes me think I'm on vacation in Belize. All that's missing is the sand floor and a bottle of Belikin.

HONG KONG, DISH, and almost every business in plaza midwood... most of which is locally owned by people a give a #$@* about the area. i also think place's like SLEEPY POET, NOFO, HEROE'S AREN'T HARD TO FIND, etc. go a long ways to give the city some soul. NO GREASE barbershop... VIS-ART video. CONTAGIOUS GRAPHICS, which prints shirts, stickers etc. for everything from nascar to flaming lips.

and there's the "one" that got away... MUZAK. the building and work enviornment of this place would have contributed immensly to the soul of charlotte, but alas they set up shop on the southern side of carowinds blvd. man, if only they had've put this business uptown.

Uptown Cabaret!!! j/k

Double Door

Penguin and Thomas St.

Moosehead, Jeffs Bucket shop and Sir Ed's

Prices Chicken Coup and Phat Burito

Manifest

300 East Blvd.

Its like we have small pockets of great places to visit. Im sure I'm missing some I cant think of right now, but those are my favorites.

Since no one is going to say it: Wachovia and Bank of America. They fund this town, contributing heavily to community development and arts. They also are magical faeries sprinkling pixie dust on projects that would otherwise never be here.

But I guess greasy food is the better definition of soul, so I'll go with Penguin and Price's.

It's not technically Charlotte, but downtown Matthews has done a lot to preserve it's old downtown area. Renfrow Hardware and the saturday morning farmers market right next door are two icons for that part of town. Also, Ehmer's Chef's Market: the only German Deli/Market near Charlotte.

Closer into town: this is the south, greasy food is a given, and generally tasty: Lupie's, Penguin, Mr K's, South 21, Price's Chicken Coop all represent.

The other cheap food with Character in this city comes from the immigrant communities, specifically the Vietnamese, Mexican and Salvadorean restaurants around town. Ben Tanh, Lang Van, Be's Cafe, Taquerias Linares and Guadalajara, Pupusa Heat, that other place next to Cedars on Central... as well as the Asian Mall.

In retail it gets somewhat fuzzy since near everything's been torn down, moved, updated... in computers Vitality Computers is a good independent shop down on Monroe, in specialty sports Soccer Unlimited on Park Rd has served the city for many years...

I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to carping about Charlotte's shortcomings. Starting this thread helped remind me of the great things about this city! We have lots of interesting places when you think about it... its just so spread out, it seems hidden. Transit oriented development and the Uptown projects are going to be a great boost in coalescing these nodes into thriving and unique neighborhoods.

If you're driving away from downtown on South Blvd, it's across from the old Queen Park cinema on the left. Be sure to check out the 1/2 price stuff under the circus tents. Real 'trash to treasure' kinda stuff. Every once in a while you'll find some mod Eames-type items in there too. Totally ecclectic which is right up my alley.... A 200 year old Spanish cobbler's bench a few feet from a black and chrome Wassily chair... oh yeah... Ok, granted.. neither of those particular items came from JB's, but lots of other stuff did.

Archived