More downtown W-S condos planned

twincity

nice article two new residential developents in somewhat blighted areas of downtown...

quote:

..."Now, you're starting to see confidence build in that area," he said. "You haven't seen much development over there in the past, but now we're starting to see entrepreneurs take a look at it. It's kind of redefining the boundaries of downtown."

b1d4ef40.jpg

Brown Rogers Dixson building posted by x.man on SSP

article

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sa-weeeeet! :yahoo:

I read an article about the NW part of downtown. It's a shame, it used to be a vibrant community & served as the Black business district. But most of it fell to ill-fated urban renewal schemes. Most of the former homes and city blocks are now parking lots. :(:angry: The church, visible in the photo above, has held on for all those years despite coming VERY close to tearing down and rebuilding in the suburbs. I understand the reverend of this church is very interested in rebuilding the community. Well great news and thanks for posting!

The Brown Rogers Dixson building is just a stone's throw away from the Gallery Lofts which are packaged as higher end condos but I think that the BRD should be targetted at a lower price range. It is not an attractive building by any means and there must be a market for people who do not want an apartment but can not afford the luxury of some of these new developments. If the price falls from $80k - 150K, then I think it will do well. Keep in mind, railroad tracks go right through this area, which trains go through at least daily, and until they move the tracks as part of the development of the Piedmont Research Technology Park, prices have to reflect that negative impact.

As it is, North Main north of Fifth, needs plenty of work along with the adjacent Liberty St to really create a desireable neighbourhood. The condos as part of Trader's Row development on Trade St will be snapped up because the neighbourhood is desireable. The building dominates the whole street and will definitely create a focal point for the neighbourhood.

The Brown Rogers Dixson building is just a stone's throw away from the Gallery Lofts which are packaged as higher end condos but I think that the BRD should be targetted at a lower price range. It is not an attractive building by any means and there must be a market for people who do not want an apartment but can not afford the luxury of some of these new developments. If the price falls from $80k - 150K, then I think it will do well. Keep in mind, railroad tracks go right through this area, which trains go through at least daily, and until they move the tracks as part of the development of the Piedmont Research Technology Park, prices have to reflect that negative impact.

As it is, North Main north of Fifth, needs plenty of work along with the adjacent Liberty St to really create a desireable neighbourhood. The condos as part of Trader's Row development on Trade St will be snapped up because the neighbourhood is desireable. The building dominates the whole street and will definitely create a focal point for the neighbourhood.

Are they planning on moving the train tracks that go right beside of The Gallery Lofts. Is this part of the PTRP or are you talking about another section of train tracks?

I didn't realize that the downtown train tracks through the RJR property were still in use. I'm glad to see that the Brown Rogers Dixson Building is being re-developed. I don't find it to be an unsightly building at all, but rather one of the better examples of Winston-Salem's economic past. I think the whole area around Main Street from 5th to Liberty is full of great buildings that could be redeveloped to be a bridge between the Goler development and the Trade Street Arts District.

Archived