What would you rather see in GR's skyline?

snoogit

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• 1-3 giant 50+ Story buildings
    • 10-20 regular 15-30 story buildings

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[...deep breath]

I understand. A collection of midrises built along a river serving as a regional destination definitely does not at all resemble Grand Rapids. What was I thinking? There are no similarities whatsoever. My mistake.

However, my point really focused more on the fact that there are things about this city that GR could emulate. Despite the fact that it has a winter that lasts from November to March, Regina has gotten along fine without a large collection of skywalks (correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't like those, right?). Downtown Regina has developed a bustling retail environment of over 150 shops, boutiques, etc. - things that would be nice in our downtown. Also, Regina recently introduced a streetcar system - I seem to recall that someone on this board was a big fan of something similar here in GR.

Sheesh, instead of being snarky, just ask for elaboration. :cry:

Maybe you would like Hong Kong. Lots of rapid growth, many huge poorly designed buildings which look very drap and oppressive. But they cover it up with lots of neon and paint. I still vote for quality building and smart growth. Rather than a few bad ideas.

hongkong.jpg

Quality building and smart growth are fairly subjective. In any skyline there are a few buidlings that people look at and say, What were they thinking? There are also buildings that some people like and other people hate. A vibrant downtown with a few questionable choices is better than a dead one with beautiful buildings.

Let me clarify. If we had a downtown of beautiful building and smart growth it would not be dead. The aesthtic of a building is very subjective but I think that most can agree on what is and what is not a good building and a good addition to our city. For example not everyone likes the asthetic of Frank Loyd Wright's buildings, however most people will agree that they are "quality architecture." We do not have to choose between a vibrant downtown versus having a beautiful one, they are not polar opposites. They can and should both be achieved. As for smart growth and good urban planning there is no subjectivity. Just look at all of the urban renewal projects of the 60's-70's that we are now trying to undo. Look at the wasteland of strip malls and the 28th streets of America. Is urban sprawl considered good? Perhaps by Exon/Mobile and GMC.

well, I would rather see 1-3 50+ stories for looks and all practicallity. The skyline is pretty flat as is and one or two large buildings to mix it up would look great IMO, putting even 10 buildings that are between the hights of bridgewater and AGP would look very boring, unattractive and would have a lot more floor space than 1 or 2 taller ones. So if theres demand for it build a taller building or two to build up the skyline.

Last Sunday's Gr Press Travel section showed a skyline shot of Cleveland including the R&R Hall of Fame. Iconic doesn't need to be tall. I don't have a link to the photo, but perhaps someone can find it and post it here. I recall thinking "hmmmm... that's not too bad" when I saw it.

Last Sunday's Gr Press Travel section showed a skyline shot of Cleveland including the R&R Hall of Fame. Iconic doesn't need to be tall. I don't have a link to the photo, but perhaps someone can find it and post it here. I recall thinking "hmmmm... that's not too bad" when I saw it.

Nice photoshop wingbert!

Here's an example of a section of Berlin that doesn't have much wrong with it, IMO. Notice the lack of high-rises (only 3 at about 200 - 300 ft in the entire development):

Potsdamer Platz Berlin - Photo Tour

(Gotta make it to Germany some day)

Of course, this area in Berlin is extensively served by mass transit, as you can see in Part II of the photo thread..

I think GR should borrow some of Berlin's "modern mixed with classical with intense ground-level activities" mantra.

• 1 month later...

Archived