best of rhode island recs?

simi

Searching for recommendations for following services. Please say if there is a particular person at the business whom you go to and why they or the place are so good:

hair stylist

hair colorist

bikini wax

manscaping (back waxing etc)

eyebrow shaping (threading or wax)

facials

massage

tailor

pedi/manicure

personal shopper

makeup artist (can be someone at a dept store counter)

health club

personal trainer

psychic??? for those who can't afford shrinks...or any other unique services such as private chefs etc.

thanks very much!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Searching for recommendations for following services. Please say if there is a particular person at the business whom you go to and why they or the place are so good:

hair stylist

hair colorist

bikini wax

manscaping (back waxing etc)

eyebrow shaping (threading or wax)

facials

massage

tailor

pedi/manicure

personal shopper

makeup artist (can be someone at a dept store counter)

health club

personal trainer

psychic??? for those who can't afford shrinks...or any other unique services such as private chefs etc.

thanks very much!

there a thread for haircuts in providence. as for the others, you might want to search the forums (using the bottom search box). the haircut thread has some info on other salon type things.

i've had my suit tailored at men's wearhouse in warwick. they did a good job (and any future alterations would be free). my fiancee had a dress altered at a place on the post road in warwick near airport rd. i don't remember the name of it. she had a great pedicure/manicure from spadessy on dorrance st, but the polish chipped within a week off her fingers.

check citysearch for the other stuff... there's reviews there.

for my haircut, i've gone to several places in the area. prime cut on smith and river, didn't like them, but if you want a quick buzz and look like everyone at PC, go there. it's cheap. some place next to spardello's on mineral spring. i came out looking very italian. the cut wasn't that great either. elmhurst barber or salon or something like that. he did a pretty good job for the one time i went there. dellaria in the mall (full service salon minus the nails i think). i saw liz there. more expensive and she started slacking, so i stopped going there. and finally, jack's barber shop on branch across from the park at charles. $15, great haircut. i'll continue to go there...

I'd recommend the gym over at Davol Square. It's a tad expensive, but the staff is very friendly and the machines are top notch quality. I was paying $50, but I had a student membership. The regular membership is probably somewhere around $75, I'd at least try the 2 week trial just to get a feel for it. I was able to convince myself to go to the gym (walking from fed. hill to the jewelry district) a lot more than I would have for a gym without the same amenities.

Their hair salon used to feature weekly visits from some guy who's a world class cutter (i forget the term they used for him) and who was only one of a handful in the country. He stopped Wednesday between his other jobs in New York and Boston.

Whoa... I'm sorry (and maybe a bit proud?) to say I've never had the need for many of your categories.

But I can vouch for the Davol Gym. damus is right about the prices. It's a tad expensive, but the equipment is top notch and the overall experience is great. It's big and you'll never be waiting for a treadmill, even at top volume. In addition to the spa and haircutter mentioned above, they also have the best smoothies in the city :). I was a member last year but now use the JCC since my sister and I were able to get a family membership (and it's much cheaper on the aggregate that way, and closer to us).

As for the rest, I'm outta my league.

- Garris

Gym

Davol Gym is great, I pay 59 a month. In addition to the top notch and multiple machines, they also have an extensive list of classes.

My second choice for gyms would be the newly renovated JCC.

Eyebrow

Poppy on Broadway in the Armory is awesome for a few reasons:

1. They use natural products, great for people with sensitive skin

2. The girl is a gem, excellent personality.

3. It is more than a eyebrow/facial place, they also sell jewelry, clothes, products, etc.

Facials/Massage/Hair

Always had great experiences at Chestnuts. They are pricey, but they are good.

Wow aren't we the uncultured masses... :)

Reading this thread I was glad to discover Davol Fittness. My wife works in Boston and goes to Healthworks. She is thinking of looking for work closer to home and was bemoaning the loss of her gym. Davol Fittness should fit the bill. Thanks!

massage:

Blackstone Massage

other unique services:

I have had good luck with:

Abe's Custom Shoe Service

761 N Main St

(401) 831-9543

I used to belong to Healthworks when I lived in Boston, and boy do I miss that place. In Philadelphia I've belonged to Bally and to Philadelphia Sports Clubs -- definitely not my beloved Healthworks. Davol sounds nice.

Do you have to be Jewish to belong to the JCC?

Yes, you do. We will check you everytime you come in. For the girls, we check if they can recite the blessing over the Shabbat candles. For the boys, well we get a little more personal....

:rofl:

Sorry, could not resist. No, you do NOT have to be Jewish to join the JCC. JCC accepts all members and does not try to thrust religion on you at all....

Archived