How big do you want Metro Atlanta to get?

Newnan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think in terms of population geographic size and skyline

I don't live there, so I'm not really qualified to say... but I'd have no problem if the skyline and population kept growing. I'd like to see the south compete with the north, with cities like Chicago, New York, Boston, etc.

Newnan, isn't this already discussed in this thread: ATL Peak Population?

Anyways, I think I'd like the metro to reach 10 million someday, even if it isn't much more than wishful thinking.

Geographically, I think we're big enough now, but more counties will inevitably be added before we reach peak size.

Skyline...as big as it can get! :)

Well, I think the metro could shrink a couple of counties. Last I heard it streched out to Alabama. If it doesn't shrink it DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED TO GET ANY BIGGER. If it does the whole state of GA will literaly be "metro" Atlanta. Far as population I think we can get up to 10 or 12 or 15 million.

I think those little close suburbs need to reason with the city of Atlanta or vise-versa for it can expand also. Or every single neighborhood in Atlanta will be an official city.

Well, I think the metro could shrink a couple of counties. Last I heard it streched out to Alabama. If it doesn't shrink it DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED TO GET ANY BIGGER. If it does the whole state of GA will literaly be "metro" Atlanta. Far as population I think we can get up to 10 or 12 or 15 million.

I think those little close suburbs need to reason with the city of Atlanta or vise-versa for it can expand also. Or every single neighborhood in Atlanta will be an official city.

In order to achieve 10-15 million, we'd probably need to remain close to this size.

Paris' metro fits in 12 million in an area just a little smaller than ours.

In order to achieve 10-15 million, we'd probably need to remain close to this size.

Paris' metro fits in 12 million in an area just a little smaller than ours.

Um...............not really. LA county is 10 million. I don't think it is geographically bigger than the whole Metro Atlanta and then there is the Bay Area and other dense areas. If you put a couple hundred thousand people in some of these counties with only like 17 people living there it can happen, Metro ATL population would probably double. Adding 50,000 to 100,000 people to each or most of the 28 counties will cause the metro areas population to grow by over 60 %.

It can happen. At least 10 mill.

Um...............not really. LA county is 10 million. I don't think it is geographically bigger than the whole Metro Atlanta and then there is the Bay Area and other dense areas. If you put a couple hundred thousand people in some of these counties with only like 17 people living there it can happen, Metro ATL population would probably double. Adding 50,000 to 100,000 people to each or most of the 28 counties will cause the metro areas population to grow by over 60 %.

It can happen. At least 10 mill.

I'm not doubting the possibility that it could happen. I said I wanted it to happen in my first post. However, given our growth and the type of it, we'd be able to hit 10 mil. by shaving off a few counties.

I'd like to see future growth of metro Atlanta occur through infill and densification instead of people moving to Hart County and Oconee County, SC and commuting to Atlanta. :sick:

I SO agree. I think Metro Atlanta needs a government so they can establish some borders and a whole lotta other things.

Unfortunately the Atlanta Regional Commission can only 'guide' local jurisdictions & at best verbally give an opinion about major development projects. Of course, there can be other ways to persuade governments - but so far the best way is to educate these counties.

But another problem is ARC only covers 10 to 13 counties.

The greatest problem is that Atlanta already exists in a fairly populated region - meaning 50 to 100 psm is typical in rural areas. The Piedmont region itself is a populated rural area, as evidenced in parts of Alabama, SC, NC & Virginia - due to a number of reasons, possibly early 1900's industrialization & smaller farms. What this means is, an infrastructure was already developed for transportation & utilities & as land values increase - there is few other practical purposes for rural land but to be developed.

So on a smaller scale, the same isolated exurban pattern exists around Birmingham, Greenville, Charlotte & Raleigh. But being a larger populated area, the scale & magnitude of Atlanta's sprawl is compounded. So honestly - I don't think it will stop, though Atlanta is one of the leading cities in urban core reinvestment, that won't mean people will stop moving to the exurbs.

9-10 million would be a feasible population for Metro Atlanta, balanced out by 4.5-5 million moving into the city limits. Skyline-wise, I really can't say because I don't know if Atlanta has any height restrictions as to how tall their buildings can go for.

Atlanta proper is only 131 sq miles. While I know I should be gung ho about density, five million people in Atlanta proper would be over 38,000 per square mile. Do we really want that kind of density? Dare a child catch a cold...people for miles would be infected.

I think - realistically - Atlanta's city limits size will hit about 750k, with Downtown, Midtown & Buckhead full of towers & a large number of lowrise condo developments along major street corridors. None of the single family neighborhoods will be fully redeveloped - only appropriate infill. Thus, a majority of that 300k extra people will be in the central linear core of the city & possibly in the NW downtown side along Marietta Blvd.

Just a wild guess of course regarding the population.

But where do these cities attract new businesses & industries? In suburban office parks - thus continuing sprawl elsewhere in GA.

The issue isn't any city attracting new business / industry - the reason businesses are attracted to metro Atlanta isn't because they think it's a great place, but it's still cheap & it's where their market is.

The answer is all about land use, defining one that encourages responsible development & controls sprawl. There is no reason Henry or Gwinnett County should be experiencing an expanding boom in warehousing - when there is plenty of land nearest their prime market, around the airport & central rail freight intermodal stations. Southern Fulton & northern Clayton should be far more industrially developed as it is now - but the problem is, county & city governments do successfully compete & land is cheaper when limited pressure on densification exists.

Just to make something clear - this is a topic that has nothing to do with central Atlanta densifying - pressure to develop in exurban areas would exist anyways. Far more pressure has to be put on suburban / exurban counties to be more responsible members of the Atlanta metro community.

I was speaking more about places like Macon, which is a sleeping giant. With a decent mayor Macon could really grow.

As I was too - when a distribution center is able to find land & a county / city willing to 'work out a deal' just 30 minutes from their target market or the airport for near the same price as around Macon or Albany - they're going to pick Atlanta. It has nothing to do with city preference, because there is nothing uniquely Atlanta in Henry or Gwinnett County - it's just where there is a continuing revolving wheel of cheap labor & of course cheap land.

That's the biggest issue for Macon, Augusta or Columbus (among others), they have to compete against the myriad of exurban counties that surround 20 to 50 miles around Atlanta. Those counties are going to boast being in 'Atlanta' & having the resources to woo any distribution plant.

As I was too - when a distribution center is able to find land & a county / city willing to 'work out a deal' just 30 minutes from their target market or the airport for near the same price as around Macon or Albany - they're going to pick Atlanta. It has nothing to do with city preference, because there is nothing uniquely Atlanta in Henry or Gwinnett County - it's just where there is a continuing revolving wheel of cheap labor & of course cheap land.

That's the biggest issue for Macon, Augusta or Columbus (among others), they have to compete against the myriad of exurban counties that surround 20 to 50 miles around Atlanta. Those counties are going to boast being in 'Atlanta' & having the resources to woo any distribution plant.

I think some responsibility should fall on the state gov. to provide/promote economic development in another part of the state (Macon, Savanah etc.). Atlanta can pretty much handle its own, while these other cities need some type of jump start. If the state would work on making each second-tier city "self sufficient", the whole state of Georgia would win in the end.

Archived