Crime in Jackson

brewers0048

I've seen the statistics for crime rates in Jackson and they seem to be relatively high for a city its size. I've talked to people who say the crime really isn't as bad as its portrayed to be and I've talked to people who say the crime is terrible and they only feel safe carrying around a gun. What is everybody's perspective about the crime in Jackson? I've never spent more than a day in Jackson, so I can't really say. Anybody here who's actually lived in the Jackson area?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it very much depends upon where you go in Jackson. South Jackson isn't very safe, and much the same could be said of West Jackson. Other parts of the city are very safe. I think a lot of those who have fled to the suburbs are quick to jump on the bandwagon and declare that all of Jackson is unsafe. Many parts of the city are just beginning to show the signs of strong revitalization. I think the city will be vastly different in just five or ten years.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Jackson briefly during my career and it's the only city (and I've lived in many) where I've been a victim of a crime. I've always chosen to live in downtown loft areas or midtown districts. In Jackson, I lived in Bellhaven, a fairly upscale older, intown neighborhood to the north. I left my bike by the front door one Saturday for maybe 10 minutes and when I came back it was gone. I called the police and they basically said it wasn't worth the trouble to fill out a report, but that if I wanted to I could. I know crime isn't as bad in Jackson as a lot of people make it out to be, but I think it definitely has a ways to go. It definitely has a higher crime rate than it should for a city it's size. Crime has been one of the issues that has hampered it's downtown revitalization and continued to push people to Madison.

• 1 year later...

Nawest Crime Statistics Aren't Good News for Jackson

The latest crime statistics have Jackson tied in 24th place with Atlanta and Orlando for murders per capita. Considering the populations of their MASs, this is not great news for Jackson. While the City is taking steps to alleviate the problems, simply hiring another district attorney is not going to be sufficient. Jackson needs a real plan of action. Regrettably, I do not see that Frank Melton's shrill tactics have worked. Indeed, things are going in the wrong direction- at least in terms of crime. While this is merely one report, the daily litany of crimes in Jackson does give credence to this. I have complained elsewhere about the media (and one media outlet in particular) consistently painting a negative portrait of the city. While I stil believe that such reporting is negative and largely unhelpful, there's no denying the truth.

In realistic terms, what could the present administration at City Hall do to lower Jackson's crime rate? Whatever Mr. Melton is doing isn't working. Moving to a cocoon in the suburbs isn't the answer. Thoughts anyone?

The Clarion Ledger

• 3 weeks later...

My last visit to Jackson was Mother's day. My grandmother lives in Presidential hills. We grew up coming to Jackson every summer. We would stay the entire time, and enjoyed ourselves. I'm not sure if I don't recall much crime back then because I was young and unaware or because it wasn't as prevalent, but there is a significant difference between the now and then with regard to Jackson and crime.

In looking at going to the grocery store, I still call it "Sack and Save", but I hear it has a new name, my cousin warned me of how rough it had become. It wasn't until we got there that I witnessed for myself what she meant. I believe I saw people in the parking lot selling drugs, and there was an argument ongoing near the entrance to the store. I was also told that old people should not shop alone in Jackson because it's not uncommon for them to be mugged and beaten. I didn't witness this.

My grandmother has told me of numerous reports of drive-by shootings. And most recently, someone in my family had their car stolen. I've also read about the problems at the Metro Center, which was once "The Mall" when we used to come to Jackson.

My aunts who live in the Madison and Raymond areas seem to be quite safe in their neighborhoods, which is a welcomed relief.

From what I have heard, the crime in Jackson is serious, but I still believe that the media hype is not helping matters improve. Frank Melton can run about waving guns in the air until he is locked up or sent to Whitfield. His antics have done nothing to make Jackson's crime situation better. I wonder whether a neighborhood watch system would work? I'm sure this has been tried, but surely business owners would want to protect their own neighborhoods and property? The issues involved are extremely thorny and complicated, but there must be a way out of the present situation if clear heads prevail. The biggest problem in Jackson right now is that there is no leadership at the top. Harvey Johnson may have plodded along, but at least he knew where he was going. Melton simply charges off in five directions at once and goes nowhere.

I agree with you tom. I definitely think leadership is an issue of concern. When I last visited, I was watching the news and overheard a story about two men, filing charges against each other. One was accusing the other of harassment, the other was saying he had to endure unwelcome sexual advances from the other. Turns out they were both on the school board. Has this matter been resolved.

I still don't understand this whole Melton situation. Is he Jackson's mayor?

Frank Melton is Jackson's mayor. He was elected on a promise of eradicating crime, but crime has actually risen since he's been in office. While I think his intentions may be heartfelt, I have come to the conclusion that he hasn't got the first clue about how to run a city. He used to own part of WLBT television- channel 3. He was very good at grandstanding about crime. Unfortunately for Jackson, grandstanding is his strongest suit outside of self-preservation. He did his best to undermine the King Edward project, but now that it's going forward in spite of him, he's all smiles. That hasn't stopped him from directing the convention center hotel project to his friend in Dallas- Gene Phillips, a multi-billionaire with a shady past. If he's not careful, this is going to come back to bite.... For more of his antics, check out the Frank Melton thread. The Jackson Free Press is an excellent source of information untainted by the Melton machine.

Awesome. One thing I do admire about Jackson is the local media. They do a good job with getting the word out. I believe on the news they were referring to the area as "Metro" which I thought was interesting! Tallahassee's media is so plain and uncreative to me. I wish we had a wealthy investor buy and transform one of our local tv channels.

Archived