How has the media handled development news lately

GRDadof3

How has the local media handled development information for privately owned land lately, have they crossed the line  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Media hype too much? Too nosy?

• Yes, the hype is killing development opportunities
    • No, the public has a right to know what developers are planning
    • Torn on the issue

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit torn on the issue. On one hand I feel the public has the right to know, most especially when public land is involved. However, from the development side, I can understand the need to "get the deal together" without a lot of interference.

I'm afraid with Project Whatever the media will be made the scape goat for the developers inability to put the deal together. I think that at some point the wheels will really fall off of this thing (if they haven't already) and then someone is going to stand there and blame the media for sticking their noses in it. When in reality this deal never even begun to take flight.

I could live without the hype, I think its hurting more, because of whats heppened with guys like London, and Custer and whatnot.

Its made the prices for the land go up and up and up.

I haven't seen any proof that the land prices went up as a result of the media exposure. It seems like the people who were given the options had an idea of the significance of the project and the names of potential investors.

Probably obvious from my tone that I believe the media is serving the public interest more by making this information public. True, I'm sure it may have complicated things for the developers, but frankly if they can't handle this media "pressure" then the project's already a stretch.

Too much hype...

Did we really need to know A.C. Green pulled out nine months ago? Is this really news?

To me last night's report on Green not being part of the investment group is such a non-newsworthy story. It's like they can't let go and have to report on anything remotely related to the story.

So with that, let me give you the big News 8 scoop.

... NEXT ON NEWS 8 ...

Hello, I'm Susan Geha

News 8's group of crack reporters has dug deep into their sources and uncovered that GRDadof3 from UrbanPlanet.org is not one of the key investors in the RiverGrand project downtown. Our sources state that GRDadof3, in fact, had never even heard about this project until early this year.

This raises important questions about the validity of the project, as another potential investor has been uncovered to not be involved with this project. This name is added to a growing list that now includes A.C. Green, Paula Abdul, Joe the fry cook at Denny's, and a mystery man identified only as "Fishbone" that lives under the Hall Street railroad viaduct in an old refigerator box.

With so many potential investors left untapped, how will Duane Faust be able to pull this deal off?

I agree with nitro. THe developer HAD to know that the media would sniff it out sooner or later. If they didn't or don't even have a plan to deal with the media, then that seems pretty pathetic to me.

That being said, I think a lot of the media has blown this whole thing completely out of proportion, and the proliferation of ratings-driven non-stories has really gotten on my nerves. Not to mention that some of the reporting has been obviously false to anyone who has been paying attention.

I know someone who worked with a news station and tells me that the commercial news isn't there to always serve the public interest in whole. I think I sympathise with the media circus. After all when was the last time someone came to town and proposed a development rumored to be in the billions, while bringing 10,000 jobs? You also have to say that Channel 8, the great offender, may have been spoon fed some information.

If this is private land, I don't see how its really any of the pubilc's business to pry. Unless of course private land is going to be used for something that can affect the public good.

what ever really happened, or is happening, on any of the aforementioned potential developements, It's always possible that the media, has been given somewhat false information on what's being planned. Who knows, when word of X broke, it sent everyone into a frenzy not just an over ambitious news channel, with an even more eager, and not always visually satisfying, news anchor. Have any of you bothered to go back a month and a half, to see some of the assinine, Ideas we came up with on here? We got all worked up. My question is, do you think that our hype here was/is media driven? I think it's half and half really. We on here can get worked up over street repairs.

You couldn't buy advertising this good.

This project is the live action version of the Simpson's monorail episode.

My thoughts exactly. Its exciting to hear news like this come to town but at the same time, it is overblown in the same way as the Monorail episode.

I like the fact that this story was broken a bit early but I would also like to hear the facts as they come up. Not interviews and stories that are for attracting viewers more than anything else.

My thoughts exactly. Its exciting to hear news like this come to town but at the same time, it is overblown in the same way as the Monorail episode.

I like the fact that this story was broken a bit early but I would also like to hear the facts as they come up. Not interviews and stories that are for attracting viewers more than anything else.

WoodTV, while persistent and amateurish, is not the problem.

It's the negative whisper campaign on the part of certain segments of the GR business community that slows real progress on the project.

You couldn't buy advertising this good.

This project is the live action version of the Simpson's monorail episode.

:lol:

"The name's Lanley. Lyle Lanley. And I come before you good people tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a Shelbyville idea..."

"Now wait just a minute! We're twice as smart as the people of Shelbyville! Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!"

"All right, I tell you what I'll do. I'll show you my idea! I give you the Springfield Monorail! (audience gasps) I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum, it put them on the map!"

Ok, now seriously...hype is fun. Never before have so many people been excited about downtown. The buzz certainly can't be hurting folk's interest in the city. Perhaps the over-enthusiasm gets annoying, but I think the only real reason we're upset with the media is because we're impatient and are afraid they've set us up for a big let-down.

A big investor pulled out? Another big investor is still in? Hmmm, that is interesting. Thanks for letting me know. High-five, Geha.

Archived