Skyrocketing Gas Prices

I came across an excellent short essay in today's (Monday) issues/opinions section of the G.R. Press by Hoyt Becker, from Howard City:

"The people of Michigan shouldn't complain to each other about gas prices. They should complain to their congressmen. Let's go back to government control, like we used to have.

"If our politicians don't want to do anything about it, let's vote them out. With the warmer winter we had, home heating should not have been so high. With so many people unemployed and not driving to work everyday, gas prices should be down, not up."

While this essay is kind of vague, it presents a very interesting point: If we don't like what our politicians are doing, lets vote them out, damn it! That's what a democracy is all about, and if we're not taking advantage of it, then we don't deserve this type of government.

I don't know what you all think, but Hoyt Becker is my hero. This says it all. :thumbsup:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came across an excellent short essay in today's (Monday) issues/opinions section of the G.R. Press by Hoyt Becker, from Howard City:

"The people of Michigan shouldn't complain to each other about gas prices. They should complain to their congressmen. Let's go back to government control, like we used to have.

"If our politicians don't want to do anything about it, let's vote them out. With the warmer winter we had, home heating should not have been so high. With so many people unemployed and not driving to work everyday, gas prices should be down, not up."

While this essay is kind of vague, it presents a very interesting point: If we don't like what our politicians are doing, lets vote them out, damn it! That's what a democracy is all about, and if we're not taking advantage of it, then we don't deserve this type of government.

I don't know what you all think, but Hoyt Becker is my hero. This says it all. :thumbsup:

Bad idea. If you centrally control pricing for gas, you don't do anything to stem the demand. That's where the problem lies.

And unemployment is around 6%, not exactly enough to noticeably stem the demand for gas :silly:

I would not post letters to the editor here unless you're calling them out for us to poke fun at. It is the central clearing house for stupidity in Grand Rapids.

"I would not post letters to the editor here unless you're calling them out for us to poke fun at. It is the central clearing house for stupidity in Grand Rapids."

Amen! the Press prints only letters from wingnuts of every persuasion.

Gas too high? Drive less, run fewer errands, tell the kids to bicycle wherever they're going, bicycle yourself, make your next vehicle a smaller one, don't drive across town to buy a widget, don't drive with only yourself as a passenger (offer rides to others), take the bus where possible.

Something I hope high gas prices helps to accomplish: obliterating folks' utter blase-ness about distances. This is so infuriating. "What, Grandville? Heck, that's not far at all! Just jump on the freeway and you're there in 15 minutes!" When people start thinking of distances in terms of walking, bicycling or bus-taking, maybe we won't be so cavalier about jumping in the almighty car to buy the lastest Made in China plastic gizmo.

/Rant never off/

Anybody wanna trade a civic for my explorer? :D

/seriously.

//25 miles to work, each way

A dealership would do it and you could probably get one of those nice new Civics that really look sharp.

a 2002-2004 Ford Explorer has a trade in value right around 10-15K.

That alone shaves off a good chunk of a Civic's price :D A civic starts at 15K, and goes up to 22K, of course at 22K you're getting the best Civic money can buy :P

A dealership would do it and you could probably get one of those nice new Civics that really look sharp.

a 2002-2004 Ford Explorer has a trade in value right around 10-15K.

It's a 1996 w/ 138k... I can't seem to find a cheap import that has the same value and the LAST thing I want is a car payment.

Gas prices are only going to continue to rise. What politicians should do, but never will, is increase gas taxes. We need economic incentives to not use gas. With prices as high as they are they still haven't significantly reduced demand. I predict land values in the downtown and surrounding areas will skyrocket in the coming years once gas hits $5/gallon.

-nb

Is this a kind of economic situation where people can say, "oh well, the market will adjust itself," or is this a situation dire as people have been making it out to be?

"...And still, others just fill their tanks and forget to come in at all," Hoppen told 24 Hour News 8.

:rofl:

Is this a kind of economic situation where people can say, "oh well, the market will adjust itself," or is this a situation dire as people have been making it out to be?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The market has adjusted for increasing demand by increasing prices. I'm sure a number of you have heard of peak oil and all that. If you have you know that increasing the supply of oil is difficult at best right now, and impossible at worst. That said, I don't predict the end of the world like some people. I believe as prices rise the free market will make some adjustments and we'll get through. As oil becomes more expensive the alternatives become cheaper in comparison.

-nb

The high gas prices have caused me to drive a lot less and stay here in town more which is good. I drive a car that is good on gas mileage but still have decided that enough is enough. Outside of the drive to work, I've been walking to or driving short distances to businesses near my home.

Gas is $2.89 here in Flint

and Twoshort, you should check out a Chevy Cobalt, its pretty good looking, and i know a few people with them and one says that she gets 31 mpg,...plus, way better than a Civic, IMO

I would say "see: jeff's post," but this is the coffee house and anything goes :D. I wasn't looking for car advice, I was just making a statement. But you didn't know that and I appreciate the advice. Personally, if you want to talk cobalt vs civic, I'm not looking for a car payment, and I definately wouldn't get a new car hence the civic comment. I'm well versed on auto depreciation :thumbsup: .

I would say "see: jeff's post," but this is the coffee house and anything goes :D. I wasn't looking for car advice, I was just making a statement. But you didn't know that and I appreciate the advice. Personally, if you want to talk cobalt vs civic, I'm not looking for a car payment, and I definately wouldn't get a new car hence the civic comment. I'm well versed on auto depreciation :thumbsup: .

you could stay american and get a saturn, those get up to 35 mpg and not that bad looking imo

I heard once that there's plenty of oil, just the US dosen't have sufficient refining capabilities.

I don't think the problem is so much our refineries, more that the demand is booming in south east asia mainly china and india where theres billions of ppl, may who are just starting to buy cars also mideast oil companies probably have a little to do with it and our unwillingness to get more out of our reserves.

The high gas prices have caused me to drive a lot less and stay here in town more which is good. I drive a car that is good on gas mileage but still have decided that enough is enough. Outside of the drive to work, I've been walking to or driving short distances to businesses near my home.

One of my urban planning profs put it succinctly: "Live closer to work."

One of my urban planning profs put it succinctly: "Live closer to work."

In an ideal world that would be beautiful but we don't live in a world like that. I work dt GR, hubby works Lansing. What's your profs answer for that? Get new jobs? Doesn't work that way.

In an ideal world that would be beautiful but we don't live in a world like that. I work dt GR, hubby works Lansing. What's your profs answer for that? Get new jobs? Doesn't work that way.

I tried doing this actually MAU, and ended up with a position even further from home just as gas prices were going up hell.gif. I'm now shopping for other opportunities again.

He was simply implying that many people (not all) have the ability to live closer to work and choose not too and then complain about the cost of gas.

It's called making sacrifices...something that people in this country don't like to do.

That's supposed to be the whole idea...get outta the damn car!

City (that would be GR) auction is Saturday the 22nd, 8am for inspection, 9am the frenzy starts. The flyer sez they'll have 500 bicycles available. (Last year I picked up a nice ride just to use on the trails...retails for $$$, auction price a fraction of that. Should have held out for the Calder red Cannondale!) I posted a link to the flyer in the "meetup" thread.

Anyone needing buying advice, I'll be there wandering around wearing one of my Ebay bicycle sweaters. And bicycle earrings. Happy to help.

Come on Gas Prices... Lets go. 6 bucks a gallon.. you can do it!

We've been hearing since the 70's that were going to run out of petro some day. Lets get it over with already and move on to solar hydrogen and all the other ingenious things people will think up once the tanks run dry.

Burn that oil up.. good riddance.

Archived