Skyrocketing Gas Prices

As much as we would all like to blame the big oil companies for being greedy (and I'm sue they are), the prices are just a basic economic function: supply and demand. We have been operating for years on the model of Middle East countries supplying and North America demanding. The price balance came when the suppliers decided to loosen supplies so the price would stay down and the demanders (us) could continue to demand more. Well, now that has all changed. With the rest of the world developing (becoming more like us- careful what you wish for), especially China and India, the equation is thrown way off. The demand is going crazy and the supply side cannot keep up. This is more than they don't want to keep up in order to make more profits, I don't believe they really can. This is going to change our lives, whether we like it or not, the age of the automobile is about to end. We will never again have cheap gas, so we either have to come up with a new energy source, or reduce our consumption. I think we will be seeing a lot more bus riders, bicyclists and mopeds in the months and years to come.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived