City Driving

i am the king of honking my horn. people in this city suck at driving. case and point already stated by all of you. i honk at every idiot on the road.

big city driving is definitely more fun. i enjoy the agressiveness of it all. i just got back from detroit and had a wonderful time driving around there.

What he said :thumbsup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just of rclarification purposes, from the Michigan State Police...

Question: Is it against the law to drive in the left lane when not passing another vehicle?

Answer: Here is what MCL 257.634 has to say about lane driving.

If the road has 2 or more lanes in one direction, vehicles shall be driven in the extreme right-hand lane. If all lanes are occupied by vehicles moving in substantially continuous lanes of traffic then a driver can use any lane available. A driver may also use the left lane for a reasonable distance when preparing for a left turn.

On a freeway having 3 or more lanes, a driver may use any lane lawfully available.

why do i need my junk cut off? i just like driving.

:rofl:

oh dear, Well, I don't think the problem of agressive driving can be solved with castration :P The only good way to avoid bad driving is stricter aptitude tests, and maybe a car pool campaign that emphasizes good drivers, I would think something like a chauffeur's liscence for car poolers would be an excellent idea. Something that gets you a reward for being a good driver. Because lets face it good drivers don't get rewards, only punishments.

i guess it dependes on what type of highway you are on. if you are on I-96 or 196 then i can see your point (although its not enough to make me move over to the right when im not passing). but on freeways like US 131 where there are 3 or 4 lanes in one direction, i dont think there are true "passing lanes" and "slow lanes" i think everyone just picks a lane, and if the person in front of you is going too slow, then go around them yourself.

The problem with this is that it's not always possible because of cars in the other lane. There may be an opening, but not a big enough one to get over, accelerate, and pass the other car before you hit the next car in front. While the car in the fast lane who isn't going significantly faster could have easily gotten over, let you pass, then moved back into the fast lane. Passing on the right is more dangerous.

You would never drive like that in Germany. You would get killed going slow in the left lane. Really. Yet Germany has far fewer traffic deaths than we do. People just have much better road manners and they still drive fast.

For the record, I always use my turn signal when changing lanes.

-nb

I think that the pass on the left and move to the right should be much more strictly enforced here. On the Autobahn, they claim that their strict enforcement of that law is large part of what allows people to go 200 and have a much lower fatality rate than American freeways. Of course they also have mandatory drivers ed and minimum driving age of 18.

i like you. we should get together and drive around the city sometime, honking our horns and passing on the right. im sick of all these west michigan dutch-a** drivers. no offense to anyone here, but y'all are just boring. i agree detriot is much more fun to drive in. :)

You should say, offense to everyone..because that is what you meant.

To the dude braggin about motorcycles and tailgaiting.

STOP YOU MORON YOU PISS EVERYONE OFF. DO YOU HAVE A RACECAR? ARE THERE NUMBERS ON YOUR CAR DO YOU HAVE PIT CREW WAITING AT HOME?

I hope you wreck your car.

Funny story, this one moron in front of me was tailgaiting a semi truck on Wilson Ave going south towards 28th st. This tailgaiting lasted for about 2 miles or more and because of Wilson being a one lane road and the opposite lane full of cars. So the semi truck driver is pissed, hitting the brakes randomly..whatever...we get to the on ramp for the highway there and the stupid driver is STILL riding the semi's bumper. Well, the semi turns right onto the on ramp, the car follows him..then the driver stops the semi with the trailer and the truck is angled in a way where it's blocking the stupid tailgaitor from passing (i was on his other side, moving past). I'm not sure what happened after that but hopefully the trucker gave it to the knucklehead.

I am not bragging about anything. I'm just saying I think people should pay attention to the road and have good road manners. Driving fast is not dangerous, not paying attention is. In fact, on a motorcycle it's actually safer to drive faster than other traffic because you're so vulnerable it's better to not have to worry about cars behind you. Thanks for you kind words though. Oh, and for the record, I do have some closed-course racing experience, not much, but some.

-nb

You should say, offense to everyone..because that is what you meant.

To the dude braggin about motorcycles and tailgaiting.

STOP YOU MORON YOU PISS EVERYONE OFF. DO YOU HAVE A RACECAR? ARE THERE NUMBERS ON YOUR CAR DO YOU HAVE PIT CREW WAITING AT HOME?

I hope you wreck your car.

Funny story, this one moron in front of me was tailgaiting a semi truck on Wilson Ave going south towards 28th st. This tailgaiting lasted for about 2 miles or more and because of Wilson being a one lane road and the opposite lane full of cars. So the semi truck driver is pissed, hitting the brakes randomly..whatever...we get to the on ramp for the highway there and the stupid driver is STILL riding the semi's bumper. Well, the semi turns right onto the on ramp, the car follows him..then the driver stops the semi with the trailer and the truck is angled in a way where it's blocking the stupid tailgaitor from passing (i was on his other side, moving past). I'm not sure what happened after that but hopefully the trucker gave it to the knucklehead.

if you think grand rapids has bad drivers, you really need to get out into the world more. if you have ever been to detriot you would think grand rapids freeways are full of horse and buggys, people drive so slow over here. most other cities in the country have freeways where traffic flow reaches 85, sometimes even 90 mph on a consistent basis, people always pass on the right, people are always weaving in and out of traffic. if you think dutch a** grand rapids drivers are rude, please just go over to eastern michigan for a day and then come back here and tell me drivers are rude.

if you think grand rapids has bad drivers, you really need to get out into the world more. if you have ever been to detriot you would think grand rapids freeways are full of horse and buggys, people drive so slow over here. most other cities in the country have freeways where traffic flow reaches 85, sometimes even 90 mph on a consistent basis, people always pass on the right, people are always weaving in and out of traffic. if you think dutch a** grand rapids drivers are rude, please just go over to eastern michigan for a day and then come back here and tell me drivers are rude.

Your tone and references to the dutch are getting to be a bit too much. Find another topic or find another forum raggidy.

I am from Detroit, raggidy. The difference between the drivers in Detroit and the drivers in GR, is that the Drivers in Detroit, have been driving in some of the worlds worst traffic for decades, they know how. Those drivers are not unique, you find them in every major city accross the United States. And most of the time traffic is so backed up it's hard to find yourself breaking 35mph let alone 85 or 90. Drivers in Grand Rapids however, I can liken to the Clampits first trip to the city. The Lack of etiquette comes in the form of people not respecting the funtions of the lanes on multi-lane freeways. Among other things, I cannot tell you how many times I would hear naive people coming into my restaurant all stressed out because of Traffic on 28th st. or the weekend rush on the inbound i-96. I think the humor comes from how naive some people are. The GR area has kind of grown around them, and they just don't realize it. Whats more is that the way so many talk, is as if the mild traffic congestion in Grand Rapids, is unique to the city. These people however are a dying breed. Most of the drivers are being replaced, by people who come from larger places, they can easily navigate Grand Rapids Simple, albeit poorly planned road system.

And most of the time traffic is so backed up it's hard to find yourself breaking 35mph let alone 85 or 90.

thats SO true. the same thing always happens on I-75 by Saginaw in the summer time, all kinds of people talkin on their cell phones, and they dont realze that a lane ends or that theres construction, so then they merge at the last minute and cause everyone to have to stop. ive been there before where the highway is a dead stop/ slow crawl for over an hour

I think Grand Rapidians could handle this style of city driving.

No traffic light.

And that's with light traffic. I got to experience the roads and drivers first hand when I went to Bangalore, India last year. There's no way I would drive there. Our driver was very good, very fast and aggressive. Basically the right of way goes to the bigger vehicle. The ones that lose out the most are those "rickshaw" taxis, which are shown in the video (the ones that are yellow/black, smaller than cars).

Put a population of Grand Rapids (or most American cities for that matter) drivers in there, and you'll see accidents galore. New York City taxi drivers would probably fit in just fine there.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowing down from 65 to 55 saves you 20% in fuel consumption. Maybe the reason we drive slower here is were all cheap. So when you pass a blue Focus doing no more than 50 southbound on 131 in the afternoon rush just wave, its me doing one ittybitty part for the enviroment. I've found slower speeds to be kinda relaxing and I never get tired of the Michigan wave.

Archived