Tennessee Valley Talk

jmanhsv

Flying in front of the new Saturn V building at the Alabama Space and Rocket Center

from WAAY

Flying high in the Rocket City. The newest and largest flagpole in North Alabama is up today, and Old Glory is set to be hoisted Wednesday.

The 140 foot pole stands at the U-S Space and Rocket Center in front of the new Saturn V building. It's made of A-36 steel and it took an 80 ton crane to set it in place on Tuesday morning.

The Star Spangled Banner that will fly there is roughly 60 by 30 feet and was produced right here in Huntsville, at C-F Flag on Shields Road. Officials say that a flag that large is flown continuously, but must be lowered every 3 to 4 months for regular maintenance.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those against alcohol sales say it ruins the family atmosphere of a community, leads to abuse and other problems within families, and preys on weaknesses to get revenue for city services.

The Rev. Mike Westmoreland, who is with the Athens-Limestone Quality of Life Committee, said people drink more if alcohol is easily available, and that can lead to lost jobs and abuse within families. "Our first and primary concerns are of a moral nature," he said.

I grew up in Athens, and there are indeed a bunch of religious nutcases there. When they held the first vote, I was in college at the time in Birmingham. Since I was still registered to vote in Limestone County, I made the drive up to vote and immediately drove right back to Bham. I'm glad I did since the vote passed by something on the order of ~100 votes. Athens has a beautiful old-time downtown that while in better shape than a lot of small Alabama downtown areas, is severely lacking in entertainment(ie no bars, a handful of restaurants).

After the vote, a new bar/restaurant did open in Athens. It was called Lake Ida. It was not downtown, but was located on a little manmade lake off of Lindsey Lane. I lived in Athens for a couple years with my folks after I got a job in Huntsville while I saved up money(bought a car, new computer, 20% downpayment for a house, etc) and I went to Lake Ida a lot being how it was half a mile from the folks' house. Unfortunately, Lake Ida fell victim to the religious nutjobs too(I've heard rumors of the owner having a drug problem too but that is unconfirmed). My parents showed me an email that the 'good church going folks' of Athens had been circulating speaking of the evils of the establishment. I wish I had kept that email because it was laughably ignorant. The place closed, and I know under new ownership it could have done well, since it was always busy. But no. The moral squad of Athens got their hands on it with plans of turning it into some kind of health food store, which let me tell you, would have lasted maybe 6 months before they would have been forced to close due to a complete lack of business. And get this... The idiot fundy who bought it has done nothing except let it sit for over a year. I mean this is prime real estate... Right on the lake, with a deck wrapping around it. Just perfect for a bar/restaurant. Now the only use it gets is my grandmother goes fishing off of that very same deck every couple of days.

The ignorant fundies have held back Athens for years, but luckily critical mass is approaching and I believe the restaurants and bars will start flowing regardless. This is already happening... A new Mexican and a new Italian place have both recently opened, which I've heard are both excellent. Also, a new steak and seafood place is slated to open. All of these downtown and I'm sure more to come.

One more thing... I bought a house in the Blossomwood area of Huntsville like 3 months ago, which is awesome btw. I love being within a mile of downtown, 5 points, and the medical district. I'm still registered to vote in Limestone county. I was planning on it anyways, but my folks called a week ago bribing me with a good home cooked meal to come home to vote and keep Athens wet. And you can bet my parents, grandparents and brother who reside there will be voting the same way. The fundies may be louder, but most Athens residents realize how stupid it would be to take such a step backwards.

I grew up in Athens, and there are indeed a bunch of religious nutcases there. When they held the first vote, I was in college at the time in Birmingham. Since I was still registered to vote in Limestone County, I made the drive up to vote and immediately drove right back to Bham. I'm glad I did since the vote passed by something on the order of ~100 votes. Athens has a beautiful old-time downtown that while in better shape than a lot of small Alabama downtown areas, is severely lacking in entertainment(ie no bars, a handful of restaurants).

After the vote, a new bar/restaurant did open in Athens. It was called Lake Ida. It was not downtown, but was located on a little manmade lake off of Lindsey Lane. I lived in Athens for a couple years with my folks after I got a job in Huntsville while I saved up money(bought a car, new computer, 20% downpayment for a house, etc) and I went to Lake Ida a lot being how it was half a mile from the folks' house. Unfortunately, Lake Ida fell victim to the religious nutjobs too(I've heard rumors of the owner having a drug problem too but that is unconfirmed). My parents showed me an email that the 'good church going folks' of Athens had been circulating speaking of the evils of the establishment. I wish I had kept that email because it was laughably ignorant. The place closed, and I know under new ownership it could have done well, since it was always busy. But no. The moral squad of Athens got their hands on it with plans of turning it into some kind of health food store, which let me tell you, would have lasted maybe 6 months before they would have been forced to close due to a complete lack of business. And get this... The idiot fundy who bought it has done nothing except let it sit for over a year. I mean this is prime real estate... Right on the lake, with a deck wrapping around it. Just perfect for a bar/restaurant. Now the only use it gets is my grandmother goes fishing off of that very same deck every couple of days.

The ignorant fundies have held back Athens for years, but luckily critical mass is approaching and I believe the restaurants and bars will start flowing regardless. This is already happening... A new Mexican and a new Italian place have both recently opened, which I've heard are both excellent. Also, a new steak and seafood place is slated to open. All of these downtown and I'm sure more to come.

One more thing... I bought a house in the Blossomwood area of Huntsville like 3 months ago, which is awesome btw. I love being within a mile of downtown, 5 points, and the medical district. I'm still registered to vote in Limestone county. I was planning on it anyways, but my folks called a week ago bribing me with a good home cooked meal to come home to vote and keep Athens wet. And you can bet my parents, grandparents and brother who reside there will be voting the same way. The fundies may be louder, but most Athens residents realize how stupid it would be to take such a step backwards.

Edited by Rocket256

I think the wet/dry issue is stupid anywhere- it's not like anyone is forced to buy alcohol. Besides, the taxes from alcohol sold in stores and restaurants helps schools, roads, and other infrastructure; Athens has gotten millions from sales since the first referendum in 2004. Also, restaurants like Applebee's and Lone Star have opened/plan to open there since, and much of their business is alcohol sales. So, if the citizens of Athens want to screw themselves over because something's a "moral issue" for some, then so be it.

This is another example of the Church and State relationship that I hate about Alabama...

I think the wet/dry issue is stupid anywhere- it's not like anyone is forced to buy alcohol. Besides, the taxes from alcohol sold in stores and restaurants helps schools, roads, and other infrastructure; Athens has gotten millions from sales since the first referendum in 2004. Also, restaurants like Applebee's and Lone Star have opened/plan to open there since, and much of their business is alcohol sales. So, if the citizens of Athens want to screw themselves over because something's a "moral issue" for some, then so be it.

This is another example of the Church and State relationship that I hate about Alabama...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I read this morning that Bud Cramer decided not to run for reelection to Congress. I didn't really get it because he's in the majority with seniority and just 60 years old. Did something happen? I figured that he'd at least stay around long enough to see the BRAC relocations through.

• 1 month later...
I read this morning that Bud Cramer decided not to run for reelection to Congress. I didn't really get it because he's in the majority with seniority and just 60 years old. Did something happen? I figured that he'd at least stay around long enough to see the BRAC relocations through.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...