Power Lines

wellen

It could be done gradually, over decades, without causing too much economic dislocation. Modern remote-controlled tunnelling technology allows tunnels as small as 6 inches in diameter to be constructed over long distances. If it were done street by street, block by block, in a few decades it could be accomplished, and would be well worth the effort. I would be willing to pay several thousand dollars to have it done for my house.

I just don't see how it could be done. Think of the thousands of miles of lines that are running around the carolinas (just the upstate), all the streets, yards, sidewalks that would have to be pulled up and put back into place. The cost for new materials, hauling equipment. The interuptions for consumers, businesses, travelers. The project would be in the BILLIONS. And guess what, Duke power would certainly not pay for it, it would be all of us. Our bills would go waaaay up. Better to bury new ones as they are put in. If it is to be done, it could take years, perhaps decades.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the burial of power lines, at least in a significant portion of the city's residential areas, will happen sooner rather than later. Based on what I have read and heard, the city is pressuring Duke Power to do this with the threat of exploring its options when their contract with Duke Power expires. If one good thing has come from the ice storms we've had, it's that it has caused people to realize that underground power lines are the way to go. The fact that it would not cost each person or the city very much money is appealing, I think. Hopefully this is a serious inquiry by the city, and people in authority will get moving on this.

I think the burial of power lines, at least in a significant portion of the city's residential areas, will happen sooner rather than later. Based on what I have read and heard, the city is pressuring Duke Power to do this with the threat of exploring its options when their contract with Duke Power expires. If one good thing has come from the ice storms we've had, it's that it has caused people to realize that underground power lines are the way to go. The fact that it would not cost each person or the city very much money is appealing, I think. Hopefully this is a serious inquiry by the city, and people in authority will get moving on this.

Greenville needs to apply major pressure to Duke on this.

Believe this or not, but I heard that many power companies own large tracks of timberlands in the South, and they let timber/wood companies farm these lands (for a fee)....the timber companies in turn have a large ready made customer with power companies for their wooden poles. Sounds odd to me, but yet it also seems to have some validity.....maybe? :dontknow: Any of you guys ever heard this?

• 1 month later...

:yahoo: At long last.....maybe some movement by Duke concerning burying power lines. An article from the Greenville News about Duke contributing a small percent of it's revenues to a fund for burying lines. Opinions?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70131006

If a significant portion of power lines are buried, this will have quite a dramatic effect on the aesthetics of Greenville. It will make the landscape look even cleaner and healthier, in addition to making it safer for residents. :thumbsup:

If a significant portion of power lines are buried, this will have quite a dramatic effect on the aesthetics of Greenville. It will make the landscape look even cleaner and healthier, in addition to making it safer for residents. :thumbsup:

Maybe not safer for all residents. I agree that from an aesthetics POV and from a general safety POV it's a step in the right direction. However one day I had a plumber at my home (i live in a buried utilities neighborhood) and he was telling me how he hates to work in places where lines are buried because they are not always properly marked and that if while drilling for water lines/etc they hit one - it's game over. I had never thought of it from that position before - but apparently it's not uncommon for things to be marked incorrectly so I hope that they take that into consideration.

Maybe not safer for all residents. I agree that from an aesthetics POV and from a general safety POV it's a step in the right direction. However one day I had a plumber at my home (i live in a buried utilities neighborhood) and he was telling me how he hates to work in places where lines are buried because they are not always properly marked and that if while drilling for water lines/etc they hit one - it's game over. I had never thought of it from that position before - but apparently it's not uncommon for things to be marked incorrectly so I hope that they take that into consideration.

Lines are not always buried at the correct depths either. When we were trenching for an outdoor electrical line through our parking lot, we hit a gas line. The gas line had been installed a week or so before and was supposed to be at a depth of more than 12 inches. Unfortunately, it was less than 6.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I wonder what non-residential areas could see if anything... Augusta Street is one of many corridors that could do without the poles and lines. Especially near the Country Club, where those large, beautiful oak trees get sliced every so often to prevent interference with the power lines. They'd look much better as a whole tree, providing a nice canopy over the street... But that is a residential section of Augusta, so maybe it's included...?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Looks like the city is finally moving ahead with the burying of power lines:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2008305280006

Along the same subject (getting rid of ugly power lines and lines for stoplights), I took the following picture for you Greenville (forum member, not city) as I know how much you prefer lights on arms. ;)

I've seen this type set-up in many cities, but Boise seemed to pull it off the best. ALL signage (directional, warning, street signs, etc), all lights (both stoplights and streetlights).....everything, was built into this one clean structure. Snapped this photo at Cole Road and I-84. I would like to see Greenville work toward this type of set-up in major suburban areas and get rid of the many overhead lines, mis-matched signs, visual clutter, etc.

IMG_0279.jpg

I like that, too, gsupstate! Thanks for snapping the photo and sharing!

It's good to hear that the City is moving ahead on power line burial. Laurens Road near Pleasantburg is one of the worst commercial corridor areas with lines, lights, and signs everywhere!

I've taken structures classes, but those traffic light posts and arms on Woodruff at Greenridge AMAZE me to be standing. Something like your picture could potentially look better in that intersection where the spans are so long.

Archived