Power Lines

wellen

Looks like the city is finally moving ahead with the burying of power lines:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2008305280006

Along the same subject (getting rid of ugly power lines and lines for stoplights), I took the following picture for you Greenville (forum member, not city) as I know how much you prefer lights on arms. ;)

I've seen this type set-up in many cities, but Boise seemed to pull it off the best. ALL signage (directional, warning, street signs, etc), all lights (both stoplights and streetlights).....everything, was built into this one clean structure. Snapped this photo at Cole Road and I-84. I would like to see Greenville work toward this type of set-up in major suburban areas and get rid of the many overhead lines, mis-matched signs, visual clutter, etc.

IMG_0279.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this, gsupstate! :thumbsup: I really like what Boise has done there. It's amazing how much cleaner and more organized a place feels when power lines are buried and traffic lights are on arms instead of wires. I hope our city leaders will be aggressive in this regard. I won't hold my breath that the county will see the light, but maybe if we get the right people on county council...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trees hide our though.

Boise is a city dense with trees. This photo was on a freeway overpass with no place for trees. It really cleaned things up over what we have in Greenville.

Think of our traffic lights and signage at our freeway overpasses....stoplight poles with lines, poles with yard sales signs attached or school bake sale signs, directional signing and interstate signing on separate, poorly maintained poles (many leaning), yet additional poles with nightime lighting, etc, etc. A mess. What would be your suggestion for cleaning things up?

I could see these working well at Woodruff and 85, Haywood and 385, Pelham and 85, etc, etc.

Boise is a city dense with trees. This photo was on a freeway overpass with no place for trees. It really cleaned things up over what we have in Greenville.

Think of our traffic lights and signage at our freeway overpasses....stoplight poles with lines, poles with yard sales signs attached or school bake sale signs, directional signing and interstate signing on separate, poorly maintained poles (many leaning), yet additional poles with nightime lighting, etc, etc. A mess. What would be your suggestion for cleaning things up?

I could see these working well at Woodruff and 85, Haywood and 385, Pelham and 85, etc, etc.

I agree that this sort of signage is more appropriate for freeways rather than regular roads. For regular roads, I like the metal arms (such as those seen on Woodruff Road at the intersection with Greenridge/The Point). Contrast that with the ugly telephone poles with traffic lights hanging flimsily on wires. Yuck.

And let's not forget about our signs for I-385 that point toward "Greenville" even though you're already in Greenville. I know the one on Haywood Road is like this. These should say "Downtown" instead (and yes, this really irks me). -_-

• 10 months later...

Funding is now in place for buried power lines. Some of the commercial areas being considered are Stone Avenue, Laurens Road, Haywood Road and Augusta Road. Residential neighborhoods will also be included. Construction could begin before the end of the year. Article from WYFF: http://www.wyff4.com/news/19047371/detail.html

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Work was scheduled to start today on the burial of utility lines along West Camperdown Way. The scope of the project runs from South Main Street to Academy Street, and a portion of Boggs Street and Rhett Street. It will take 8 months. 

A map and info can be found here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/forms/WestCamperdownMap.pdf

It's great to see this beginning! Haywood Rd's results look fantastic! I guess this leaves Augusta Street's improvements as the last of the City's initial phase of line burial/relocation program. We'll have to wait and see where they go from here!

• 3 weeks later...

Augusta and Laurens are two of the most sensitive with the power line usage. Glad they are finally going under on Augusta. Will certainly make driving safer.

In this instance, the lines will go BEHIND the buildings instead of underground.  Nevertheless, the safety and aesthetic issue is the same.

• 1 year later...

I didn't realize they were already so far along in the next phase of burial along Haywood until today. The short stretch of Augusta where the lines are behind the businesses looks much cleaner. While I'm at it, might as well acknowledge the burial along Camperdown/ Rhett streets. Every little bit helps!

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived