Carlton Place

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had drove past there the other day on my way back to the office on Fayetteville Street after lunch. And that whole block is a flurry of activity. Looks like Condiminiums or perhaps apartments. Anyone know the name of the project? All the signs said was that it is financed by Mechanics and Farmers Bank. :huh:

I checked out Wake County and saw that the large tract of land on the corner of Bloodworth and Davie is owned by Carlton Place Development.

It will be 30% market rate, 70% lower income, with a few of the units going to people making as little as 10-15% of area median income. Not sure if the market rate units will be 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms though, but they will likely be on the top floor. The community wanted 40/60 market/subsidized, but the federal guidelines attached to some of the financing set a cap at 30%.

The "retail" may take on the form of meeting space, community center, offices, or retail, depending on what the market will support. The city also owns parts of the blocks to the west and south of Carlton Place, but doesn't know what it wants to do there yet.

Two blocks north of here, two houses have been torn down on the block owned by Gordon Smith that will eventually be proposed to have all market rate apartments. They are looking for sites to move some of the other houses on this block.

I took pictures a few weeks ago when construction started, but I'm not good about moving them to online. The units on the Cabarrus/East corner are the furthest along, and were at three stories the last time I checked two days ago.

It will be 30% market rate, 70% lower income, with a few of the units going to people making as little as 10-15% of area median income. Not sure if the market rate units will be 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms though, but they will likely be on the top floor. The community wanted 40/60 market/subsidized, but the federal guidelines attached to some of the financing set a cap at 30%.

The "retail" may take on the form of meeting space, community center, offices, or retail, depending on what the market will support. The city also owns parts of the blocks to the west and south of Carlton Place, but doesn't know what it wants to do there yet.

Two blocks north of here, two houses have been torn down on the block owned by Gordon Smith that will eventually be proposed to have all market rate apartments. They are looking for sites to move some of the other houses on this block.

I took pictures a few weeks ago when construction started, but I'm not good about moving them to online. The units on the Cabarrus/East corner are the furthest along, and were at three stories the last time I checked two days ago.

I am a little frustrated at Gordon Smith for tearing down those houses....I know, they were small and in disrepair but I know the purple one had some work done on it before Gordon got ahold of it. Stick these houses in Oakwood and they get fixed up and sell for $200,000. They are around 100 years old, and there just aren't very many of them left. My money still says that whatever GS builds will be generic and of half-a## quality but I could be wrong.

I am a little frustrated at Gordon Smith for tearing down those houses....I know, they were small and in disrepair but I know the purple one had some work done on it before Gordon got ahold of it. Stick these houses in Oakwood and they get fixed up and sell for $200,000. They are around 100 years old, and there just aren't very many of them left. My money still says that whatever GS builds will be generic and of half-a## quality but I could be wrong.

Thankfully there are still plenty of historic homes left in Raleigh within Oakwood, Boylan Heights and Brooklyn. I think the Blount Street project should add to the historical character of the city if done properly.

I hope this project not only turn out nice, but remains nice with proper upkeep.

• 4 months later...

Yep, the first floor along Davie Street front will be retail, offices, or something else. Some people in the community (including me) wanted more, along East or Bloodworth, but the plans had already been finalized. Those buildings were built with steel vs. wood for the rest of the residental-only buildings in the development.

It will be a litmus test to see if retail can be extended east of City Market. I don't know what the rent will set at, but it may be less than City Market initially to fill it up.

The first residents could move in near the end of this year or early next year. I have not seen any plans for rental inquiries of the residential or commercial units yet.

• 2 months later...

If they were going to bury the powe lines, they probably should have done that before construction started when they had a blank slate.

Power lines in Raleigh are only burried on the west side of downtown, along Hillsbrough Street and Glenwood. The east side is just "used to it", why ask for it when you know you'll be told buring the lines would "cost too much" and not make the project doable. Also, there is a huge power transformer station at the corner of MLK and East, suppressing development potential along MLK further east.

The sidewalks have been poured kinda early, but it was probably done while temperatures can let the concrete properly cure. The parking is still dirt/rocks. Stuctural work appears to be done since the construction fences are all down.

To find out more about this and other projects (like Chavis Heights redevelopment), there is a meeting November 2nd in Chavis Park community center presented by Community Development and the Raleigh Housing Authority to get feedback/input for the next fiscal year. Unfortunatly this is the same night as the "High Cost of Free Parking" lecture, so I don't know which one I'm going to yet. I'm going to try to split my time, but not sure yet.

I'm very happy about this project because A) it offers affordable housing (and we ALL know how badly downtown needs that!) and B) even the "market-rate" units will likely be more reasonably priced than the vast majority of housing going up in downtown these days. I'd like to see some projects like this built on all sides of downtown...not just the east. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

According to the DHIC website, they're taking applications now.

There are units set aside for low-income folks, but some set aside as "market-rate" apartments. But from what I see, even the market-rate units are pretty fairly priced....something VERY unique in downtown these days! :lol:

Archived