Carlton Place

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The application for lower income housing says applicants may not qualify if they are students five or more months of the year unless they meet "special exemptions." The exemptions are not listed. I've been looking for a "for rent" sign for months so I could post it on here, but never saw one.

It is the edge of "safe downtown walking" for outsiders not familiar with the area. But there is a somewhat established neighborhood immediately east and south of the area -- the fringes of South Park. It is a good option for anyone who wants to live in a building downtown but doesn't want to own.

I haven't heard anything about tenants for the retail space yet.

Generally speaking, in order to qualify for residence at a tax credit property you have to make 60% of the median income or below. The scale slides a little bit for the number of people in the household (ie dependent children).

Full time students are tricky. There are federal guidelines that DHIC must conform to. Full time students do not generally qualify unless they meet one of four exemptions:

1. A member of the household is enrolled ina federal, state, or local job training program

2. any member of the household receives Title IV

3. If you have a child that cannot be claimed as a dependent of someone else

4. married adults that file jointly on their tax return (one spouse or both may be full time students as long as they file jointly on their tax return)

• 1 month later...

I would like to go to the ribbon cutting/open house/tour, but 11 on a Wednesday doesn't work for me unless I take off work...

I figured even "market rate" would be reasonable, but never saw any firm numbers. I hope some units are on the Art of Downtown Living home tour this year...

In the retail portion, it seems there is an office occupied. It may be for lease signing, but there was no sign in the window last time I checked.

Carlton Place was built by DHIC on land purchased by the city with community development block grant funds. They got the land and financing in exchange for keeping a percentage of units affordable. Mixing in market rate units is an experiment to keep the whole complex from being a housing project with only low income residents.

I don't know if the Raleigh Housing Authority is operating the whole building, or only the income-restricted units.

Carlton Place was built by DHIC on land purchased by the city with community development block grant funds. They got the land and financing in exchange for keeping a percentage of units affordable. Mixing in market rate units is an experiment to keep the whole complex from being a housing project with only low income residents.

I don't know if the Raleigh Housing Authority is operating the whole building, or only the income-restricted units.

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a guy I met this weekend at the St Patrick's Day Parade, and he said he really wanted to reserve a unit in Carlton Place, but he can't get out of his lease soon enough. Apparently, it will be filled up by April, so if you want in, you'd better get going.

We need a lot more projects like this one...

• 1 year later...

Archived