Subway Planning and Extension

M II A II R II K

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:o Wow, that system would be awesome, not to mention a very exciting catalyst for smart growth in the city... DUDE I can't get over that map, lol. I mean, subway all the way to my house, in the east... that's almost incomprehensible! Where did you get this map?

With a complete subway system like the one shown, it would make the GO trains uncompetitive within TO borders. Would this be a problem for GO - it would probably be fair for the gov't to give it extra compensation to fulfill its role further in the suburbs.

I think a direct link from Pearson to downtown would be better though.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the TTC's top priority in terms of expansion is the extension of the Spadina line up to York University. If my memory serves me right, there are about 50 000 students at that university who have trouble getting there, or have to transfer onto the bus from the subway. That would be a good expansion plan. Actually, I believe I saw in the paper the other day, they are doing an environmental assessment of the area for the subway expansion plans. The first step of many I suppose. So maybe after they extend Spadina to York U, they could go to the airport from there, or update the Scarborough RT. This would be easy to solve if there were an abundance of money availible... unfortunately subway construction ain't cheap.

I think the problem, and argument, is that with the students that take the bus from the nearest subway stations, they aren't adding NEW passengers, whereas, the latest addition, the Sheppard Subway, added new passengers through redeveloping new condos and apartments. I think York should have a subway, nonetheless, Sheppard all the way to Downsview, and then to Scarborough Center

Archived