Atlanta-Originality?

Student

This thread was inevitable, and I am disapointed in myself that I haven't figured this out yet. I created this thread attempting to answer some impossible questions of mine. Exactly who is Atlanta? What does Atlanta represent? Exactly What is Atlanta's "theme"? What do foreigners (people who don't live in atlanta) think of Atlanta.

Examples:

Los Angeles: Hollywood, Glamorous...

New York: Shopping, Romantic, Fashion, Tourism, Dining, Nightlife

Miami: Nightlife, Beaches, Entertainment

Atlanta: Have We Figured It out Yet?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traveling abraod, you begin to see what people think of Atlanta. Basically they think of us as a genteel old south town with plantations and mint julep and all that gone with the wind stuff; sort of like a city that sprung up out of a cotton field. Living in Atlanta we can clearly see that this is not the case, but I bet people in LA don't think their city is that glamorous and I bet a lot of people in Miami could give a flip about beaches.

It seems to me that we're becoming increasingly known for traffic, sprawl, rap, and growth

I completely understand you when you say that people in Miami don' give care about beaches, but I was trying to say "When you think of Miami, what is the first thing that comes to mind?" and also, what does Miami have to offer that can't be found anywhere else?

I think Atlanta, as with many other cities, has undergone transitions regarding its identity. Aside from the sprawl and traffic, I think it really has an identity as the "land of opportunity." Most migrants from other parts of the nation who move South move to Atlanta, by a long shot.

I have always seen Atlanta as a town that manages to build the ever so delicate bridge between Civil War and Civil Rights and manages to capitalize on its involvement in both.

Of course, we are also, outside of Texas and South Florida, the largest commercial center in the Southeast.

It always seems to me that, even if it may not be true (I'm not saying it isn't, though), the image of us being the capital of the Southeast is something that works for the city.

The definition between 'metro' & 'city' has dissolved when I think most people consider Atlanta. They often refer to places in Gwinnett Co, Roswell or Stone Mountain, but the distinction is rarely made that those are locations in the metro, not the city. Nonetheless, unlike other metro areas where there is a strong distinctio between city & suburbs, it doesn't exist in Atlanta.

Same can be said for most sunbelt cities though, but it is still an annoyance.

I have always seen Atlanta as a town that manages to build the ever so delicate bridge between Civil War and Civil Rights and manages to capitalize on its involvement in both.

I agree completely. I love "civil war"(War of Northern Agression) topics, but I also recognize the civil right movement as a series of milestones that made our country better. Atlanta seems to balance those things pretty well.

Atlanta used to be called "the city in the trees". Are we still green or have we developed to the point that green city doesn't work any longer? Regardless we owe allot to Trees Atlanta. They have done an outstanding job of putting some green back into our city.

Sprawl....

Commuters...

Transplant City..."the only city where no one is from that city"

Super Subdivisions... NC is known for them but ATL can certainlly compete in the suburbs. Yet these mini communities are so far from everything I find.

It is very hard for me to understand the identity too as I only lived here for a year. I don't get a home feeling. I don't find it easy to meet people. As Southern as the city is geographically; I do not find it to have that hospitality.

I do not get the planning of the metro area of Atlanta.

I will make one recommendation about 'southern identity' in the city, move to an Atlanta neighborhood. Not Virginia Highlands or Midtown, but one that is still a little dangerous & still have a majority of native residents. That is where I live, northeast side of Grant Park across the street from Cabbagetown. And I will completely & honestly tell you - I have no doubt that I live in a southern city & that the identity is completely 'Atlanta'.

But I understand everyone's complaints about the suburbs, they are identless & lack a real geography of place.

Sprawl....

Commuters...

Super Subdivisions... NC is known for them but ATL can certainlly compete in the suburbs. Yet these mini communities are so far from everything I find.

It is very hard for me to understand the identity too as I only lived here for a year. I don't get a home feeling. I don't find it easy to meet people. As Southern as the city is geographically; I do not find it to have that hospitality.

I'm sorry you're not feeling at home here. I always thought Atlanta's trademark was our great hospitality but I guess in many areas that's not the case. To tell you the truth though, the hospitality is kind of fake. Many people who act all sweet to your face will talk about you behind your back. I'd much rather them be straight forward. You have to understand, Atlanta's culture is still developing because we're still developing and changing. Our flavors haven't melded together yet as they have in more mature areas. Hopefully as Atlanta matures it'll have more of a home feeling, like you really want to be a part of it. But who knows, Atlanta might start to grow on you sooner than you think!

he was banned because of that comment? What's offensive about that?

No....he was banned for being offensive. Just because you are favorable on one cities forum does not mean that moderators do not rove around.

We're making a list,

and checking it twice,

we will find out who's naughty or nice,

moderators are lurking around.

:thumbsup:

catchy diddy! it appears he left most of his posts on the Charlotte forum. I guess some people can't keep their offensive opinions to themselves

seriously though, can anybody give any ideas as to why he thinks Atlanta will be the Next Chicago? I'm intruiged

Sprawl....

Commuters...

I feel exactly the same way and it is disappointing. I'm moving outta here in June.

catchy diddy! it appears he left most of his posts on the Charlotte forum. I guess some people can't keep their offensive opinions to themselves

seriously though, can anybody give any ideas as to why he thinks Atlanta will be the Next Chicago? I'm intruiged

Maybe it's because the city itself tends to outshine every other city in the state (except for Savannah, maybe). Other than that I wouldn't have a clue. Atlanta doesn't need to be the next anything though, IMO.

Atlanta just needs to be Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

As a outsider (but close neighbor in Nashville), I would like to enter my opinions on this topic. When I was younger I always considered Atlanta such an enourmous city. I thought it was the coolest place on earth. I remember riding the MARTA to my first Hawks game and feeling like I was on a different planet. As a matter of fact, I think that Hawks game was my first pro-sporting event ever attended. My hometown has since landed franchises in my first two loves (Hockey and Football) so I dont necessarily go to the ATL for sports anymore. However, that doesn't mean that you guys have nothing to offer me. Stone Mountain is fabulous, Six flags is cool, i can't wait to see the new aquarium, Coke, Underground, things that a tourist enjoys. As far as stigmas are concerned I guess every city is stuck with a few. I think of Atlanta as sprawl, Interstates that are too wide, and (even though a good one) a Mass Transit system that could use a little vision. However, you are no doubt a very prosperous city. The fact that you HAVE marta says alot. We Nashvillians would kill for a system like it. Your skyline is definately the most dominant in the south, and although I am not experienced in this matter, I understand Atlanta has some cool Urban neighborhoods. (Besides, would you rather be know as the city that is growing to fast, or..... Hicksville, USA, country music, chewing tobacco and line dancing; yee-haw!)

However, as far as the opinion of how important Atlanta is, this is mine....."The closest big city." As a Nashvillian I still get mad when the Weather Channel shows southern radar with Memphis show and not Nashville (it's an inner-state grudge thing) However, every time they pan-out for a continental view, what four cities are show? New York, Chicago, L.A., and yes....Atlanta! If anyone has any doubts about your national image, there should be no question that you are truly the capital of the south!

**I hope none of these comments offend anyone, I love the city, just giving my uncensored opinion.

***FYI. I saw a very cool
History Channel-Modern Marvels
special on Atlanta's current water drainage tunnel project. Catch it if possible...very cool!

• 3 weeks later...

The definition between 'metro' & 'city' has dissolved when I think most people consider Atlanta. They often refer to places in Gwinnett Co, Roswell or Stone Mountain, but the distinction is rarely made that those are locations in the metro, not the city. Nonetheless, unlike other metro areas where there is a strong distinctio between city & suburbs, it doesn't exist in Atlanta.

Same can be said for most sunbelt cities though, but it is still an annoyance.

I get what you are saying. Like why is it that the Toyota dealership near Gwinnett County is called Atlanta Toyota? When it is over 30 miles from Atlanta proper.

Archived