Does Nashville Need a New Convention Center

Lukin

A New Convention Center?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Does Nashville Need a New Convention Center?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sure, as long as it doesn't cost me a dime!
  2. 2. Where would be the best location for a New Convention Center

• Proposed Location in Sobro
    • Church Street in the Gulch
    • Just Expand the Old One
    • On the East Bank
    • Other

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a hard choice between east bank and church street/gulch, but I'm sticking w/ the east bank. The possiblity of providing conventioneers easy access to the river for recreation/transportation is the kicker for me. Plus the proximity to downtown. The current CC helps keep our downtown businesses afloat, and I'd hate to affect that by placing it too far away. Although, I will admit that the church street site has good access too.

How about south of Gateway at 4th? Allow SoBro to fill in with 12M SF of mixed use development with ground level retail fueled by Nashvillians, conventioneers, and downtown visitors.

I wonder if the hotel lobby would go for that. After all, they're the one saying the East Bank is too far from their hotels. Is south of Gateway going to be 'too far' considering people would have to actually walk a couple of blocks.

My hope, if the CC happens, is that it is well planned. There seem to be ways to provide retail/ residential opportunities to developers by selling 'out parcels' that wrap the CC, helping to lower the burden on taxpayers. In terms of expansion, out should not even be considered. NYC is planning an expansion of the Javits, I believe, and it looks like they're going up. Why can't we plan for that?

I'm still not entirely convinced it is going to provide the economic incentives they claim. It really benefits one segment, the ones who are crying the most that we need it NOW! (hotels). If they want it that badly because they know it will benefit their industry, how about some donations to construction fund.

Related to the coliseum/ GEC, where are the hidden repairs we're going to be facing? In five to ten years after construction, will we be looking at $50 million to fix something?

How about south of Gateway at 4th? Allow SoBro to fill in with 12M SF of mixed use development with ground level retail fueled by Nashvillians, conventioneers, and downtown visitors.

I think the area is prime and it would be an equal distance if not closer from some of the Lower Broad that the Gulch/Church street location. I can see some issues being vagrant/homeless issues and the crime spike seen as you move South (of course any direction from d'town except West by Southwest show the same crime spike).

• 2 months later...

Ofcourse Nashville needs a new convention center even with Opryland near by. It's not a matter or if but when this thing will get built. Here's the convention space in other TN cities' centers.

Memphis: 350,000 sq ft.

Knoxville: 500,000 sq ft.

Chattanooga: 312,000 sq ft.

Clarksville: ActionSports Plex 24,000 sq ft.

Murfreesboro: TN Miller Colliseum 45,000 sq ft., TN Livestock Center 155,000 sq ft., Embassy Suites 80,000 sq ft. (proposed)

Franklin: Marriot Hotel 29,000 sq ft.

Manchester: 13,000 sq ft.

Jackson: Carl Perkins Center?

Johnson City: Freedom Hall Civic Center?

Archived