11 members have voted

1. 1. Happy he was selected?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The really did HAVE to vote for him. Haithcock would not have been able to convince voters to pass a bond package.

Odd, that Larry Gavreau, the biggest critic of the current administration, abstained from the vote.

Gavreau wanted someone who wasn't tied to the educational system. There were applicants who were colonels in the army, etc. All said, though, he hinted that he liked the Gorman earlier this month. If the vote was closer, he would have cast his on Gorman's side.

I'm just glad that the board realized the 'duh' that everyone else realizes. When your system is being criticised universally for its poor management, and it cannot pass bond votes as a result, you don't pick a semi-incumbent superintendant. Everyone knows that when you are in a situation like this, you need new blood. If for no other reason, then symbolism.

It is a little bit sad, though, that the choices were between some random superintendent from California and a crazy arrogant CMS bureaucrat. But I'm still glad that they selected the obvious choice. Which isn't always so likely from this school board, by the way.

Yeah it was the lesser of two evils. The real issue isn't the Superintendent. It's the School Board as they pull all the strings at CMS. The Superintendent job is just a puppet. The only way to fix CMS is to break up the School Board, and change the way it is chosen. That way you will get rid of the extremists on both sides that are more interested in punishing parts of the city, rather than get anything done.

Sometimes outsiders become reformers -- and the popular will is so strong they can push through their agenda on an unwilling governing body (like Prime Minister Koizumi in Japan) or they become figureheads with no real base (Jesse Ventura).

CMS has very deep rooted antagonisms on the board and in the system. I hope Gorman likes challenges.

Archived