Downtown movie theater coming

Coleco

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dangit, I missed this and started a new thread, GRDad, go ahead and delete it.

The DDA or the city would develop and operate a 631-space parking ramp above the street-level theater complex, 221 more than the current lot. Richard Gershenson said it was possible residential units could be built above the ramp.

NICE. :thumbsup:

631-space parking ramp above the street-level theater complex

This is awesome, but is it just me, or does this seem completely backwards to everyone? I guess I should keep my mouth shut because it's great that they're incorporating parking INTO the building design. And with residential to boot. Outstanding.

This is awesome, but is it just me, or does this seem completely backwards to everyone? I guess I should keep my mouth shut because it's great that they're incorporating parking INTO the building design. And with residential to boot. Outstanding.

Greedo, I thought the same thing, but if you DO think about it backwards, it makes more sense.

Build a parking ramp that increases parking (allbeit slightly), and build retail at the ground level as part of the parking ramp.

I'm wondering, how high does this structure have to be to hold those spaces? Probably only about three levels of parking total?

Anyone check these Detroit developers' credentials, tax liens and BBB status yet? I look forward to hearing a report back. Go Geha!!

Neal Berkowitz,

http://www.naberkowitz.com/2005/company.shtml

Gershenson Realty, Farmington Hills,

http://www.ramco-gershenson.com/

Kirco, Troy, MI

http://www.kirco.com/

These guys look like they specialize in suburban big box retail. <_< The only one who shows any promise is this Berkowitz guy, who brokered the Rave Theater project in Kzoo:

rave_theater_sketch.jpg

Aha! He's a WMU grad. He's OK! :thumbsup:

With the parking ramp in the center and residential up top, that will be sort of weird. Like a parking ramp sandwich? :P

Here are a couple of projects Berkowitz did in Birmingham:

The Willits - residential:

TheWillits.jpg

Palladium 12 - theater/mixed use

PaladiumNight325.jpg

I'm upset with Jack Loeks Theatres for getting beaten to the punch like this. They should have done this project years ago instead of adding to the mess that the M-6 corridor is becoming. Just another example of how short-sighted so many of our companies are when it comes to the development of their own downtown. Add Celebration Cinema Downtown to the Steelcase and Alticor corporate HQ skyscrapers on the list of defining downtown projects that GR will never see.

Anyone check these Detroit developers' credentials, tax liens and BBB status yet? I look forward to hearing a report back. Go Geha!!

Neal Berkowitz,

http://www.naberkowitz.com/2005/company.shtml

Gershenson Realty, Farmington Hills,

http://www.ramco-gershenson.com/

Kirco, Troy, MI

http://www.kirco.com/

My first response after 2 minutes of research. Actual working websites! YAY!!!

A theatre complex downtown is happy news, but why so many screens?

I hope they're not going to follow the suburban movie model of dreck after dreck being offered, with one measly screen devoted to intelligent, adult fare. If that turns out to be the case, I'll stick with the offerings at UICA and Wealthy Theatre.

~~~~zenstyle, still pissed that there's a steenkin' church where Eastown Theatre used to be.

Seriously, what is the problem with M-6? I drive it every day, at least from Byron Center to I-196 and I'm not understanding what the gripe is about?

Probably best not to get too off-topic here, but at the M-6/Kalamazoo Ave interchange is a mess. Suburban sprawl with parking lots a plenty is what I'm sure they're refering too.

Your stretch is still pretty "country" (I also drive it everyday).

Probably best not to get too off-topic here, but at the M-6/Kalamazoo Ave interchange is a mess. Suburban sprawl with parking lots a plenty is what I'm sure they're refering too.

Your stretch is still pretty "country" (I also drive it everyday).

You're right PBJ. :thumbsup: Let's all agree that M-6/Kalamazoo and M-6/Byron Center are pretty UNattractive and move on :lol:

I've been hoping for something like this for years. This and a downtown mall-type thing could really solidify downtown as the shopping and entertainment center of the city. We've already got most of the cool bars downtown. I was hoping Project X would include a theater but this is probably going to be better because it will be more connected to downtown and the existing entertainment area. And just think, those of you living downtown will have a theater within walking distance now. What's left? A grocery store?

-nb

Greedo, I thought the same thing, but if you DO think about it backwards, it makes more sense.

Build a parking ramp that increases parking (allbeit slightly), and build retail at the ground level as part of the parking ramp.

I'm wondering, how high does this structure have to be to hold those spaces? Probably only about three levels of parking total?

Upon further thought, this totally makes sense. I really don't know what I was thinking. I've seen parking above all other retail except a movie theater, which typically requires taller ceilings on the main floor.

I had Chicago's River East center in the Streeterville neighborhood. Parking is underground, beneath the theater and retail, with residential and an Embassy Suites hotel above.

River East

Archived