Downtown movie theater coming

Coleco

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like there may be a Rockford Development - Berkowitz sister project on Lot 5 to the East :yahoo: Unveiling later this year.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=2

The same partnership, with Rockford Development, plans to submit a proposal for the city-owned Area 5 parking lot east of the proposed theater later this year.

The theater deal is not predicated on securing the other lot, but Gershenson said possibilities of "synergies" between the theater project and the residential-retail-parking concept at Area 4 were exciting.

One concept would connect the theater and its parking ramp with the adjacent development using a car-pedestrian bridge over the U.S. 131 off-ramp that separates the lots.

Sounds like there may be a Rockford Development - Berkowitz sister project on Lot 5 to the East :yahoo: Unveiling later this year.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=2

The same partnership, with Rockford Development, plans to submit a proposal for the city-owned Area 5 parking lot east of the proposed theater later this year.

The theater deal is not predicated on securing the other lot, but Gershenson said possibilities of "synergies" between the theater project and the residential-retail-parking concept at Area 4 were exciting.

One concept would connect the theater and its parking ramp with the adjacent development using a car-pedestrian bridge over the U.S. 131 off-ramp that separates the lots.

So the parking will go on the lot That's just off of Ionia and lot 5 will get some new development? Wow things couldn't have worked out any better :yahoo:

So the parking will go on the lot That's just off of Ionia and lot 5 will get some new development? Wow things couldn't have worked out any better :yahoo:

Actually, it sounds like parking will be on top of the theater on lot 5 Gary. The DASH lot 4 WAS planned to have a 1000 car ramp in the future, but it sounds like they may put in something in addition to the ramp. Something to tie into the movie theater project. But you're right, this would shape up to be a much better alternative regardless.

In looking at the site plan, it's nice that they maxed out that lot all the way back to the S-curve (shown as the curved dotted lines).

large_movie_theater.jpg

Wow, that area has potential to be really great with this (I know I'll never go a a surburban theater again) - Tall House and that hotel, condo tower by Purple East PLUS a possible Rockford development on the other lot. It feels like they really need to expand VAA just to have an entrace and plaza on that side to connect to these developments. It's good to see some money from outside GR come in and see the great potential downtown! Keep it comin'!

Doesn't this look a lot like some ideas we kicked around quite some time ago?

Actually, it sounds like parking will be on top of the theater on lot 5 Gary.

I read it as lot 4

A partnership between Farmington Hills-based Gershenson Realty &Investment and Troy-based Kirco has offered to buy the Area 4 parking lot north of the U.S. 131 S-Curve for $3 million.

The DDA or the city would develop and operate a 631-space parking ramp above the street-level theater complex, 221 more than the current lot.

I'm confused. Lot 5 fronts Ionia (between Oakes and Cherry) and lot 4 is directly west right? And I thought the city was planning a 1,000 car ramp for lot 5, but was that really for lot 4?

I like the idea of keeping the theater off of Ionia, as I hope that street can continue to be more 'adult oriented.'

I read it as lot 4

A partnership between Farmington Hills-based Gershenson Realty &Investment and Troy-based Kirco has offered to buy the Area 4 parking lot north of the U.S. 131 S-Curve for $3 million.

The DDA or the city would develop and operate a 631-space parking ramp above the street-level theater complex, 221 more than the current lot.

I'm confused. Lot 5 fronts Ionia (between Oakes and Cherry) and lot 4 is directly west right? And I thought the city was planning a 1,000 car ramp for lot 5, but was that really for lot 4?

I like the idea of keeping the theater off of Ionia, as I hope that street can continue to be more 'adult oriented.'

You're right Gary, based on the site plan, it's definitely lot 4 that they are looking at for the theater. My only point was that the theater plan will incorporate the parking as well on that lot, and that the other DASH lot would be something entirely different.

Thanks twoshort. Having trouble relaying my brain to the keyboard lately. Need to reboot or something.

I've always loved the idea of a downtown theater. I love seeing surface lots go the way of the dinosaur while not losing parking. The only concern I have is that 14 screens seems like an overdose. I don't see the downtown theater attracting people to see Nimo, Princess Diaries, or other children's movies that are a significant portion of movies in the theaters. I think a 4 to 8 screen theater would provide better density and thus demand. Plus if one theater could be saved for independant films or limited release films it would be wonderful.

So I just looked on WOOD TV website assuming they'd have a story, too. Does anyone else find it annoying that now that there's a REAL project proposed and announced they won't report on it? It's like they only feed on rumors and not official stuff.

I guess we did have a heads up months ago here, didn't we? Didn't booklady just casually mention it once many months ago?

lot 5 NEEDS ground floor retail right up along ionia street. I cant stand how ionia street is only really built on east side of the street except for 1 block south of fulton. I've always thought that Ionia would be a really cool bar district with 2 or 3 more places on that strip. It might take away from the other dt bars but it would be a destination and probably draw more people down town

With the parking ramp in the center and residential up top, that will be sort of weird. Like a parking ramp sandwich? :P

Here are a couple of projects Berkowitz did in Birmingham:

Palladium 12 - theater/mixed use

PaladiumNight325.jpg

Think of the Hancock Center in Chicago. B-3 is retail/office. 4-12 is parking. Then the rest is more office and residential. Lot 4 will be 1/20th of that. :)

The Palladium in B'ham is more suburban-like than it is urban. If they build the Palladium in DT GR, It will be nice, but nothing to dance-in-the-streets about.

Ya just can't win in this category any more. Smaller screens and more screens under one roof will always be the profitable choice for owners. I recall about 20 yrs ago in Chicago, I think it was on Cedar, a two screen theatre, each screen with a balcony. They remodeled it as a six screen complex. Yes, they converted the two balconies into four separate screens.

MI

The aforementioned devolpers are from metro detroit.

B'ham is a nice area, an urban-like central business district in a very upscale suburb.

...with quite a few big-foot McMansions sardined into small city lots.

(I attended Birmingham Groves HS, which is actually in Beverly Hills, 48025.)

any chance this theatre will serve alcohol? or will be a carbon copy of the cookie cutter theaters we already have?

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=57...tion%20Homepage

this is a portland, or movie theater out of a old school that has couches and lounge chairs in the theater and people come serve you beer & pizza. i think this would do well in the downtown area and i've been hoping for one ever since ive tried it in oregon.

Anyone get the credit report/tax info/Moody Bond ratings yet on these guys? Just making sure we're applying consistent standards across the board :thumbsup:

All we have so far is:

Websites - check

Although, a good WEBSITE does not equal financial stability :thumbsup:

Especially since they wish to buy PUBLICLY-OWNED land.

Anyone get the credit report/tax info/Moody Bond ratings yet on these guys? Just making sure we're applying consistent standards across the board :thumbsup:

All we have so far is:

Websites - check

well we know that they had some influence in the Kzoo theatre.

Archived