Downtown movie theater coming

Coleco

Grand Rapids does have a fairly low educational attainment level, we are talking something like just over 20% of our population having an undergraduate degree and over 20% having never completed high school. So, it is a matter of knowing what the market is and serving its needs. We can debate the merits of alternative cinema but the debate has nothing to do with the current market situation. The market we do have can, and will, support a hollywood-first-run-movie type of venue downtown. It will most likey not appeal to the art/indie film crowd, nor need to, in a similar way that the areana or the BOB does not appeal to that same group. A vibrant downtown appeals to a mix of people from suburbanites who want a night on the town to angstful teenages who want to chain smoke and drink coffee. There are many venues downtown that I would not frequent but add to the use of the area and add to the prosperity of our city.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So don't be an 'outsider'. Dive in. The only barrier keeping you on the 'outside' is

your own fear of the unknown. It can be briefly uncomfortable delving into something

different than the cultural 'norm', but don't let that stop you. New worlds await your exploration.

I don't believe for one minute that those involved in the aforementioned 'alternative

culture' thinks of themselves as 'better' than anyone else. However, indie films, art,

and music do appeal to those with a degree of education that may be perceived as snobbish. But that perception can quickly be diminished if one has any kind of

curiosity of the world and a good search engine.

Oh im not arguing on my own behalf, I just understand both viewpoints here, as I have been witness to both sides of the aisle when it comes to the independent market and the laissez faire market of the entertainment industry. I myself appreciate good movies that tell a story and are fun to watch, and don't need explosions to sell them. Some of the best movies I have watched were independent films. When I was looking outside in, the notion that independent film is snobbish, and boring was the image that I got, and the industry itself did not want to shake that image off.

Is it still that way? Absolutely I have no doubt about that. Its just the image that the indie film industry is given. It is going to take some clever marketing to rid it of that image if it really even wants to.

Thank you Mejane for articulating so very well. The key word you spoke is: Curiosity. More please!

So don't be an 'outsider'. Dive in. The only barrier keeping you on the 'outside' is

your own fear of the unknown. It can be briefly uncomfortable delving into something

different than the cultural 'norm', but don't let that stop you. New worlds await your exploration.

I don't believe for one minute that those involved in the aforementioned 'alternative

culture' thinks of themselves as 'better' than anyone else. However, indie films, art,

and music do appeal to those with a degree of education that may be perceived as snobbish. But that perception can quickly be diminished if one has any kind of

curiosity of the world and a good search engine.

Curiosity is the key to all knowledge, to all questions asked and all answers given.

Indie films are the response to a film makers curiosity, questions, and search for

answers. They are the expression of someone's point of view. They can be

uncomfortable. For some, they may be boring. Or, they can blow the top of your

head off with new insight.

Embracing films, music, and art of other cultures, alternative or not, requires

empathy and awareness of the validity and beauty of thoughts, ideas, sounds,

other than what one is generally exposed to in their own culture. They are not

always going to be entertaining in the Disney definition of the world.

Some film makers have something else to say. And while they may acknowledge

their films won't receive wide distribution, I'm sure they would love just one more

person to view their work. Doing so may require opening oneself up to the bigger

world and that takes study, thought, and discovery - in other words, time.

One reason mainstream media and commercial art, video, music, tv, radio, etc.

are so successful is that it is spoonfed to the masses and people accept it without

having to think much about it.

It seems the cool thing to say, 'I hope the new movie theatre shows indie stuff,'

but saying it and supporting it are two different things. Instead, see if you really

like the alternative film genre by supporting those places that show them. Or, go

rent movies made by indie filmmakers, don't reject those that aren't English-

speaking, and get exposed - as a good friend and extremely intelligent guy did

for me. I think Vertigo knows this person as a customer, and he also turned me

on to some really incredible music, some that he picked up from a certain music

store on Division. :thumbsup:

I thought I had a pretty good music collection, until I was exposed to more world

music, electronic music, and sounds than I ever thought about before.

You won't like everything new that you try, no different than trying new foods,

but you'll be better for the experience. Opening yourself up to other cultures, film,

music, books, and art won't turn you into a snob, it will make you a better citizen

of the world.

Thank you mejane for such an articulate response. Beautiful, really.

Oh and by the way snoogit..the indie culture doesn't neccesarily think that It's better than you or anyone else. perhaps just more curious. Also please don't presume what indie film makers aspire to. Me thinks most are trying to craft a statement..a piece of art if you will. And the more viewers, the merrier.

Also curious what alternative newspapers you're referring to that"are doing well"? I don't know of any.

H

Thank you mejane for such an articulate response. Beautiful, really.

Oh and by the way snoogit..the indie culture doesn't neccesarily think that It's better than you or anyone else. perhaps just more curious. Also please don't presume what indie film makers aspire to. Me thinks most are trying to craft a statement..a piece of art if you will. And the more viewers, the merrier.

Also curious what alternative newspapers you're referring to that"are doing well"? I don't know of any.

H

oh I cant remember, but I see them all over the place, but its been a while since I have read one :P

The building proposed for the lot next door looks very similar to the building I proposed for my La Fontanelle (dream) project on the lots behind VAI.

theatre.jpg

Unfortunately I lost it when changing photo hosting sites.

I think Fishbeck designed Star and Magic Johnson theaters? Loews, AMC, Star and Magic Johnson theaters are all one company now, so it must be one of those. Fishbeck also designed some of the newest downtown parking ramps.

I like the liner retail spaces on the north and east sides. Theaters have very blank exterior walls otherwise.

As always, the Business Journal has some more interesting info on this project:

A companion project might be a mixed-use development that would be built just east of the theater on the Area 5 parking lot. That development would offer 55,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor and residential units on the second story.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...ng+Downtown.htm

I'm really excited to see what the Area 5 project will look like in conjunction with this, especially with bridges over the 131 offramp.

As far as negotiations:

Fowler and Wendt are expected to return to the DDA next month with a term sheet on the sale and an update on their negotiations.

I think Fishbeck designed Star and Magic Johnson theaters? Loews, AMC, Star and Magic Johnson theaters are all one company now, so it must be one of those. Fishbeck also designed some of the newest downtown parking ramps.

I like the liner retail spaces on the north and east sides. Theaters have very blank exterior walls otherwise.

Well I would think that the Loews people would go with a Downtown Star, just to get familiarity with the area. If that is who this theatre will be affiliated with.

so they are also proposing an adjacent building next door? do we know if this building would have any height?

sounds like only two stories from here.

Well, as the business journal said: "residential units on the second story", but I think that that site should be more like four floors.

Well, as the business journal said: "residential units on the second story", but I think that that site should be more like four floors.

at least........ I would hope it would be 10 floors or more, It would be awsome to Drive down Ionia, in a mid level canyon! When I move back, I will definately be living downtown.

I would imagine it will get some height, with a couple floors of parking on top -_- I thought that the city had planned to put a 1000 car ramp on the Ionia lot to help alleviate the crunch for spaces in Heartside, so I can't imagine they're going to let this development come in without parking for its users and then some.

I thought that the city had planned to put a 1000 car ramp on the Ionia lot to help alleviate the crunch for spaces in Heartside,

I think the city is planning on a ramp at the corner of Commerce and Cherry next to Cooley Law School to help Heartside. I think there is a rendering of it on one of these threads.

I can't stop thinking that this proposal will be the perfect link for the successful business on Ionia and whatever might happen on the other side of the S-curve in the mystery project. I wonder if the mystery developer was thinking of including a movie theater? Maybe we are going to beat them to the punch.

I think the city is planning on a ramp at the corner of Commerce and Cherry next to Cooley Law School to help Heartside. I think there is a rendering of it on one of these threads.

I can't stop thinking that this proposal will be the perfect link for the successful business on Ionia and whatever might happen on the other side of the S-curve in the mystery project. I wonder if the mystery developer was thinking of including a movie theater? Maybe we are going to beat them to the punch.

Not to sound like a dolt, but who's "we" and "them"? I don't think there is anyone on this forum involved with the theater project, is there? :dontknow:

I believe that Mr. Floria works for TPTA if I'm not mistaken.......... :shades:

True, but unfortunately I have nothing to do with the theater project. The 'we' and 'them' was meant as GR beating the mystery developer to the punch, if the mystery developer was planning on including a movie theater in their scheme.

I'll keep you up to date on the Civic Theater, but someone else is working on the movie theater.

• 1 month later...

Archived