Downtown movie theater coming

Coleco

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the July issue of Heartland Real Estate Business.

The article says the building will include 860 parking spaces.

Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber - Architect

Rockford Construction - Contractor

Hmm, it says opening in 2007. Have they even finalized negotiations on the City lot yet? It looks OK, but certainly not fantastic.

I don't understand why they need a skywalk to attach to the proposed sister project next door on Ionia. What is it, 100 feet? As we've all discussed here before, street level pedestrian activity dramatically increases the vibrancy of an area.

186435065_ec3654451f.jpg

I guess the design is okay, but I was hoping for something with a more retro look. With a white front like that, isn't it going to be awful similar to 100 Ionia?

186435065_ec3654451f.jpg

It would be nice to get Charlize Theron here for the Grand Opening!

Sorry, that's what caught my eye...not the image of the theater.

Now what were we talking about?

The use will be nice, but the look is kind of pathetic. It would have been terrific if it looked like an old school art deco or earlier theater with canopy marquee sign on front of the building. As it is, the obscene geometric shapes do not fit into the existing architectural style of downtown. I also think that they could have done a better job of using mixed facing materials.

Some of the most impressive buildings that I have seen are those that do not conflict with the surrounding architectural styles and create a good balance between the older architectural styles and newer modern styles.

Hmm, it says opening in 2007. Have they even finalized negotiations on the City lot yet? It looks OK, but certainly not fantastic.

I don't understand why they need a skywalk to attach to the proposed sister project next door on Ionia. What is it, 100 feet? As we've all discussed here before, street level pedestrian activity dramatically increases the vibrancy of an area.

Winter?! I'm sure the last thing people are thinking about between the months of November to March is virbancy :D

I like the billboard, it better damn well be electronic. Now, that would be cool!

The use will be nice, but the look is kind of pathetic. It would have been terrific if it looked like an old school art deco or earlier theater with canopy marquee sign on front of the building. As it is, the obscene geometric shapes do not fit into the existing architectural style of downtown. I also think that they could have done a better job of using mixed facing materials.

Some of the most impressive buildings that I have seen are those that do not conflict with the surrounding architectural styles and create a good balance between the older architectural styles and newer modern styles.

If the "photo" on the face of the building is a full-motion video screen it would be much more interesting.

Winter?! I'm sure the last thing people are thinking about between the months of November to March is virbancy :D

Vibrancy of the street should be taken into consideration year round. I don't see very many skywalks in downtown Chicago, yet people find their way to and from different buildings without dying of hypothermia. Unless absolutely necessary, skywalks = bad.

I don't understand why some architects (and particularly some local ones) feel the need to design everything "tricked out". Just make it look like a downtown building for Chris sake! :lol:

Is that design for this theater we will possibly be getting? If so, why are they calling it E Street Theatre?

ETA - went back and read the blurb with the pic and it is indeed E Street Theatre and i still don't get it.

I like it, I think that if they were attempting to go post modern with the architecture everyone would end up sadly dissapointed because very rarely do they include good details or quality materials in modern retro designs.

Is that design for this theater we will possibly be getting? If so, why are they calling it E Street Theatre?

ETA - went back and read the blurb with the pic and it is indeed E Street Theatre and i still don't get it.

Entertainment Street?

That was my first thought.

Exit street?

Since the road the skywalk goes over is basically an exit ramp! :D

On the design side, it's OK...actually I think it mimics the arena with brick on the sides and glass in the front. I do wish the sign was a little nicer.

Plus, looks like we're getting a MEGASTORE :D Whatever that is...just kidding! (then again, Virgin Megastore, perhaps?) Probably just a fake sign, though.

Vibrancy of the street should be taken into consideration year round. I don't see very many skywalks in downtown Chicago, yet people find their way to and from different buildings without dying of hypothermia. Unless absolutely necessary, skywalks = bad.

I don't understand why some architects (and particularly some local ones) feel the need to design everything "tricked out". Just make it look like a downtown building for Chris sake! :lol:

I agree, I agree, I agree!!!

No more skywalks!

Skywalks = bad? Isn't Minny's skywalk system well recieved there?

I think they may be well received by everyone having offices, hotel rooms, etc. above the ground floor. Street level retail suffers significantly.

VanAndel's $10M gift to the arena was contingent on the skywalk to Plaza Towers (and on to the Amway Grand). The other leg of the skywalk connects the hotel to the convention center. Clearly the hotel benefits from the skywalk, but is there much street life from one end to the other?

In addition, they visually block urban vistas.

170059710_0f19c0163e.jpg

I like it. I think it fits well with the arena. And I like the skywalk too, if it means I can leave my coat in the car in the middle of January when I park in the deck across the street. If they put in enticing street-level retail and dining facing the entertainment district, that should take care of itself by creating its own traffic. I think the skywalks in downtown G.R. are mainly utilitarian. If I'm planning on going from point A to point B in the middle of the winter, I'm going to find the warmest way possible to get there. I know where I'm going already, so if I have to walk the sidewalks to get there it isn't going to help the street-level shops along the way. As for out-of-towners, it seems like a good signage system could let folks in the tubes know what's down on the street...

I like it. I think it fits well with the arena. And I like the skywalk too, if it means I can leave my coat in the car in the middle of January when I park in the deck across the street. If they put in enticing street-level retail and dining facing the entertainment district, that should take care of itself by creating its own traffic. I think the skywalks in downtown G.R. are mainly utilitarian. If I'm planning on going from point A to point B in the middle of the winter, I'm going to find the warmest way possible to get there. I know where I'm going already, so if I have to walk the sidewalks to get there it isn't going to help the street-level shops along the way. As for out-of-towners, it seems like a good signage system could let folks in the tubes know what's down on the street...

Why go through all that trouble of making signs and spending millions for skywalks. If people were on the sidewalks, they'd know what was available. And most likely, there would be more retail available from which to choose. Plus, my bet is that ground floor retail of this project will most likely suffer because of the skywalk.

I spent a week in Chicago this past February and walked miles and miles out on the sidewalks (in much colder and windier weather than here) and I was fine. Buy a good set of earmuffs for $2.

Skywalks = surface lots = bad

I was under the impression that most of us here agreed that street level pedestrian/building interaction was of great importance. Apparently not. I think as civitas mentioned, most of us would list our favorite parts of Grand Rapids as Monroe Center from Pearl to Ottawa, Ottawa Ave by Ledyard, Fountain Street between Ottawa and Division, Ionia Ave from Fulton to Weston, and Cherry Street near Diamond (to name a few). There is a reason why, you just have to think about it and walk those areas to figure out what the difference is. How do you feel walking by the big stone wall across from Devos Place? Cold, uncomfortable, awkward? With skywalks, and people most likely using them except for the warmest Summer months, street level retail dries up.

Just you and me civitas, I guess. :dontknow:

End today's rant.

No, no, no... I'm for street level interaction. I was under the impression that skywalks aren't as bad as they seem. Frankly, all the times I've used the system there was no one else using it. :dontknow: I would rather have them down at grade level.

Just you and me civitas, I guess. dontknow.gif

No, not true! Let me (and probably many others on this board) go on record as being rabidly pro-streetlevel retail. That's part of what being a real city is all about...not aluminum tubes in the sky for the stilleto-heeled.

It depends on the skywalk. If its from a parking ramp to a building then its not good for the area. But if its from one building to another then the use is a little more relevant.

IIRC the building that skywalk would connect to is going to be offices/retail? If thats the case then the skywalk really isnt going to detract much, now if it was a parking ramp, then it would. Also if it was a residential development this too would detract from the retail possibilities of the theatre.

If its two commercial offerings then its more like going from one side of a mall to another, whereas if its residential then its different.

I guess it depends on whats going in next to this theatre I suppose.

edit: nm we are talking about the "16 acres" :P

All three are talking about a PAC on the river though.

Archived