Speaking of Downtown Lafayette...

breaux

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 new downtown condos in the works

The Daily Advertiser

Urbanites who long to live in the downtown scene soon will have the opportunity.

Can't say I'm disappointed.

Man I thought I read this as "30 new PROJECTS in the works." Not projects as in ghettos, but as in urban construction projects.

Either way, very cool! They're addressing a need in a very good way.

Man I thought I read this as "30 new PROJECTS in the works." Not projects as in ghettos, but as in urban construction projects.

Either way, very cool! They're addressing a need in a very good way.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Thirty condo projects would have been pretty big news...

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a great fit for downtown Lafayette.

Is Parkview Tower an existing building being renovated, or is it a brand-new building being constructed ?

New building. It's a lot where there was a barber shop that burned down.

New building. It's a lot where there was a barber shop that burned down.

I wondered the same thing... new or renovation. Very cool, and I think this is much-needed as Lafayette continues to grow.

By the way, breaux, any new news on north Lafayette? Any new developments? I'm guessing if not, there will be in the coming years as the other planned north Lafayette developments come to fruition.

I wondered the same thing... new or renovation. Very cool, and I think this is much-needed as Lafayette continues to grow.

By the way, breaux, any new news on north Lafayette? Any new developments? I'm guessing if not, there will be in the coming years as the other planned north Lafayette developments come to fruition.

Can't say that I've heard or read of any new projects other than the ones we've discussed here.

I don't get any inside information or know about things that are unannounced. I'm just a student who follows it all closely. I do know that there is a lot of effort being made to get people to live downtown, and I wouldn't be suprised if this project is only the beginning. I would also imagine if they do build that development similar to the Louisiana Boardwalk there will be a lot of activity. Also around the Super Target center they're building at the Louisiana Ave. interchange.

Most of the growth is happening between Lafayette and Youngsville and Broussard. It's almost disconcerting the amount of subdivisions they are building because they don't seem to adhere to smart-growth principles. I notice that around Baton Rouge, and I'm sure the same thing is occuring in Shreveport. The subdivisions with only one entrance that front thoroughfares will only cause traffic headaches in the future.

I would really like to see them work on establishing ordinances that force developers to adhere to smart growth principles. This is what is appealing to me about the northside of Lafayette, it's just a more urban area. South Lafayette is a maze of unintended thoroughfares. With the growth that our major cities are seeing now, it's time to be proactive and curb the sprawl that chokes our resources.

That was a pretty rambling answer to a simple question...

Archived